nutbird

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you considering chickens, make sure to check local regulations on that type of thing.

Certain cities (if you live in the city) are very picky about that type of thing, and won't consider any type of farm animal to be kosher within the city limits.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I got a wonderful surprise yesterday. A neighbor of mine had finished their garden and had extra plants. Guess who got them? Me! I got 4 pumpkin plants, a banana squash, a crookneck, and three cantalopes. I have more green in my garden!!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I got a wonderful surprise yesterday. A neighbor of mine had finished their garden and had extra plants. Guess who got them? Me! I got 4 pumpkin plants, a banana squash, a crookneck, and three cantalopes. I have more green in my garden!!
Be careful where you plant them.
Squashes are notoriously promiscuous and will cross-pollinate with just about anyone.

Sluts.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
More! Holy crap lady you're going to have the most amazing harvest ever!

Me, I have seeds in my indoor window boxes now: oregano, basil, chives, arugula, and I'm trying beets for the greens.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score

Me, I have seeds in my indoor window boxes now: oregano, basil, chives, arugula, and I'm trying beets for the greens.

LOVE beets! I am using a CSA this summer, but plan to plant them next summer. Try them with goat cheese and pistachios. Sooo good!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rose, you're going to have to invite us over for the harvest :D

Jenn- that sounds awesome.

And omg, beet greens with cheese? I am so trying that. I'm harvesting half my beets next week (for greens only. The rest stay for the whole plant)

Back to chickens, the Dorking is a neat breed. You'd really want to keep it away from predators due to its rarity though.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE beets! I am using a CSA this summer, but plan to plant them next summer. Try them with goat cheese and pistachios. Sooo good!
I never eat beet roots, only the greens which is why I think I might be able to get away with growing them in boxes that are only 6 inches deep.

I'll take your salad rec, but I'm adding bacon to it. ;)

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had the greens, only the roots. Hmm.. I'll have to give the greens a try this summer. :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful where you plant them.
Squashes are notoriously promiscuous and will cross-pollinate with just about anyone.

Sluts.

My squash and watermelon/cantelope are on opposite sides. So they'll just have to keep their pollen to themselves.

I hope so. I'm a little nervous I'm going to screw it up still Woot on your window boxes. I hope they work out really well for you.

Rose, you're going to have to invite us over for the harvest :D

Jenn- that sounds awesome.

And omg, beet greens with cheese? I am so trying that. I'm harvesting half my beets next week (for greens only. The rest stay for the whole plant)

Back to chickens, the Dorking is a neat breed. You'd really want to keep it away from predators due to its rarity though.

If you live close by you are certainly invited. I haven't tried beet greens either, I'll have to this year provided my beets grow okay.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
That's it, you guys have inspired me. I'm going to IFA today and getting some plants. I think I'll get one tomato, a packet of pole green beans, a zucchini plant and that will probably take up all the space I have. I've missed my garden.

Oh, maybe I'll do one of those potato plants thingies my ex brother-in-law did. He built a cage around the plant once it was established and had a good mound and then he kept burying the plant in straw. At the end of the summer he just reached in the straw and pulled out all the potatoes and then had a few in the ground. It was pretty cool.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
That's it, you guys have inspired me. I'm going to IFA today and getting some plants. I think I'll get one tomato, a packet of pole green beans, a zucchini plant and that will probably take up all the space I have. I've missed my garden.
Woohoo!
:hooray:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
If y'all get a chance, check out the garden article in Wired this month. Very cool and very interesting. Very. ;)

nutbird

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score

I agree! Dorkings are just beautiful birds - and the few I have known were very sweet tempered, too.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you live close by you are certainly invited. I haven't tried beet greens either, I'll have to this year provided my beets grow okay.

LOL@ pollen.

I don't live close unfortunately, and in a few days I'll be even further :)

If y'all get a chance, check out the garden article in Wired this month. Very cool and very interesting. Very. ;)

O rly? What's it about?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
LOL@ pollen.

I don't live close unfortunately, and in a few days I'll be even further :)

O rly? What's it about?

Various ways to grow a garden based on the amt. of land you have. From balconies to large backyards. They focus on being as self-sufficient as possible. Wired is hubby's magazine, but once he is done reading it, I am going to tear out the article and add it to my garden journal. I even changed the layout of my yard (on paper for now) and I can't wait to see just how much of my own food I can grow. (They also talk about adding chickens, bees, and rabbits for food which I couldn't do except for eggs and honey, I just can't eat my pets. :D ) They also discussed composting, rainwater containers and worm farms. Worth the look. IMO

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, Turkey.

And wow it got quiet in here.

I was going to make a simple avocado on fresh sunflower seed open face sammich, but then I went out to the garden to get fresh basil tips, and then I thought goat cheese would really go with it, and I added a little lemon juice too, and I had one helluva sandwich in the end :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to have an awesome post yesterday with pictures but the starter in my car went out. So the last of my garden plants are sitting on my table, peppers, brocolli, parsley, cilantro, basil, sweet potatoes and two yam plants as well as my two yukon gold potato plants. *sigh* Now I have to wait until I have a car again and hope the time spent in the pots don't hurt the plants. They're already root bound, poor things.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watch out with the basil in particular- It likes to bolt when stressed. Take the tips within a few days and let it grow wide (you might give it a little extra room?)

Hopefully they won't be too stressed. You know about handling roots when planting, ya?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the basil plant I picked out is really small and in no way has it filled out it's pot. I was very careful picking out the basil.

As for roots I was always taught limit air exposure as much as possible. Air = bad. Water them faithfully as they take hold, be careful not to damage or break the roots. Carefully loosen up rootbound plants so they'll start to grow. Am I missing something?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, Turkey.

And wow it got quiet in here.

I was going to make a simple avocado on fresh sunflower seed open face sammich, but then I went out to the garden to get fresh basil tips, and then I thought goat cheese would really go with it, and I added a little lemon juice too, and I had one helluva sandwich in the end :D
Want.

I totally need the goat cheese on that, and with it the sandwich sounds awesome. Of course you could always add bacon. :D