The worst nightmare you've ever had

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
What's the worst nightmare you ever had?

I had a particularly bad one a few days ago that left me freaked out all that day.

Apparently it had been brought on because I had watched an old movie called "Where Have all the People Gone" from 1974, a grim and fairly effective end-of-the-world sci-fi about a solar flare wiping out almost all of humanity with radiation poisoning within a couple of days.

My fertile imagination apparently decided to build on that concept, because my dream was that the human race found out that we had less than a year to live because the sun was getting hotter (Supernova? It didn't get more specific than that) and was going to make the existence of any form of life in the solar system impossible.

It was the vividness and finality of the dream which was truly horrific, the idea that the earth and solar system were going to be wiped clean of any proof that life ever existed. No ruins, no oceans, buried fossils, or even bacteria deep within the ground, nothing, it was all going to be reduced to superheated gases and molten rock.

It was enough to have me looking at the trees on the sides of the highway on my way to work and taking comfort in the fact that there was no reason to think that they wouldn't still be there long after I'm gone.

Just thought I'd brighten everyone's day! :)

And no, I'm not reading more into this other than it simply being a bad remarkably bad dream.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Most of my dreams are like movies. They may be disturbing but they're rarely about me -- it's like watching a horrible sci-fi movie so I don't usually get upset over them.

But I had one when I was a young child, maybe 9 or 10 years old. My family had just been robbed at knife point a few months before and I was having recurring dreams about robbers busting into our house. In that particular dream I was walking down the street, got robbed, and was shot at by a gun. I literally did the cliched thing: I sat up, screamed, woke up and found myself covered in cold sweat. I'd felt the bullet piercing through my heart. It felt so real.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some pretty horrible dreams (including last night's doozy).

One of the worst actually sounds really silly when I write it out, however. In it, I and my young cousins (I wasn't yet a mother) were being stalked by Michael Meyers. We'd run, and I'd be herding the kids away from him, only to have him pop up somewhere else, brandishing a knife or leaving little notes telling me he was going to kill us all.

Sounds stupid, but I am petrified of Michael Meyers. I hear the theme music from Halloween and I want to scream, literally.

Last night, I dreamed that I was pregnant again, but due to my IUD, it implanted in my abdomen. It was sort of an Alien moment, actually, feeling it move around. I had to have surgery and everything. I woke up in tears, even though I have no plans to have more children. It wasn't scary, per se, but it was a pretty devastating dream.

I know it's because I really want to have more kids, but we've chosen not to do so. Obviously, I am somewhat conflicted, hee hee.

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
One of the last things I remember happening in the dream was looking at the headline of a newspaper which told of how talks between nations on forming some kind of plan had fallen apart, simply because it didn't matter, there was nothing in known science that could help us even begin to deal with the situation. The only other headline next to it was how there were reports of massive increases in suicides all over the world.

On an inside page I saw what was almost like a political cartoon, on the upper half it showed primordial man running with a club, and on the lower it showed the people of the present wandering around awaiting the end in hopelessness and disbelief. I guess the symbolism of that is how mankind began and how it ended.

This is when I finally grasped the magnitude of what was happening and it completely freaked me out, and my final thoughts were how I should rush to the nearest pharmacy and buy sleeping pills because stocks were certain to immediately dry up. I wondered whether even under the circumstances suicide would still be a major sin, and if when the time came I would have to nerve to decide.

Yikes, fortunately I'm having a better day today, I think I'll watch a comedy tonight.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Walking down deserted streets covered with a couple of inches of blowing gray dust was not good, seeing people smashed to death by swinging them against a stone wall on ropes was very unpleasant, but the worst one I can think of was knowing I was a murderer with a body buried in the back yard. To feel such horror of oneself... it took all day to get over it.

I do have occasional very good dreams (and a lot of all-night everyday soap opera) to counterbalance the horror movies of sleep.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Like Ray, most of my dreams are like movies.

My worst nightmare, with none comparing, was one where my younger son was killed and everyone around me was keeping me from him - physically holding me back from going to him, although I could see him laying on the ground.

That was the scariest and most disturbing nightmare I have ever had.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Not long after my mother passed away, I had a whopper of a nightmare. I dreampt that I walked all the way to the cemetery were she is buried and dug her body back up, then snuck back to my house with it. I marveled at how light she was, and easy to carry. When I got to the house, I heard sirens approaching, and I knew that the police where coming after me from grave-robbing. I ran to the bedroom and tried to throw her body out the window, into the back yard. In the process, her body broke, and I realized that the reason she was so light was because her body was full of dead leaves and branches. I started screaming, and heard the front door being broken open. Then, thankfully, I woke up.

Weird. I have lots of weird dreams, and generally I find a good scary or weird dreams really inspires my writing. This one just disturbed me, though.