Not open for further replies.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Having not sent off any novel WIP for years, after request for partials, in my excitement I sent them off without title pages and no paper clip. This only just dawned on me this morning when I was reading something that reminded me what an author does when being professional and not trying to irritate said agents

Least if I don't get request for fulls I can blame it on that. I can imagine said agents opening up my parcel and the WIP falling out everywhere and them snatching up the pages and using them as basketball practice with their bins - and who could blame them?

I wonder how many people have sent off WIPs with something missing, like cover letters or paper clips or something?

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Some agents/editors are annoyed by paper clips, so you really can't win either way. I wouldn't worry too much about the title page if it's just a partial. It would have been nice, but I doubt very much it's a make-it-or-break-it issue. What's more important is that your pages were numbered and that your name was on each page.

If those first few pages pull an agent in, then none of that will matter, so don't worry about those issues being cause for rejection. The fact that you got a partial request is a good thing even if it does end up in rejection.

Good luck!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
PS. I just checked out your website. I am sorry for your loss and I do hope you find her someday. It is inspiring to see you turn your grief into something so helpful to others.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... no agent worth their salt is going to reject a ms they love simply because it lacks a paper clip and title page. Now if you failed to send the first page of the ms then you'd have something to be concerned about. So relax ;-)

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Well, congrats on the requests. Just proves that a good query and a good plot will catch their interest. I agree with the others the paper clip won't matter. The cover letter is to repeat your name and contact info and they have that since they requested the partial.

Fingers crossed that you get requests for fulls.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Sharon,

I bet the agents you sent the manuscripts with no paper clips and no title page are very happy. I have a feeling that they are tired of paper clips and title pages! :D

Seriously, I'm sure it's gong to be fine. Good luck!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard a person say that they would take a story hand written on a roll of toilet paper if it were good.

So, what you did isn't so bad.

Just remember a header with title of book/author name and don't number the first page. That way if it gets dropped the agent/publisher can put it back together.

I wish you luck!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You are all very sweet, although I think I'll hang onto stupidity being the reason if I don't get to send out fulls. I hate the idea that rejection could mean I really waisted a couple of years on something that no-one might like, or worst that I should have spent another couple of years on it before submitting.

Time will surely tell.

happywritermon thanks for the kind thoughts about my sister's site. We will find out December this year if the NSW Police Commissioner will offer a reward for information regarding her disappearance.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I never send a title page with partials*, and I only clip pages if the guidelines ask for it.

* All the title page info being on the top of page one, as for a short story sub.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I never send title pages or use paper clips, has never had an adverse effect that I am aware of.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
At least you didn't send the wrong version of a story, where you accidentally deleted a paragraph explaining a fantasy creature that appears several times in the book.

I'm awaiting the rejection now. :(

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
As long as your contact details are in there...

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I forwarded the same time I posted this post an email about my concerns to an annoymous Austalian literary agent who blogs - Agent Sydney - Call my Agent.

Below is her response. I found the last paragraph tempting, but well, then I think I'd just be annoying.

http://callmyagent.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Agent Sydney response is cute. And so are you. But I like the "Maybe We Are Quietly Judging You" thing :) On my paranoid days, that's exactly I feel...

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Could Agent Sydney be????.... :) LOL maddening stuff - although said agents are in VIC.

But regardless, I see, I've made a little mistake, and well, must now live by the sword despite the big, big urge to try to tell them I'm not a snowflake (Firedrake- sorry, I just borrowed the term) :D

artemis31386

All around miscreant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleymchristman.com
Considering that most agents are slowly going to paperless, I wouldn't be surprised if they were okay with you not subbing with a paper clip or title page. As long as they know how to reach you, I think its okay.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Do you at least have a header with the title, you name (last name at least) and page number? Then you're okay. Sometimes agents lose the title page anyway, but as long a they have a way to track the ms. back to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.