he said it in front of his wife

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I mean, I've never used "Hey haven't I met you in a bar?" as a pick up line OR to make girls jealous.

Perversion is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps the OP thought he was picking her up because she WANTED to be picked up and perhaps she was upset by the way his wife reacted because she felt guilty for lusting after a married man.

Just sayin'.

(lol)
A girl once asked me if we'd met before. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I realised it was a pick up line. (I was young and innocent). Still seems like an odd line to me though - too ambiguous.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even have time to think about lusting after this guy - I knew him all of, maybe, five minutes before be blurted.
And I'll say it until the cows come home - asking someone you've just met, who's seated next to her husband, with your wife next to you, whether you've met in a bar is just a little weird ... maybe I'm just not reading it the way you guys are, I just didn't see it in an innocent friendship sort of way, especially after the wife's reaction.

Pardon, I have to go let in the heifer.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even have time to think about lusting after this guy - I knew him all of, maybe, five minutes before be blurted.
And I'll say it until the cows come home - asking someone you've just met, who's seated next to her husband, with your wife next to you, whether you've met in a bar is just a little weird ... maybe I'm just not reading it the way you guys are, I just didn't see it in an innocent friendship sort of way, especially after the wife's reaction.

Pardon, I have to go let in the heifer.

Well, without actually being there it's impossible for any of us to know better than you what kind of "vibe" the guy was giving off. I mean, the question itself is, to me, perfectly innocent. But if he has a salacious or mischevious look or air about him, that changes the entire situation. Even his tone of voice can change how the question comes off.

But just seeing the words in print, it seems harmless...

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
And I'll just throw out this next thought I had:

Didn't I meet you in a bar? may be acceptable according to the social circle. A group of 20-30 somethings, married, might toss it off. You get up into the 40s-50s range, with marriage and kids involved, and perhaps it takes on a different connotation.

I think you nailed it with this statement...

It actually sounds like a control freak put-down... Like "oh hey, aren't you the tramp at the table?"

Its not like you guys were at a race track or something, i think it was out of place, and I think maybe the wifes reac tion to you was embarresment for the noodle she married.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I think you nailed it with this statement...

It actually sounds like a control freak put-down... Like "oh hey, aren't you the tramp at the table?"

Its not like you guys were at a race track or something, i think it was out of place, and I think maybe the wifes reac tion to you was embarresment for the noodle she married.

I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe the guy's an asshat. There's a guy my husband works with who says the most inappropriate things in social settings, just to get a rise out of people. He once told me at a dinner that another dinner partner's 15-year-old daughter was stacked, and asked a Columbian girlfriend of another dp if she had any good drugs. I was floored. So later, someone asked him where his wife was, and I said, "She's probably too embarrassed to be seen with him in public, what with the way he acts."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I didn't know "haven't I met you before" is a pick up line. Sheesh, no wonder women slapped me right and left when I said that. ;) Seriously, though, I never say that even if someone looks familiar to me -- I would just secretly try to figure out where I've seen them before. I still it could be many things: the man was clueless about social etiquette; the man was trying to break the ice, and he thought that was funny; the man wanted to jab his wife; the man really wanted to know if he had met her before. The thing is, we don't know, but it does seem like they have issues and the wife is misdirecting her emotions toward the wrong person.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Tbh if someone said to me 'have I seen you in a bar' I'd probably think, yeah, they've seen me somewhere and can't quite think there. I say to people, 'I'm sure I should remember you but....' all the time, cos I'm crap with faces. Am I a pull merchant? Er...no. But if I see someone I think I should recognise I try and think who they are, and if not, I ask 'em. No harm no foul, right?

It's a legit question.As Jcomp said though, it depends on how it's said -- difficult to tell from a forum.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know "haven't I met you before" is a pick up line.
It's not, I don't think.

Women and men alike constantly ask if they've met me before, or I get a lot of, "You look familiar."

I think I have a familiar and/or common face.

Either that, men and women are hitting on me constantly. *snert*

:D

I seriously think this guy just didn't think about it. Guys hang out at bars to drink with their buddies or just relax, not all guys are there hoping to find a hottie and get laid. Maybe that's just the wife's misconceptions and insecurities at work. She was rude and immature.