Anyone know any college major aptitude test?

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on starting college very soon. I want to choose a good major, that I know that I'll stick with. I always have a good idea of what I want to do with my life, but it ends up changing every year, which is annoying, because I always study those major, and work hard to become a journalist or a programmer and then I lose interest. They had elective classes back in high school that they had, and I took them. NOw that I'm out of high school, I'm not sure what I want to become. I thought of becoming a game programmer, I love gaming. Right now I'm learning to program with C# But I'm afraid I'll lose interest. Or I may choose something that's too hard for me or something I can't handle, or something that I won't be happy with later on.

I want to take a test that can help me choose a good career for me. Based on the enviorment, what I want to do, what skills I need etc. I have the ASVAB test results on me. But it expired, and I want to take another test. To see what may be right for me.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are some aptitude tests online. Some of them are actually fairly accurate. I'm sorry I don't have a link offhand. You could search for "aptitude test" or "career test" or something like that and find them. You want to take one of the real ones, not one of those short ones with ten questions.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't take a standartized test. Your first two years of college will involve taking basic studies classes in a wide range of fields (all students have to do this). It will give you a taste of the different fields. I think you can enter most colleges as an "undeclared" major and decide later. There is no rush. The best part is you still have a choice in the courses you take to satisfy your basic studies requirements. Enjoy that time--you'll probably hate some of the courses and hopefully love others. But remember, the former are as valuable as the latter. Anytime you say to yourself, "I'll never do that again." you've just found out something valuable in your life, and you've narrowed your future choices to a more manageable list.

Go and soak up everything offered. You'll never get an opportunity to do that kind of thing again in your life unless you are very lucky in your career choice or in your leisure activities.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anytime you say to yourself, "I'll never do that again." you've just found out something valuable in your life, and you've narrowed your future choices to a more manageable list.
That's true. I always thought I'd enjoy chemistry . . . until I took a chemistry class in high school. I got so bored with it that I once took a homework assignment and drew the dog Pluto using all those hydrocarbon H's and C's and labeled it Plutonium and turned it in.

On the other hand, my brother took chemistry and loved it. He ended up becoming a pharmacist (as did my sister-in-law).

;-)

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Don't take a standartized test. Your first two years of college will involve taking basic studies classes in a wide range of fields (all students have to do this). It will give you a taste of the different fields. I think you can enter most colleges as an "undeclared" major and decide later. There is no rush.

This is true for most schools. However, if you enter undeclared, please discuss options with your advisors right away. For some majors you could declare in two or even three years, but other majors might require you to make the decision more quickly, say after one year or even your first semester, to keep yourself on the track to graduate in four years. And if you don't want to graduate in four that's okay too, but know the individual requirements of the majors you might be interested so you don't start off behind.

Some majors give plenty of room to take a lot of electives within your first few years. Others, like bio or chem, are not as flexible.