The Bouncy Castle in Space

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not particularly. Nor would I call them accurate descriptors.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Just stopped by to let everyone know that I'll be doing an interview for a small station in North Carolina tonight at 8:50 (EST, 5:50 PST) and if anyone wants, they can listen via Blog Talk Radio. If you miss it, I think you can listen later using that same link.

I only slept 3 hours last night, so hopefully I won't sound like a zombie =-)

Awesome interview! You sounded very knowledgeable and interesting, and not like a zombie in the least (although, the way she kept mentioning the storm raging outside, I was afraid the zombies might be attacking.) Great job mware! :)

p.s. and good job letting her know it is your CHOICE to write for kids, lol.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still at my folks' house helping out. My mom's friend came over to visit and brought her cousin's girlfriend as well. These two people seem otherwise reasonable, but their names are Fluffy and Fuzzy. It can be hard to take someone seriously with such a name.

:roll:

So true. I bet it's hard to get mad at someone with that name, too.

When my daughter was little and I was pregnant, I asked her what she would name the baby. She said, "If it's a boy, Michael. If it's a girl, Fluffy."

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my best friend and I had names picked out for our future babies. We were both going to have one child only, at the same time so they could play together and grow up to marry each other. She was going to have a boy and name him Levi Jean. I was going to have a girl and name her Scheherazade. :roll:

I don't yet have children, but she just had her first child: a boy. And can you believe it? She didn't name him Levi Jean. :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I never heard of anyone named Fluffy or Fuzzy. How interesting. I went to college with a kid named Wyldon Wooley, and our biology professor actually snorted the first time she called attendance.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
When I was preggers with my second son, I asked my firstborn what he thought we should name #2.

His idea: Superman Boogers.

Because, he explained, he needed a good name, but if he didn't like him then he would also need a bad name.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
When I was preggers with my second son, I asked my firstborn what he thought we should name #2.

Because, he explained, he needed a good name, but if he didn't like him then he would also need a bad name.
:roll: That is classic.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score

I love his logic!

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a horrible procrastinator and it never turns out to be a good strategy. Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

Is anyone going to do Camp NaNoWriMo for August? I am and I needs a buddy.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Sheila, thank you so much for that link! That made my day. I know I've mentioned it here before, but The Phantom Tollbooth was my #1 favorite book as a kid and the reason I became a writer. Such a treat to hear how funny he still is.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Help me!

Any middle school or high school English teachers in the Bouncy Castle? I'm thinking of taking the English Praxis exams. Any study tips? It seems like I graduated from college a hundred years ago. :D

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any middle school or high school English teachers in the Bouncy Castle? I'm thinking of taking the English Praxis exams. Any study tips? It seems like I graduated from college a hundred years ago. :D

Cali has its own special teacher tests, but my advice is get the test study guides from like three different companies and look at all three. Looking at numerous guides gives a better idea of what will really be on the test, and what other material you should practice up on. Practice tests are good too! I also have to say, do study, but I don't think someone who has passed the bar exam will have too much struggle with this!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cali has its own special teacher tests, but my advice is get the test study guides from like three different companies and look at all three. Looking at numerous guides gives a better idea of what will really be on the test, and what other material you should practice up on. Practice tests are good too! I also have to say, do study, but I don't think someone who has passed the bar exam will have too much struggle with this!

I think my study-bone was broken by the bar exam. Whenever I think of tests now, my eye twitches. :Wha:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I am a horrible procrastinator and it never turns out to be a good strategy. Arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

Is anyone going to do Camp NaNoWriMo for August? I am and I needs a buddy.

I said was going to do it, so I guess I will give it a shot. Be warned: I'm a terrible buddy and I've never won a WriMo. But I can cheerlead at the very least.

August Camp will be difficult (I mean, not anymore difficult that every other one has been, but still...) because I'm also costuming for Dragon*Con at the end of August (which I will also likely fail... it's good that I know and accept these things about myself).

So if you want to cabin with me, I'm heza over there.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I did a three-day novel during August Camp NaNo, and it was really fun. But this year, I think I'm going to focus on editing TM and Trouble. But I might write a Trouble book somewhere in there. That won't be 50K, though.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Hi All,

I've been swamped with work and querying (no requests, yet) but thought I'd stop by to say, hi.

Kitty and Haza good luck on NaNo!

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
This is far from bouncy but I do need to vent. My long term girlfriend broke up with me recently. We were together for a long time and talking buying a house and getting married for a good year-and-a-half now. It basically came down to her not feeling she loved me enough (which I don't believe, because looking back I feel she does) and I think she wants to date a bit. It's hard because I loved her with all my heart. I really thought she was the one. I'm hoping we date again and get back together but of course I can't put my life on hold.

It honestly feels like one of my parents died or something, I feel so empty and lonely. Has anyone here gone through this? Any advice? Did you end up getting back together? I honestly feel like she is going through her mid-life crisis at a really young age, is that even possible? The reason I think this is because we got into a fight about a month ago and she was crying and begging me to stay and then we had 3 GREAT weeks and now this...

I keep praying we get back together, and I know it is selfish but it is hard. I just wish I could escape to my worlds but since we broke up, I just haven't been able to escape to my worlds and write, I hope I can soon. But I hope more than anything else we get back together some day.

I wish this feeling on no one, it is easily the worst feeling I have felt in my whole life.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs for king*

Not sure I can give any advice, though, since my experience with that is from being the girl who did the breaking up...

But I have been through more than my fair share of break-ups, and I can say that it gets easier as time goes on. Give yourself permission to grieve. Try to spend time doing things that make you feel a little better, like exercising or reading or talking with friends. If you don't already have a journal, you might want to start one. Writing it all down will help lead you back to writing fiction.

And one looking-on-the-bright-side note: Every life experience, especially the painful ones, will make you a better writer, with more insight into how your characters feel and why they do what they do.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs for king*

Not sure I can give any advice, though, since my experience with that is from being the girl who did the breaking up...

But I have been through more than my fair share of break-ups, and I can say that it gets easier as time goes on. Give yourself permission to grieve. Try to spend time doing things that make you feel a little better, like exercising or reading or talking with friends. If you don't already have a journal, you might want to start one. Writing it all down will help lead you back to writing fiction.

And one looking-on-the-bright-side note: Every life experience, especially the painful ones, will make you a better writer, with more insight into how your characters feel and why they do what they do.

Thank you for the kind words.

Well with you being the person to break up with people I think you can give me prime insight. Without saying too much, basically my girlfriend has been unsure of her feelings for me for a bit because she has had some crushes throughout our relationship. I think that is normal. I never thought that was a big deal but she felt terrible for it. We had gotten into a handful of fights over it over the past couple months but she always begged and cried for me to come back and so we stayed together. Literally, a month before we broke up I wanted to break up so she could search her feelings.

She agreed but after a couple hours she came to me, crying, sat on my lap and hugged me, begging for me to try it again. So we did and we had a great three weeks. Then we got in an argument in the car (over my jealousy) and now she wants to just end it. This is why I find it so strange that she is done with the relationship because we were doing so great and then just had a bad argument, something any relationship would go through. Am I crazy for thinking she just needs space to date a bit?

She says she is done and doesn't want to get back together, but that was only three days after we broke up for a four year relationship. I can't believe she can just so easily say it's done after so much history. I just think she wants to date people because we are both still really young (early 20's) and is having like a mid-life crisis really young because we have been talking about buying a house and getting married for the last year-and-a-half.

Am I crazy for thinking all this?

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry playground king. I wish I had some advice to make you feel better, or some reassurances that in the end, everything will be okay. I don't know. I think the closest I've come to feeling like you do is when my daughter became a teenager. I went from feeling like I was the greatest person in her world, to having her look at me like I was the biggest ass**** she ever met. It hurt me worse than any break up I ever had, and it took me a while to come to grips with the fact that people change and grow, and relationships change and grow. We are in a much better place right now, probably because I've learned to let her go. I hope you two can work it out, but don't stop growing yourself. Take Judy's advice and write in a journal, capture these emotions. And grieve in a positive way - exercise is a natural anti-depressant. Good luck, my thoughts are with you!