Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in "Rejection and Dejection." It isn't about a rejection, but maybe the dejection part? Either way, it's about short story submissions.

So here it is:

I made a decent short story sale and I'll appear in their debut issue.

The acceptance letter also said they loved my writing so much, they encourage me to submit for future potential publicaiton.

So here's my thinking, which shows my poor self-esteem.

1) Do they really love my work or are they just saying that? Maybe this is just a standard form acceptance and they say that to everyone they accept.

2) I don't think I have any stories as good as that one!

3) What if I submit something and they don't like it? Then I've ruined my chance of becoming "a regular."

So here I am, with several submission-ready stories, fretting if they're good enough.

Fear of success, anyone?

I guess I can stop wondering why I haven't become a success yet, huh? A sale should get me excited, not fretful. Right?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations on the sale.

They aren't lying to you. They loved your story. Because if they didn't, they wouldn't have accepted it for publication! Think about it. There are tons of submissions out there. It's not like they desperately need another one -- but they already like your stuff, and want to see more of it. So send it to them, promptly!

It's very common to see some sort of "send us more stuff" language in an acceptance letter. But that doesn't make it untrue.

And don't fret if your next submission or two gets rejected. They'll still remember you for the story/stories they accepted from you, and it will give you a little bit of an advantage, but each subsequent submission will still have to stand on its own.

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
Remind yourself what percentage of short stories get accepted for publication. You are in the top 1%. If they accepted your story, they'd love to see more that good.

Of course, I'll have the same freakout when someone accepts a story of mine. So link me to my own advice will you.

Relax, you've made a big step forward.

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

It's not standard- if they didn't REALLY like your story or style (that's the kicker) they would not want to deal with more submissions from you. Beyond just liking the one story, something obviously sparked to them about your voice and style pointing to more.

I get fretting- I tear myself down better than the bloodthirstiest of editors ever could. Saying that I won't say "don't worry", I'd just suggest putting as much of that nervous energy into writing, story polishing and making strong connections in the publishing business. You said yourself your stories are ready to be published- you're already ahead of the game.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
You're in the debut issue and they want to see more? Do you think they say this to everyone? Imagine saying it to a writer they've rejected. Oh, yeah they want more of his or her stuff. Imagine saying it to a writer who is sort of mediocre in ability. Yes, they need his/her stuff to add to their slush pile.

But they said it to you AFTER they accepted your story.

Send more. Send more NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.