• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
Maya Rock has had my full since 12/03 and from what I've heard she's lightning quick on getting back to you. I'm hoping no news is good news, but I had a couple close calls with my last book, so I'm trying not to get excited.

I haven't heard of Jodi Reamer taking e-queries anywhere. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Mythica, is it your Reaver book? She's a good match for it (based on your query).

And she is lightning-quick. She recently got back to someone on a full after 1.5 days--with a positive response.

Good luck to you! (and me, LOL)

WOOT!

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
Thanks Barber! Good luck to you too!! :D yeah, it's my reaper book and it seems like it'd be something up her alley.

Blondchen, congrats on accepting an offer from Ginger Clark!! (still stalking you on twitter haha) :D :D :D

sgh1025

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a query to Jodi Reamer about 5.5 weeks ago. I was scanning through some of the comments here and am beginning to think I shouldn't expect anything back within the 6 weeks stated on Publisher's marketplace website, eh?

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a query to Jodi Reamer about 5.5 weeks ago. I was scanning through some of the comments here and am beginning to think I shouldn't expect anything back within the 6 weeks stated on Publisher's marketplace website, eh?

Query Tracker has her fastest response at 8 days and slowest at 119 days for snail mail, and that's over 28 queries reported.

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
I got a "no, thanks" from Jodi in about 10 days over the summer. 119 is a completely different number, so I don't really know what to say. If anything, wait until mid-January to requery; a lot of agencies are going on holiday today for a few weeks.

sgh1025

Registered
Reaction score
Query Tracker has her fastest response at 8 days and slowest at 119 days for snail mail, and that's over 28 queries reported.

I got a response from Jodi today, actually. She turned the project down, but, hey, it happens. Time to try again!

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Amazed you got anything at all, this time of year...Sorry it was an R... ;)

sgh1025

Registered
Reaction score
I was too, actually. Especially after seeing all your comments. The way I look at it is she's not the right person at this time. It's just not meant to happen right now, but I'm confident in what I have and I know it will be published and represented, it's just a matter of who and when. :D

Tigerlilly

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I stumbled upon a literary agency called The Writers House-A literary Agency.

Hey all,

I stumbled upon a literary agency called The Writers House-A literary Agency on the web. I was wondering if anyone new anything about them? I saw they had Nora Roberts on their list of clients and I hope they aren't another scam. I was just hoping they aren't like the New York Literary Agency. Asking for money and whatever. How do you know when an agency is a scam or not anyway? I'm almost scared to submit my work now because of New York Literary Agency and I'm tempted to submit to The Writers House because of their long list of published authors on their website. At least I'm writing again, I just don't want to go through another mess of scams like the one I dealt with at NYLA. Can anyone tell me if this Writers House is a good agency or not? or maybe recommend some other good ones to try?

Thanks so much!

Tiger

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's House is a big agency.

Go to the bewares and background check section of this board and you can find all kinds of information about agents and agencies - legit ones and scams. OR you can type the agency's name into the search box to find a specific thread. Also check out Writer Beware.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Moving thread to Bewares and Background Check forum.

-Derek

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Writers House is a fabulous agency and you'll be doing very well if you can get them interested in your work.
agentquery.com is a great place to start researching agents.

fendybendy

Registered
Reaction score
i'm completely new to this, so i was just wondering if anybody could clear up something for me... it says on publishersmarket that d.lazar wants the first 5 pages along with the query, but not to send any attachments via email. then do i just copy and paste the first 5 pages into the body of the email? thanks!

- clueless newbie

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...I'd assume so. You may want to make a few changes in format to the pages, though, before pasting them in the body of the email: skipping a space between paragraphs and whatnot. Sure someone else here will be better informed.

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
First, I always put a bunch of dashes at the end of my query letter to delinate the break between the query and the sample, looks something like this:

queryqueryquery

Thanks,
name
contact info

----------------------------------------------------
Sample - Book Title

blahblahblah

Before you send it, you want to test-run the formatting. Sometimes when you copy and paste your five pages directly from word into your email, what looks fine on your end messes up on the reciever's. Therefore, it's always a good idea to first send the email to yourself--esp if you have a few different accounts (Ex, use gmail, send it to your hotmail and yahoo and gmail account). Adjust until it looks good...THEN send it to the agent.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
Maya Rock Question

Hi All,

I noticed that some of you queried Maya and she requested a full MS. I am currently in this boat and can attest to the lightning fast response time. I was wondering - does anybody know how long it takes for her to get back to you after the request? I know it must take a while to read a full MS when you're a busy agent, but I'm anxious/nervous/etc. and just thought I'd ask. Has anybody heard anything on a requested MS yet?

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Reamer question

Hi, Everybody!

I've been watching this site for a while, but last night I finally took the plunge and registered. I was hoping someone could tell me if Jodi Reamer (or her assistant) responds to queries via snail mail or via email. I sent my query and first chapter on November 15th, and - being now at the 8 week mark - I'm wondering if I should be obsessing about the mailbox or my in box!

Thanks very much!

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed that some of you queried Maya and she requested a full MS. I am currently in this boat and can attest to the lightning fast response time. I was wondering - does anybody know how long it takes for her to get back to you after the request? I know it must take a while to read a full MS when you're a busy agent, but I'm anxious/nervous/etc. and just thought I'd ask. Has anybody heard anything on a requested MS yet?

I cannot tell you about a full, but she responded (with a no) to my partial (50pgs) within two weeks. This was back in September.

I'm waiting on a full with someone at another agency, and it's now four months...people keep telling me it takes time, and not to write-off agents until about six months (esp if they don't respond to a status email at six months). In the meantime, keep sending out the queries, or you will never get your baby published. And I found starting a new novel really helps the jitters--I deal with the queries on Mondays, so I only have one mind-wracking day a week.

Good luck!