JUST BECAUSE

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Conversation between my daughter and me.
Me: 'Mary Elizabeth, is it smart to poke a hot, boiling potato with your bare finger to see if it's done?'
Mary Elizabeth: 'No. That's dumb. That's very dumb!'
Me: 'It's dumb, huh?'
Mary Elizabeth: 'You just did that, didn't you?'
As Ray Stevens would say, 'Yeah, I did.' LOL

*No finger was harmed in the making of this post.
*Not recommended to try at home.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I know this guy everyone calls Crebbs... he came home one day after pulling a triple shift. He says he was completely exhausted, barely awake, but very hungry. So he sat a pot of water on the stove, brought it to a boil and dropped 4 hot dogs in... and he stood their and waited, and shifted his weight back and forth as his felt his thoughts get drowsy.

When the hot dogs finally looked like they were ready, he reached into the water with his fingers to grab one. *Yeouch* he said, and drew his hand back and looked at it - dumbfounded as to why it hurt. So he shook it off and reached in again... only to have the exact identical reaction. Crebbs says he did this four times before his brain finally made sense of why it hurt and he went and got a fork...

Since then, every time one of the few of us that were around to hear him tell this story do something blatantly stupid... we say we 'Pulled a Crebbs" =)

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I know this guy everyone calls Crebbs... he came home one day after pulling a triple shift. He says he was completely exhausted, barely awake, but very hungry. So he sat a pot of water on the stove, brought it to a boil and dropped 4 hot dogs in... and he stood their and waited, and shifted his weight back and forth as his felt his thoughts get drowsy.

When the hot dogs finally looked like they were ready, he reached into the water with his fingers to grab one. *Yeouch* he said, and drew his hand back and looked at it - dumbfounded as to why it hurt. So he shook it off and reached in again... only to have the exact identical reaction. Crebbs says he did this four times before his brain finally made sense of why it hurt and he went and got a fork...

Since then, every time one of the few of us that were around to hear him tell this story do something blatantly stupid... we say we 'Pulled a Crebbs" =)

:roll:

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Old Deliveranceville Proverb:

While it is true a watched pot never boils, it is also true that an unwatched pot boils over.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Just because:

If an unwatched pot boils over in the woods, does it scald anything?

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does the grass scream once the scalding begins?

I haven't put my hand into really hot water accidentally in a long time. I have however, bumped a really hot pot or pan with my hand in the past year. That was just as dumb.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I get burned a lot in the kitchen. I need to hire a hot fireman to cook for me.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at green bedrooms online.

edit to add: that doesn't have anything to do with hot firemen

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
The only fireman I know is the fat bloke who lives near me, and sadly he is not hot. The hottest guy I know is my secondary/high school's IT technician, who had to leave because of sexual harrassment from pupils AND teachers (true fact!)...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just because...

I was boiling eggs yesterday and I left them on the range while I went to my bedroom and logged onto AW (of course).

Well,

about 45 minutes later, I heard this "pop, pop, POP"

Yep, I'd forgot they were cooking and when I ran into the kitchen, I found egg all over the stove and the counter and the floor and the cabinets - It really stunk the kitchen up, too - Had to turn the exhaust fan on and light a Yankee Candle.
icon11.gif

I plunged the pot into the sink, filled it with cold water, peeled the remaining eggs and was able to make egg salad for Mr. Hunny's lunch for today.

Oh, and YES. I did burn my fingers on the "hot" eggs.

Is there a moral to this story?

I dunno. :Shrug:

I'm rambling now, aren't I?

Ok,

Carry on.

< I lurve and miss you too, Milly > :Hug2:

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Just because...

I was boiling eggs yesterday and I left them on the range while I went to my bedroom and logged onto AW (of course).

Well,

about 45 minutes later, I heard this "pop, pop, POP"

Yep, I'd forgot they were cooking and when I ran into the kitchen, I found egg all over the stove and the counter and the floor and the cabinets - It really stunk the kitchen up, too - Had to turn the exhaust fan on and light a Yankee Candle.
icon11.gif

I plunged the pot into the sink, filled it with cold water, peeled the remaining eggs and was able to make egg salad for Mr. Hunny's lunch for today.

Oh, and YES. I did burn my fingers on the "hot" eggs.

Is there a moral to this story?

I dunno. :Shrug:

I'm rambling now, aren't I?

Ok,

Carry on.

< I lurve and miss you too, Milly > :Hug2:

Reminds me of the time I microwaved the leftover Brussels sprouts a little too long. When I heard the pop, pop, pop in the microwave, I thought it was popcorn. :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I microwaved the leftover Brussels sprouts a little too long. When I heard the pop, pop, pop in the microwave, I thought it was popcorn. :D

DANG!

Those bad boys must have been as hard as rocks at that point, huh? :D

Last edited:

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
The Brussels sprouts didn't get hard, they just exploded and disappeared off the plate. Then there was this green confetti dangling from the roof of the microwave.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited! I've got a bud on my gardenia bush for the first time ever. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Just because I'm so horrible with plants that I can manage to kill cacti. :(

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
We've had a lot of beautiful yellow blooms on the wild prickly pear cactus around here. :)

Mine flowered once, when I first got it. It hasn't flowered since :( But it is growing nicely :D

Just because I'm so horrible with plants that I can manage to kill cacti. :(

Trust me, it's impossible. You basically only have to water it once every month, and then sit it in the sun :p Well, I water mine more in summer because it gets quite hot here. But so long as you water it when the soil gets dry it should be fine.