The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikrpreacher

America House Book Publishers

Used it as recenly as this year...more than once. Thanks for the help! Quotes; learn something new here every day.

Okay, I'll be back. This is interesting. I'll probably be up all night, looking for something that may not be there in the morning now, but I'll explain later.

By the way, Dee, that was a very nice welcome, and I saw Ed Williams welcome also, read his article on site, very good.

Chris

BeckEaston

America House Book Publishers

I need to know if anyone has heard of America House Book Publishers by this name and no other, this question is not off topic of this board. I don't want to say more than that. I tried google, it doesn't come up.

It is Publish America. It is one of their titles that they are using right now through Lightning Source. Maybe they're trying to go from or to it to get their funds all tied up, I don't know. But it is PUBLISH AMERICA. Steer clear.

Send me your email address and I will gladly add you, Chris.

bikrpreacher

Re: Allow me to add a little something here.....

DaveKuzminski ,I sent you a rather long message...

Beckeaston, sent you my email address...

bikrpreacher

I erased this

I posted a quote about a book that the author had not seen before so I erased it from here. My apologies to that author who wrote and questioned me about this.

I am not trying to find out information on any author, understand this PA authors, only the publisher.

Chris

bikrpreacher

Sher2

You said, "I do, however, know of one book which, if you look it up on Amazon.com, PA is listed as the publisher, while BN.com lists the publisher as America House."

How long has the book you are talking about here been out?

Thanks, chris

ByGrace

Re: Erica House

If you go to Amazon.com click the Search box, then type in the publisher box Erica House, up comes 35 books. I remember these titles, from when I was searching for a publisher. I found Erica House, then was directed to the America House page.

Do the same search for America House, and 97 titles come up.

James D Macdonald

Re: Sher2

BN.com lists all PA books as coming from America House.

PA and AmErica House are essentially the same thing.

bikrpreacher

Jamesdmacdonald

"BN.com lists all PA books as coming from America House."

My PA book is listed under publishamerica on B@N

bikrpreacher

Re: PA Authors on the Petition

Sorry for the deletions everyone. I need to try to think about all sides before posting, this one wasn't important anyway.

FM St George

Sad Story...

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/7259.htm

so even after getting a booksigning he still can't get the books...

sounds familiar.

:(

I'm waiting for the responses that tell him to simply max out his credit card, buy a few hundred and then try to resell them himself - of course, that's what all the *real* authors do.

*shakes head*

Arden19

Re: at least pa knows when there are grammar errors...

That's because the grammar check in Word is a joke. It wants to correct things that are already correct, and all the PA "editors" are doing is clicking "accept" or whatever it is that will insert whatever change Word recommends. My biggest advice to people about grammar is to say it out loud. If it sounds right, then it probably is. If it doesn't sound right, then guess what. ;)

Ed Williams 3

This is a sad situation....

...this poor PA author has actually opened up her own bookstore, stocking it with lots of PA books, and now has to tell everyone to stop sending books to her as her shelves are overflowing....

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../11455.htm

She seems very nice and well intended, which is what infuriates me the most about PA. They take good people, abuse the hell out of them, and then lavish abuse on them if they dare complain. How incredibly sad.

James D Macdonald

Re: Jamesdmacdonald

My PA book is listed under publishamerica on B@N

Okay, then. An awful lot of PA books -- all the ones I've checked -- are listed as coming from "America House" at BN.com.

<HR>

The grammatical error question: What happened to the PA editors who go over each manuscript carefully line-by-line and make thousands of corrections every day? (The grammar in that particular post wasn't too bad -- the poster used "two" for "too" and "your" for "you're," and misspelled "grammatical" -- but those are easy to fix.)

<HR>

The author who's unable to get books for his booksigning has two problems. First is that his book isn't available from wholesalers at all (I expect he's caught in the "One Source" problem). Second, the bookstore expects to get the books on a returnable basis. We know that isn't going to happen.

Now it's true that sometimes legitimately published authors can't get books for their booksignings. The usual reason is that they schedule the booksigning for the date of the book's release, not realizing that bookmaking is an industrial process, and it takes a while for cartons to make their way from the printing plant to the warehouse, then out to individual bookstores. (When you hear about major books with thousands of copies in stores on the first day, that means that the books were printed and shipped well in advance and held in a back room, embargoed until that date. That's extra time and trouble -- bookstores will do it for Harry Potter, but they won't do it for you and me.)

James D Macdonald

Re: Sad Story...

I'm waiting for the responses that tell him to simply max out his credit card, buy a few hundred and then try to resell them himself - of course, that's what all the *real* authors do.

You are psychic, FM. That response came in about an hour after you posted here.

FM St George

Re: Sad Story...

whoa...

:lol

now if I could only win the Powerball and buy out PublishAmerica...

:rollin

on another note - can you IMAGINE the amount of bankruptcies that PublishAmerica is probably responsible for?

:(

matrix83

Re: Sad story

I read a couple of weeks back on their bulleting board that one new author, having just signed the contract for his first novel, was quitting his day job so he could focus on his book....

ByGrace

Re: Hang in there...

That is terrible that he/she would quit their job. I feel very sorry for writers who think if they get a book contract it's like winning the lottery. I hope someone replied they should keep their job.

I have a question. Publish America is a member of The American Association of Publishers. I looked at the AAP website and it appears to me that all you have to do is publish books. There are now ethics in publishing listed. The Association of Authors Representatives has strict guidelines and ethics in order for a literary agent to be a member. Why doesn't the AAP, and if they do, why is PA a member?

Chacounne

How Long After Release Date?

So how long after a book's release date should the first book signing be scheduled ?

Thanks,
Chacounne

DeePower

Well I don't know about PA but

Our new book published by Dearborn Trade has a pub date of March 1, but it won't be available in stores until April. Most publishers will work with you in setting up a book signing and will tell you when the book is available. It's against their interests to have an event when the books aren' available.

John Wiley & Sons,the publisher of our previous two books, made sure our book(s) were available in bookstores as well as at the events when we did our seminars/workshops/speeches. That way when we got publicity for the event, the bookstore had the books to sell as well.

Dearborn Trade is assisting in the same way. Actually Dearborn is doing more marketing for our new title.

Both Wiley books are still selling and I can go into bookstores and find them.

That's how real publishers work.

Dee

TuppGal

Re: RE: No need to send me an email!

I agree.

Mine has me at three book fairs doing author signings plus he gave out near 200 books for review and to media. I got 10 author copies.

at PA they told me to call the library for a book signing, buy my books for it and go. They gave out -0- review copies, and I got 2 badly done books.

Hard to tell the real publishers from the non isn't it? lol

Tina

bikrpreacher

Re: For Victoria

TuppGal, WOW...kicking myself. The difference is absolutely amazing.

New question, does LightningSource only print POD books?
-Never mind, I finally got the computer to open the pages on their site...

FM St George

Verboten...

well, aside from the one post telling the UK author to max out his credit cards, no one seems to be offering any comments...

must be afraid of incurring the wrath of the Logo - or they really don't want to speak up and expose PA for the fraud they are...

go ahead, boyo - mortgage that house and get a trunkful of books! Better yet, get the books and pay a publicist to flog them around in vain hopes of getting it picked up by a movie studio or a major bookstore chain!

Meiners et al must have stock in this somewhere...

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.