The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
SC, I don't know how it works at Waldenbooks (are the part of B&N?) But I've had experience with Borders. Borders doesn't look at the Ingrams or B&T database. The books have to entered into the Borders Inc database to show up. It's not automatic either. I'm waiting for Talisman of Zandria to be entered - they've agree to carry it in their database. Of course, it could take up to 90 days, so it may not be in until April, but it will be there. Borders also assigns each book it's own number in their database, called a BINC. Without a BINC, Borders stores can't order that book, no matter who distributes it.

I don't think many PA authors understand how this works. Heck, I don't think many authors in general understand how it works. It's the same with B&N, but sometimes you get a B&N regional director who will let the managers order outside their database.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Christine N. said:
The books have to entered into the Borders Inc database to show up. It's not automatic either. I'm waiting for Talisman of Zandria to be entered - they've agree to carry it in their database. Of course, it could take up to 90 days, so it may not be in until April, but it will be there. Borders also assigns each book it's own number in their database, called a BINC. Without a BINC, Borders stores can't order that book, no matter who distributes it.

I've spent quite a bit of time in my local (twenty miles away) Borders, and I know even less about their operation than when I started trying to peel the layers.

It took about four weeks from when my book showed up on Amazon to being listed at Borders. I did nothing to make this happen except wait. One Saturday I typed my book's title into a Title Sleuth machine, and there it was. My son had said he would only order it from Borders, so I printed a little ordering note from the machine and presented it to him. With a sigh, he carried it to the customer service desk and placed the order.

When he received the "we can't get this" postcard a few weeks later, I went into the store to inquire. While I watched, a girl typed in my ISBN, and a screen came up with "not available". The girl said, "Hmm. Let me try something else." She closed out the window she was in, typed in a few things, including a password (I politely looked away). After accessing a few more windows, she showed me a screen that read:

Ingrams: *out of stock*
Baker & Taylor: *out of stock*
order this title from the publisher

which she did at my request. About three weeks later it arrived in the store.

A few months after that, a girl I was dating ordered my book from the same store, and two weeks later got the "we can't get this" postcard. I gave her my last copy, and less than two weeks later she broke up with me :( .

My macho side thinks it was my writing that turned her off, and my intellectual side just knows it was my looks. Either way, I'm sleeping alone tonight...did I just say that outloud?

Sootie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
p105.ezboard.com
Question about Lightning Source

Hi everyone. I just thought I`d ask your opinion of something. I had written to Lightning Source asking if they were still producing my PA books. My rights were reverted back to me on July 21, 2005. This was their response. Since when does Ingram purchase mega copies of PA books? Something just doesn`t seem right here. Comments?

Thanks,

Sootie.

Linda:

Thank you for your most recent inquiry to Lightning Source Inc. Please know Lightning Source is NOT printing your titles any longer, due to Publish America requesting us to cancel them several months ago. At the same time, Ingram had previously purchased copies of your book prior to them being cancelled, which they still have in stock in their warehouses. For this reason alone, other retailers or distributors would be allowed to purchase those unsold copies. This is the reason your title is still available thru Ingram. There are NO copies being printed any longer thru Lightning Source, but copies previously printed and sold to our distributors during your contract with Publish Amercia are able to be sold until those particular units are depleted.

Hopefully this answers the concerns you have concerning your two ISBN's which were published thru Publish America, printed by Lightning Source prior to the cancellation.

Patti Roberts
Manager, Client Services

Lightning Source, Inc
1246 Heil Quaker Blvd
LaVergne, Tn 37086
www.lightningsource.com
Phone: 615-213-4478
Fax: 615-213-4426

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
You might check to see how many copies Ingram has on-hand. I doubt that they have "mega copies", but likely 1 or 2 copies that would still be available until sold.

Hopefully royalties were paid on those copies...

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow, SC, you got lucky. The regional directors around here are tight fisted. If it's not in the Border's database, no dice. They look at one screen around here and one only. Probably because we're wedged in here between Philly and New York, and there seem to be a lot of PA authors here. Or maybe it's just a lot of POD authors in general.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Christine N. said:
Wow, SC, you got lucky. The regional directors around here are tight fisted. If it's not in the Border's database, no dice. They look at one screen around here and one only. Probably because we're wedged in here between Philly and New York, and there seem to be a lot of PA authors here. Or maybe it's just a lot of POD authors in general.

I'm sure a big reason for the widely ranging bookstore "policies" are directly a result of incidents at the local (or regional) level. Managers rarely notice inefficient transactions until there is enough activity to be designated as a trend. Once a trend has been noticed and a cost analysis has been performed, a decision has to be made as to whether the little (or no) profit generated from this service is necessary to retain customer satisfaction. Add to this problem the frequently extended wait for ordered books, and the number of these that are never actually purchased, and the manager may have to take steps.

The moral of this story is: if you are thinking about having your book printed by PA, don't be surprised when the bookstore manager refuses to stock (or even order) your book. They make next to nothing, you make next to nothing, and your (few) customers pay a hardback price for a soft cover book.

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Christine N. said:
SC, I don't know how it works at Waldenbooks (are the part of B&N?) But I've had experience with Borders. Borders doesn't look at the Ingrams or B&T database. The books have to entered into the Borders Inc database to show up. It's not automatic either. I'm waiting for Talisman of Zandria to be entered - they've agree to carry it in their database. Of course, it could take up to 90 days, so it may not be in until April, but it will be there. Borders also assigns each book it's own number in their database, called a BINC. Without a BINC, Borders stores can't order that book, no matter who distributes it.

I don't think many PA authors understand how this works. Heck, I don't think many authors in general understand how it works. It's the same with B&N, but sometimes you get a B&N regional director who will let the managers order outside their database.

Waldenbooks and Borders and Book-a-Million are part of the same corporation.

B&N and B. Daltons and Bookstar are the same corporation

Davis-Kidd and Joseph Best are now the same corporation.

I have seen Waldenbooks and Borders and B&N managers all accept literature from authors and smile, and then trash it the moment the author leaves.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Sootie said:
Hi everyone. I just thought I`d ask your opinion of something. I had written to Lightning Source asking if they were still producing my PA books. My rights were reverted back to me on July 21, 2005. This was their response. Since when does Ingram purchase mega copies of PA books? Something just doesn`t seem right here. Comments?

Thanks,

Sootie.

Linda:

Thank you for your most recent inquiry to Lightning Source Inc. Please know Lightning Source is NOT printing your titles any longer, due to Publish America requesting us to cancel them several months ago. At the same time, Ingram had previously purchased copies of your book prior to them being cancelled, which they still have in stock in their warehouses. For this reason alone, other retailers or distributors would be allowed to purchase those unsold copies. This is the reason your title is still available thru Ingram. There are NO copies being printed any longer thru Lightning Source, but copies previously printed and sold to our distributors during your contract with Publish Amercia are able to be sold until those particular units are depleted.

Hopefully this answers the concerns you have concerning your two ISBN's which were published thru Publish America, printed by Lightning Source prior to the cancellation.

Patti Roberts
Manager, Client Services

Lightning Source, Inc
1246 Heil Quaker Blvd
LaVergne, Tn 37086
www.lightningsource.com
Phone: 615-213-4478
Fax: 615-213-4426

A few pages back there was a link that could tell you how many books Ingram had in stock. I think Uncle Jim could elaborate more on that though.

-Sparhawk :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's a phone number. You call from a touch-tone phone with the ISBN in hand:

(615) 213-6803

Also of interest: the date on which PA told LSI to stop producing books. Was it the same day that they sent you your reversion?

DeePower

Four copies to one

About a year ago (February 1), Ingram had four copies of the book PA 'printed' that I wrote. I got the rights back effective Feb 1, 2005. Ingram now has one copy in stock. As long as that one copy is in stock they have the right to sell it. I was fortunate in that I was able to get amazon.com to remove the title so it doesn't show up. However there are a number of other online bookstores that still show it available.

Additionally anyone who purchased a copy has the right to resell it

Linda, you can go here and find out if Ingram has any copies. As you can see your first book isn't available. Ingram does have copy(s) of your second book.

http://www.bookmanager.com/tbm/?qs=Linda+Oness&q=h.ts&opt=au&tsf=y&x=14&y=8&nbid=0&sj=0

Dee

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ingrams' stock number:

(800) 937-8000
opt. 4
ext. 36803
Enter ISBN

This'll give you:

# on hand in storage
# on order by bookstores
# on backorder by warehouses
Current week demand
Last week's demand
Total sales for year
Total sales past year

If there are copies in storage, it'll also tell you in which warehouse.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Figures that they'd change it on me! Last time I called, they gave you an option of what info you wanted, and "opt 3" was "all info". I'll correct it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Snark has posted a response to the question of whether or not royalties of "10% of wholesale price" were becoming standard. The post includes a discussion of a more precise term than "wholesale," as well as a short note on royalties on net.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Without a BINC, Borders stores can't order that book, no matter who distributes it.

Not entirely true. What a lack of BINC means is that it can't be stocked by the store on the shelf, but that we can try to obtain it as a special order for a specific customer with a little jiggery-pokery.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
200 authors book

From PA website:
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]200 Authors and How They Were Published[/font]
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]John Charles Keohane [/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This work holds two hundred authors in one book, each with their own pages and each with their own stories to tell. These are the authors from PublishAmerica, and this is their book.

To become a published author is a dream come true, but to share that dream is an even greater ambition. Inevitably, it is you, the reader, who ultimately decides which authors make that pinnacle of all heights—the BESTSELLER!

From first being accepted by the publisher to holding those precious author’s copies for the first time, each stage of publication is an amazing one. Each and every one of those stages makes the entire experience a reward in itself.

For those of you who are pursuing your own dream of becoming a published author, this book will be an inspiration. For everyone, 200 Authors and How They Were Published will be an amazing insight into the lives of some very incredible authors.

Although there are many publishers to choose from, all 200 authors featured in this book have chosen PublishAmerica—and with good reason. This publisher is amazingly supportive of new and existing authors, and they treat everyone with the respect they deserve.

This book is personal; this book is special; this book is the TWO HUNDRED.
[/font]

Am I reading this wrong? Or is this book being promoted as "How To" book with PA as the answer?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here...I always get confused as to what belongs on the overflow and what belongs here.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
It's a phone number. You call from a touch-tone phone with the ISBN in hand:

(615) 213-6803

QUOTE]

Ingram has a toll-free number

1-800-937-8000

ex. 36803

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I went to Book Manager when Dee posted the link to Sooty's book. I checked my own. Lurkers, here is another reason not to go with PA. They did not take care to have my name attached to the book I wrote, nor give it the proper genre.

It looks as though the publisher Publish America has sent out the wrong information regarding titles and the authors who wrote them.

I was quite disturbed to find my name attached to a book I did not write, and another author’s name attached to my book Thorns In Eden. Although my books are currently out of print, I am sure these other authors would not be happy to see their names listed as the authors of my books, or my name attached to their books. On Book Manager is the following.

Drop-Ins
by Rita Gerlach
Publisher: Publishamerica Inc {PBLAM}
Paperback (TP) (278 Pages, 6.00 x 9.00) ISBN: 1592862xxx
Published: September 2003 Low Demand
Fiction Thrillers Adventure thriller Crime mystery

Tom Wells is the author of this book, not me. This same thing happened about a year ago on some of the online bookstores. It turned out, by doing a search, that many titles had the wrong author.

Thorns in Eden
by Dallas E Boggs
Publisher: Publishamerica Inc {PBLAM}
Paperback (TP) (327 Pages, 6.00 x 8.75) ISBN: 1592869xxx
Published: September 2003 Low Demand
Fiction Suspense Romance historical

This is my book. I searched for Dallas Boggs over at Amazon and could not find him anywhere, nor could I find a website. On Sooty's Author Guild not long ago, Ed put up a thread where a PA employee was answering questions. She said the 'editors' at PA must meet a quota of books. Could the above be what she was talking about, where she said some 'editor' took titles and names and put them together, making a bogus book, but able to meet their quota this way? The isbn is correct, but not the name. Also this may explain why my local Waldens told me they couldn't get my book in for a customer because it wasn't listed?

This is a sloppy way to run a printing company! I hope PA reads this thread. Although I am free of you, PA, I expect this to be changed. I own the copyright. This is my book. How many other authors have the wrong name or title? I have written to Book Manager.

I suggest other authors check their books at Book Manager and the online stores to see if the information is correct.

Rita Gerlach

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
This publisher is amazingly supportive of new and existing authors, and they treat everyone with the respect they deserve.
My emphasis.

That's a loaded statement if I ever heard one.

PA treats everyone with the respect they think you deserve. If you want respect, better go somewhere else.

shelagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelaghwatkins.co.uk
DeePower said:

Dee,
I followed this link but I couldn't do a search on my book. Do you need to register to do a search?

I did a search on bookfinder.com and clicked on a link to chapters.indigo.ca and found that my book has been reduced by $7.76 from $23.50 to $15.74:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item....agh+watkins&N=35&Lang=en&Section=books&zxac=1

What does this mean. Is this good or bad?

Thanks,
Shelagh

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
shelagh said:
I did a search on bookfinder.com and clicked on a link to chapters.indigo.ca and found that my book has been reduced by $7.76 from $23.50 to $15.74:

Check again in a few days. Some pricing glitches have shown up recently—it usually goes back up pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.