Stop PublishAmerica

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
Let me make this clear, I am not asking anyone for help, I am telling you what I am doing to stop PA. If you want to make a commit feel free to do so.
I have 13 blogs and I have people from all over the world come and read the truth about PA every day. I publish on twitter everyday and I will start like this.
PublishAmerica when are u crooks going to give me the info about last yrs Oprah Scam ?
They can't sue me for asking them something !
I have been doing this for 16 months.
It all started when Raymond pissed me off because I ask to be released from my contract.
If everyone did what I am doing I think PA would shutdown a lot faster.
after I started doing this I noticed PA started going down-hill.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your issue, but they have been 'going down-hill' for years now.

They'll only shut down when impatient folk start researching instead of first signing up and paying them and then researching or finding out the hard way, and sadly there's no obvious way to keep the flood gates shut.

All we can do is try and stem the flow a little.

Good luck.

Let me make this clear, I am not asking anyone for help, I am telling you what I am doing to stop PA. If you want to make a commit feel free to do so.
I have 13 blogs and I have people from all over the world come and read the truth about PA every day. I publish on twitter everyday and I will start like this.
PublishAmerica when are u crooks going to give me the info about last yrs Oprah Scam ?
It all started when Raymond pissed me off because I ask to be released from my contract.

Last edited:

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying I started PA going down-hill, I am saying I noticed after I started my posting. True it will only stop when new authors stop signing with them even after they know about PA !

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
No but they can sue if you call them crooks.

Speaking personally, I would not post such an accusation on any public media, but that's just me.

I hope you've also used the last 16 months to write more books.

-Derek

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
No but they can sue if you call them crooks.

Speaking personally, I would not post such an accusation on any public media, but that's just me.

I hope you've also used the last 16 months to write more books.

-Derek
Yes, I am writing a e-book called Jake and Jo and promoting it on my blog Proffitt Books and to check it out you search "e-book Jake and Jo"
It has a little bit about my book on the blog.

Last edited:

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I would be better off if I just forgot about PA and spent more time writing my book. I could use all those blogs to promote my book. What do you think ?

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's better to have one really, really good and polished blog than thirteen, to each of which you either dedicate 1/13th the time or make copies of one another.

If you want people to be interested in what you do, give them one main portal in any medium you are using. Keeps the attention from being scattered, keeps people who only subscribe to one from missing out on others, and keeps you from looking mentally unstable.

And yes, write the book. :)

Added: This from the guy working on a second blog. It's for a different purpose, though. I'll think about that and see if I need to take my own advice.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Let me make this clear, I am not asking anyone for help, I am telling you what I am doing to stop PA. If you want to make a commit feel free to do so. It's "comment", and no one needs your permission. Starting a thread doesn't grant ownership of it. ;)

13 blogs are fine... if anyone reads them. Also make sure your information is accurate. I notice none of these blogs are linked in your sigline, so...

Of course they can - especially if you phrase it like you have above. You've more than implied illegal activity, which is an actionable offense. (INAL)

And these threads have been active for years.

No business is obligated to release you from a legally binding contract, unless they break it, and even then you have to prove it. (Chances are, the contract wasn't broken, as most don't actually promise to do anything PA doesn't do.)

Sorry. Try again. Many have started blogs, campaigns, written to officials, tried lawyers, made websites, gone to facebook, Twitter, maybe even Myspace when it wasn't a ghost town. PA isn't doing anything illegal, so they can keep doing it so long as people sign the contracts. If anything stops the kind of presses that expect authors to buy their own books, it'll be Amazon's KDP arm.

Maybe I would be better off if I just forgot about PA and spent more time writing my book. I could use all those blogs to promote my book. What do you think ?

Ding...ding... ding. We have a winner.

Though, I'm not sure why you think you need so many blogs. One central location with all of your effort focused on it will likely serve you better. (Again, I point out the lack of link in your sigline...)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Write a new, different, better book. Sell it to a legitimate press. Repeat.

In seven years (or ten if you signed one of the new even worse contracts), you'll get your book back with no effort on your part.

Want to hurt PA? Don't send them a dime. And leave them in your dust. All of the principals at PA are failed writers. In my opinion that's what makes them want to hurt writers so badly--they're taking their revenge on people who might actually succeed where they failed.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
After reading your previous thread (now closed) and this thread, and reading the blurb about your book that was pubbed by PA, I have a suggestion.

Before you start writing that second book, polish your writing. Stick around AW and really read the threads about writing. Get to 50 posts and post a small portion of your work on the Share Your Work boards.

People will take you more seriously when your grammar and spelling are up to par, and they'll buy your next book if the writing is good (and of course, enticing).

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Let me make this clear, I am not asking anyone for help, I am telling you what I am doing to stop PA.
What you are doing is not going to take down PA. It's not even going to bruise them a little.

Writer Beware is the most famous and reputable site on the internet for information about bad agents, bad publishers, and scams aimed at authors. Here's their Thumbs-Down List of Publishers. PA has been on it since day one.

Here are the complaints about PA at Ripoff Report, which is a major consumer complaint site. Some of those complaints have been there for years.

Write your blogs if it makes you happy.

In the meantime, if you don't need help, why are you here? I'm not saying you're not welcome. I'm just curious.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have 13 blogs and I have people from all over the world come and read the truth about PA every day.

There were a lot more than thirteen blogs identifying PA as vanity press with a lousy contract, no practical ability to sell books, abusive practices, etc etc etc long before you sold your book to them. Just type "PublishAmerica" into Google and the truth about them comes out right on the first page of results--anything that isn't on PA's own website is unflattering.

Why didn't those blogs and web pages stop you?

What would have stopped you from selling your book to them?

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
Someone else found PA for me because I was not on the internet at that time. I didn't even know the law would let publishers scam people and not do anything about it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Ssh::roll:Sorry. But having 13 blogs isn't going to stop anyone else following in your footsteps, is it?

Someone else found PA for me because I was not on the internet at that time. I didn't even know the law would let publishers scam people and not do anything about it.

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
I am sure that my 13 blogs and publishing on twitter has not hurt PA any at all, does that make some of you feel any better ??

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
No, it makes some of us feel sad that you're wasting your time and your energy.

Miranda, on the other hand, is getting off on it.

this.

there is "fighting the good fight" and then there is "playing King Canute and ordering back the sea." What you are doing isn't stopping them, but it is stopping you. 13 blogs is a time sink, and yes, PA is a horrible place, but done is done--spend your time getting new books written, and sold with reputable publishers.

Stonecold2338

Registered
Reaction score
Miranda knows where she can stick Jake's Justice, because the book I am writing is a better book than Jake's Justice and it will not have all the mistakes in it like Jake's Justice. Oh, I didn't make all those mistakes !

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One blog? Go to town! Thirteen blogs? That seems a little OCD to me.

But yes, writing a new, different, better book and selling it to a legitimate publisher is the best way to have revenge on PA. Do something that Willie, Larry, and Miranda haven't been able to accomplish.