zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only on one panel thus far (*makes a sad face*) which'll be discussing the short fiction Hugo nominees on Friday night. Should be fun. Wish I was doing more.

Some of us are trying to put together a London Eye AW trip, over in the Con Suite thread in SFF.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Oooh, which ones?

I'll be on From Indie to AAA on Saturday and Lizard Wizards in Space! Bethesda vs Bioware on Sunday.

This will actually be my first time paneling, so I'm a little nervous. The fact that they're both about games took some of the pressure off though, since I can geek out on these subjects with very little prodding.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Excellent!

Or you can kip in my room if you like (I'm a tube stop away I think)
Thanks. Whatever will your old man say? :tongue

as long as you can promise no ninjas :p
I can't, but I can promise that any that show up won't get past me. :D

Seriously though, I don't want to impose - maybe in an emergency if the imbibing of a certain grain-based beverage causes the missing of trains?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I may well be lurking in the area as I have an author to meet, but I don't actually have a ticket. Would be nice to have a drink off-site or something?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Jimmy, I think it can be anything you want, although I'd probably recommend against "George RR Martin".

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, I'll be there, and would love to meet any fellow AWers at the con or in the area...)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
There's a field for 'Badge name'. Can that be anything, or does it need to be my real name? Could I be 'Jimmy' on my badge, even though it's not my 'real' name?

Yep, I'm pretty sure it can be anything. Mine is my pen name, while my membership is under my real name.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a few panels (eek! first time paneller so very nervous about looking like a moron) plus the writing workshop on Friday, so keep an eye out for me. I may or may not have turquoise hair by then...

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Couple of things: For those not in Britain, London buses no longer take cash. You'll need an Oyster card or other alternative means of payment.

For those new to panels:
http://www.sffantasyauthors-tips.com/

And here are some links aimed at moderators but they might have useful information for panelists.
http://www.smofbabe.net/moderatortips.html

http://judyclemens.com/images/Moderate Panel.pdf (PDF)

As an audience member what I want is a knowledgeable discussion that stays vaguely on topic, panelists I can hear, a diverse lot of people from the audience asked to participate during Q&A (I saw tweets yesterday from a panel where only men were being called on), questions from the audience to be repeated before being answered, and I want to hear from all the panelists, not just the most loquacious or least polite.

Last edited:

Ailsa

Registered
Reaction score
questions from the audience to be repeated before being answered,

Yes please! It's frustrating not knowing what is being answered, and if there isn't a roving microphone, it can be hard to hear what other audience members ask.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a couple of lists that discuss LonCon3. Heads up for those travelling by tube.

...from today until early November, there is no down escalator at Euston Tube station to the southbound Victoria and Northern (Bank branch) platforms. This is while we refurbish the escalator, as part of our Tube improvements.

During this time, you will only be able to use the spiral staircase to access these platforms. As we expect the station to be extremely busy, especially during peak hours, it may be quicker to use nearby Warren Street or King's Cross St. Pancras Tube stations.

Also, London buses no longer take cash. You'll need an Oyster card or other form of payment. Buses from the airports outside London still take cash, or so I'm told.

If you're in the US and going to LonCon3, be aware that some places will not be able to handle your swipe and sign credit card (the standard credit card in the US, with a magnetic stripe followed by a manual signature).

Europe is on Chip and PIN (not Chip and Signature, which is what the US is heading towards). You'll probably be OK at manned cash points, just tell them you have swipe and sign. But unmanned kiosks that, for example, top up Oyster cards or sell you train tickets, may not be able to handle swipe and sign cards. The Royal Opera House also does not accept them. ATMs should still accept them.

There may still be time for you to ask your bank or credit union if you can get a Chip and PIN (PIN, not Chip and signature) card. Alas, very few banks issue them in the US. You could try Andrews Federal Credit Union. I've heard Wells Fargo offers them.

Ailsa

Registered
Reaction score
Getting pretty close now!

Who's excited? :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Getting there around Thursday lunchtime.
In addition to the Writing Workshop which takes out Friday afternoon, I'm doing a panel on Saturday afternoon on 'Agent Hunting' (with Mr Flibble) and on Sunday afternoon on 'Tax for UK Writers' (again with Mr Flibble) which may be getting filmed by Channel 4. Probably heading home Sunday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.