Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it is another e-reader question, but seeing as how I suck at the search function...

I'm going to buy an e-reader. That much is decided. I've narrowed it between the Kindle 2 and the Sony touch 600 model.

What I want is to not only be able to read, but also to at least take down basic writings as they occur to me. Something I instantly found attractive about the sony was the "text memo" function, which allows you to write with an onscreen keyboard. I wouldn't write a novel this way, but a quick poem or a few lines? Yes and yes. That's sort of important to me and the stylus seemed cool, though ultimately not much use. I don't doodle.

However, Kindle 2's wireless internet, lower pricetag and superior library really have me in a bind. There is a keyboard built in--does it offer the same "text memo" type thing? (I'm not talking about in-text notes; I mean individual text files). I know you can upload your own text files--which is also cool.

But anyways, I'll let you guys help me decide.

Help!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife loves her kindle, and I've been tempted by it. She's not had a single complaint about it. However, I don't read enough anymore to make it worth the money to get my own, and I'm not sure about it being able to create new files. That is something it would HAVE to have before I got one.

ETA: Unless the keyboard came separately, I would be driven mad by Kindle's teeny tiny keyboard. I'd need a full size one (I'm all thumbs and can't even text on the phone very well)

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

ETA: I shouldn't have added the howler monkey option :p

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like howler monkey by a landslide.

I'm leaning to the sony just because I know folks who are happy with it.

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
I'd love to be able to afford one for the wife as well as myself. It would save so much space in the books we would have stored on it, instead of boxes that still need putting up the loft.

SanStormin

In the ozone
Registered
Reaction score
You could also consider the iPad. It reads everything Kindle does, (much easier to read IMHO) and plus you get to browse the net, check Facebook, etc. My husband uses his to show his photography portfolio.

I sent my Kindle back, cos it was too hard to read.

Reaction score
I have the Sony and am very happy with it. Never used a Kindle and would never knowingly give Amazon a penny of my £££.

Reaction score
Damn. I never thought of that. Suddenly my Sony doesn't seem like all that and a bag o' spanners.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the Barnes & Noble nook, but after I compared it to what I have and use, it just turned into an accessory to buy more accessories for it.

GregB

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with my Kindle 2. I don't have any experience with the Sony (or howler monkeys), but one of the best features of the Kindle is the amazingly convenient shopping and delivery process. Lose that and you lose a lot.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Howler monkey. I think the Kindle 2's good for days without a recharge; the Sony's good for two weeks, but the monkey will howl at you for peanuts.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I love my Kindle 2, but I'm hoping the Sony reader and the Nook sell well so Amazon is forced to play nicely. I use my Kindle mostly for quick, easy reads, like suspense novels. I like the fact that I can take it along to my oldest son's bball practice or my daughter's softball practice and just buy another book right there when I finish the current one. I also made it easier to read by increasing the font to 150 percent.

I still like to curl up with the real thing, though, at night or when I'm sitting out on the patio.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I have a Kindle1 and a Nook.

I decided to upgrade to a Nook instead of a Kindle2 because the Nook offered the same ease of purchase (using 3G OR wi-fi) with broader range of file types supported for side-loading (as opposed to paying to convert files for Kindle format). I also like the color touch-screen where I can see the cover even when I'm in the middle of the book --it seems silly but I like seeing the cover every time I open the file, more of a traditional reading experience. Each has its own pros and cons, for sure.

Any way you decide to go for physical device, I highly recommend Calibre as a file manager and conversion tool. I use it to keep track of what I've read, ratings, metadata and managing the loading of files onto the Nook (when I buy from sources other than B&N).

ETA: Rumor has it B&N will be coming out with a NookLite in a few months (same device with Wifi only, no 3G) for under $200. There's also the Kobo reader now for $149.

Last edited:

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard that Kindles don't read other formats and Sony's and the Nook do. I also know that amazon is in a mini-war with publishers and many books are not being released on amazon in eformat right now. Not sure when that whole mess will be solved, but it could affect availability or if you have to purchase in another format, then like san remo said, there's usually a charge to convert.

I have the very first generation Sony reader and love it. Nothing like carrying 100 books in your purse and not having to dust a one of them.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question--does the Kindle 2 allow you to take freehand notes (not in-text citing or "along the spine" notes), as the sony has a "text memo" fucntion?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I don't know about Nook having in-text memo thingy, but my aunt just got a Nook and I got to play with it for a bit. It was very comfortable and easy to use and read, once you got the hang of just how much pressure it takes to make the touch-screen work.

Personally I like that it also reads .pdf and I think some other types of files natively. That always bugged me about Kindle - only Amazon format; and if you want another kind of file you have to CONVERT it to Kindle format.

So if Nook's out, Sony seems much more like it and also reads mulitple formats, so I'd go with that.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going for the Sony PRS-900 Daily Reader. It's a bit more, but is bigger and has wifi, plus all the other great features such as touch screen and text memo that I like about the 600. For what it does it really is the best choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.