Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're betting on their cut of sales to cover conversion costs.

And to swing it back on topic, I do feel for PA authors who paid that kind of money for a conversion only to get an overpriced ebook in return - or no ebook at all so far.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
An author is confused about PA's business model.

Unable to get any response

I keep getting all kinds of offers in my in box regarding how to buy my own book titled <Title> and honestly I don't see a reason for me to be buying my own story unless I want to give a copy to a friend or a relative but when I request information about my book being bought by people who tell me they have bought it and info on any type of royalties regarding this sales, my emails get a total ignored response.

Okay, let me be honest, I am not so interested about selling hundreds or tons of books because I am not a salesman but it really bothers me when I request information on this matter, the support team does not even bother to send my emails back. What's going on?

For almost two weeks I have been trying to update my contact information and I have sent a few emails with my new address, etc but I don't get any replies whatsoever.

Does anyone know how to contact this people at all?

I am very confused.

Thanks

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I keep getting all kinds of offers in my in box regarding how to buy my own book titled <Title> and honestly I don't see a reason for me to be buying my own story unless I want to give a copy to a friend or a relative but when I request information about my book being bought by people who tell me they have bought it and info on any type of royalties regarding this sales, my emails get a total ignored response.

Okay, let me be honest, I am not so interested about selling hundreds or tons of books because I am not a salesman but it really bothers me when I request information on this matter, the support team does not even bother to send my emails back. What's going on?

For almost two weeks I have been trying to update my contact information and I have sent a few emails with my new address, etc but I don't get any replies whatsoever.

Does anyone know how to contact this people at all?

They answered their own question!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A penny drops:
LIke everyone else, I also sent in a list of bookstores, at the request of PA, that I would have liked to have had book signings scheduled. That was several months ago. I have heard nothing from PA. I have had four book signings since my book was released September 2010. All four I arranged myself by sending out inquiry e-mails to various bookstores and libraries. Do not rely only on PA's assistance. Make some contacts yourself and sell yourself and your book. You will be surprised how well received it will be. Best wishes to you and your book.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last month, when a PA author noted that he'd never been told his book had been released, the PA InfoMonster gave him a smack:
Not true, [Author]. You received the same email that went out to all your friends, announcing the book's release. Check your spam filters so that they allow all of our email to enter your inbox.

Today, the author replies:
infocenter, I received that e-mail of which you speak today, April 7...but when I made my previous post on Mar 18, I had not received any e-mail letting me know the book was published, even though it was available on the site since before March 18...

It must feel like arguing with the Mad Hatter.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
Your post indicated disappointment over our response regarding ebook pricing. You said you had wasted $70. You wished you had known about ebook pricing before you activated ebook conversion.
Feel free to post it again, and you will be given a response if called for.

Seriously, what is happening over there? When have they ever acknowledged a poster asking about a deleted post before, unless it was to tell them to look in "Bad Hair Day"? Let alone recapped the complaint in the deleted post?

Did they accidentally let a sane human being near the InfoMonster account?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Just saw these on PA's Facebook page :

I've been a very strong PA supporter since I signed with them in 2006, but the fact is that I'm not seeing them do anything to help me sell even one book. I'm kind of tired of supporting them when they seem to have no policy at all that actually helps the authors.

Almost every publisher I know automatically puts their books on Kindle and other ebook formats for free, just so they can make more money. PA is thinking that they will make more money from charging their authors to put their books on Kindle than they will from ebook sales. They may be right, but that isn't the point. They're supposed to be about letting the authors make money from their books, and not PA themselves.

No, they're not. In ten years of operation PA has always functioned like a vanity press, albeit one with a lot of smoke and mirrors. Other than the $1 advance, there is no money authors can count on.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw these on PA's Facebook page :

No, they're not. In ten years of operation PA has always functioned like a vanity press, albeit one with a lot of smoke and mirrors. Other than the $1 advance, there is no money authors can count on.

The most I ever received on a royalty check from PA was $47.00 and I think that is high for them.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
The most I ever received on a royalty check from PA was $47.00 and I think that is high for them.

May be currently, but I had one royalty check from them in 2005, for $81.00, and I heard of some much higher, and my sales were all on discounted sales. All my sales with PA were discounted 40% except two at 15%. Many new PA authors, during my time with PA, did not know their royalties were based on the discounted price rather than full price.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
Other than the $1 advance, there is no money authors can count on.

Never received even the damn dollar.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
More on ebook pricing

I saw that Amazon has finally put my book in ebook form for their Kindle. Only problem is they have it for the price the book as a softback cover was released at.
Now it's Amazon's fault rather than PA's?

It's a pity these authors don't check out the prices for Kindle e-books.

Why they think people will pay that much for a book, much less a ebook, is beyond me.
...The price of the print version is set by PA, not Amazon. And in most cases, the author pays it.

I guess, I can't when for loosing. I know I read that just because it goes to ebook, doesn't mean the price will be lower, but if the reason the softback cover price is high do to the cost of printing which takes paper and ink,
If this is truly the case, why aren't all paperback books priced as high as PA books? Surely the other books are printed as well, which requires paper and ink?

what could the reason be that an ebook would be just as high?
I may be new to all this, but somehow shouldn't something that doesn't take paper and ink be at least a little less?
And Infocenter replied with the usual spiel - because ebooks are more convenient, they should cost more. :rolleyes:

Edited to add : Gone.

Last edited:

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
And Infocenter replied with the usual spiel - because ebooks are more convenient, they should cost more.

I'm glad PA finally decided to do e-books! I'm sick of all those other publishers sending out e-books that are so inconvenient that they have to cost much less than a print version!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Or, you know, they could put up your book with another author's name:

My book <book> by <Author>(me) is listed on Amazon's estore as <book> by <Other Author>. I paid to have my book put on ebooks in January. I have been searching for it on amazon since then but never thought it would be listed as another author.

I would like for this to be corrected and to know what happened. the book is <book name, author, ISBN>

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're blaming it on 'human error'. Presumably they're not referring to Miranda ;-)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Next time you have an urgent issue, contact us directly at [email protected]. May save precious time.

Dear Moron Miranda,

I'm sure the poor writer DID attempt to contact "Support," such as it is with you, and was ignored the same as 100s of others with a PA problem. Great going with the professional attitude. I'm sure she's filled with confidence, knowing her literary career is in YOUR hands.

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
A new PA forum has opened, at publishamericaauthors.webs.com

There seems to be an abundance of Kool-Aid over there, as the following comments indicate.

One author, noting that she has been bombarded with email offers, says:

I believe PA is trying to promote the authors by giving us an opportunity to get out books noticed by the powers that be.

Strangely enough, I believe that they're not interested in getting your books noticed by anybody except your family and friends — the only people likely to pay the best part of $30 for a slim paperback.

Still, she'll also be able to offer a $30 ebook now:

I just recently paid to have my book converted to E-book version.

The next post is a little more poignant:

I haven't taken part in to many of these promotions. In fact, none. I did just pay to have the latest book on the Nook. We'll se what happens with it. Now if only we had the money for me to take part in some of the others I would have. But our finances determine what I can take part in.