An old-yet-new person

Status
Not open for further replies.

St.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Salom and I'm posting for the first time (I think), even though I've had this account for something like 3 years!

Anyway. So, my name's Salom, I live in the Pacific NW, I'm 21 and I write YA. I'm unpublished, though I won a few small contests in high school and wrote for my school paper in college. I would say I mostly write speculative fiction and fantasy, but I've been thinking about writing a contemporary novel too. It's a big change for me-- I used to hate contemporary when I was in high school. I'm hoping to get more active on AW, because I've found I really need a group of people to get me in line and keep me writing :p I'm taking writing seriously enough to actually DO IT, rather than think about doing it and write here and there. I didn't think of writing as something I could truly succeed at for...well, a long time. Now that I'm a little older I want to just get in gear and stop being afraid of it. So here I am!

I don't really have favorite authors, since I like so many for so many different things-- F. Scott Fitzgerald, Margo Lanagan, Martin McDonagh... If you forced me to answer I'd say Douglas Adams, since he was the first author I thought of as being My Favorite Author when I was in middle school. The last novel I read that really had an impact on me was Lolita-- I thought it was an incredible book, but I can't really say I *liked* it.

I guess the other thing to mention is that I don't identify with characters in novels. I don't know if that's weird for someone who wants to write...maybe, maybe not. It's more that I'll prefer interesting characters to likeable ones, which means I always seem to end up rooting for villains.

Alright, I guess that's it!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the brand new Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the cooler

Yeah, why are the bad guys always the more memorable characters? About the identifying issue, is it just other people's characters, or your own as well? Perhaps you have such a firm footing in reality, that letting yourself care about imaginary people is hard for you. I, for one, often find that I care too much about my characters, and I don't want to take them to the horrible places they must go. I do it anyway, but it does hurt. Consider yourself lucky. Anyway, I wish you the best, and I hope you find AW as useful as I do.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Salom...looking forward to seeing your ideal character, sounds interesting.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem Victoria. It's difficult to create conflict for my characters sometimes, because I want to solve their problems for them. Of course, this doesn't make very interesting reading so I have to get in touch with my sadistic side.

Welcome Salom! Hope enjoy being part of the conversation!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the cooler, Salom. I think the reason I identify with a character is not whether they are good or bad, but whether they are complex and well written, or one-dimensional. Good luck with your writing! :)

Eggle

Write or Wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Salom
welcome to the forum and good luck with your writing!
~ uma

Status
Not open for further replies.