What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
I've read Veronica Rossi, UNDER THE NEVER SKY and THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT. World-building was a bit flawed, and the love story traditional (hate at first sight between him and her, and then...you know...) - but the books sort of grew on me and I will read the third one whenever that is published.

I recently read these two books and I really enjoyed them as well. I wasnt expecting to like them as much as I did and now I am anxiously waiting for the third ... darn trilogies! lol

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I loved B0rn W1cked.

I am currently reading FOR THE DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS (YA sci fi retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion). I'm really liking it even if Elliot(the mc based on Anne Elliot) sometimes acts older than 16, which she's supposed to be in the book... Hmm. Also, gorgeous gorgeous cover. :D

Also picked up IF YOU FIND ME (YA contemp). I'm only 110 pages in but sobbing already. Beautiful beautiful book.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Just read the opening chapters of The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, which appears to be a hot contender for The Next Big Thing. (Preview available for download here.)

There's a lot of backstory to incorporate in the beginning, but I like the voice and I'm definitely intrigued enough to pick it up when it comes out in early May.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I loved B0rn W1cked.

I am currently reading FOR THE DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS (YA sci fi retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion). I'm really liking it even if Elliot(the mc based on Anne Elliot) sometimes acts older than 16, which she's supposed to be in the book... Hmm. Also, gorgeous gorgeous cover. :D

Also picked up IF YOU FIND ME (YA contemp). I'm only 110 pages in but sobbing already. Beautiful beautiful book.

I'm getting it today! So excited to read this!

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill. It was really cute! Very enjoyable, and I identified with the MC quite a bit. The twist surprised me, too -- but then again, I'm notoriously bad at predicting twists :p

Maybe I should give this one another chance, especially if it had a surprise twist. I only read a couple chapters, but it read like a Disney Channel original movie or something with stock characters and a distinct lack of realism. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but it's not for me. I'm assuming as it progresses, the MC became a more layered character?

Reading Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff. Loving it so far. Her writing is deceptively simple.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I should give this one another chance, especially if it had a surprise twist. I only read a couple chapters, but it read like a Disney Channel original movie or something with stock characters and a distinct lack of realism. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but it's not for me. I'm assuming as it progresses, the MC became a more layered character?

Yeah, she does become more nuanced. You learn more about her dad and she learns more about the flaws in her whole "MTB" theory. I really liked her as the story went along.

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. It has me chuckling outloud at parts.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she does become more nuanced. You learn more about her dad and she learns more about the flaws in her whole "MTB" theory. I really liked her as the story went along.

Can I ask, Becca: is the twist that Jason is sending the texts? (In white just in case it's correct).

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask, Becca: is the twist that [spoiler retracted] (In white just in case it's correct).

Actually... no! Spoiler in white in case you don't want to read: The texts are being sent by a girl mentioned in the first couple chapters at a party they go to their first night in London... her name is Chris, so Julia thinks she's a boy, and Chris thinks Julia's phone number is Jason's :p It actually really surprised me!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I loved that twist in MTB :D

I just finished FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS. Love!! And read today, AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR. Wow, greater than expected ;)

Next up is MANSFIELD PARK, FREEFALL by M1ndi Sc0tt and the 5th Thursday Next book :) :)

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I loved that twist in MTB :D

I just finished FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS. Love!! And read today, AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR. Wow, greater than expected ;)

Wow, you love every book! :)

Finished Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff. I'm impressed by her prose, enough that I want to read her other two books. It's so clean and readable and then every other page she hits you with a sentence that makes you stop and reread it. I had some issues with the ending, but the very last scene was perfect. I loved the complicated friendship between the MC and the ghost of her best friend. Overall, a really great thriller-mystery-paranormal-contemporary mashup.

Now I'm reading Rainbow Boys because it's classic LGBT YA that I skipped over. A little outdated (okay, in some parts more than a little) but still important. And baby Matt Bomer is on the cover!

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Rainbow Boys is super cute. The writing is kind of clunky, but the characters are adorable.

I'm with you on this. Despite its flaws, I did grow to love the three main characters. One of them was eerily similar to me in high school, we even share the same first name. Are the sequels worth reading?

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. I'm up to City of Fallen Angels, and I really liked this series a whole lot more than I thought I would. I'm planning on reading Divergent and the prequel series to Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Demon King (YA Fantasy) by Cinda Williams Chima. It was a pretty good book, though I wasn't sure about it for the first half. In the end, I enjoyed it, and I will read more.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Got a lot of reading done during Easter. First Siobhan Dowd's Bog Child, which was really good for the most part (if you know anything about the Northern Irish Troubles, you'll figure out most of the plot twists before they occur or are revealed, but never mind). Liked Rae Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns plus the sequel. Then started Michelle Hodkin's The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which I thought was good. Completed the sequel earlier this morning and was not so impressed. Think perhaps it suffers from the middle book syndrome?

Last edited:

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
Just read the opening chapters of The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, which appears to be a hot contender for The Next Big Thing. (Preview available for download here.)

There's a lot of backstory to incorporate in the beginning, but I like the voice and I'm definitely intrigued enough to pick it up when it comes out in early May.

Thanks for sharing - I read the freebie and liked it enough that I'll be picking it up myself when it's out.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Nearly finished Flip by Martyn Bedford (about a boy who wakes up in someone else's body), and then I have three more books from the library to read. Not sure which one I'll pick next. I have Slide by Jill Hathaway ('I see through the eyes of a killer'), My sister lives on the mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher, and Mist by Kathryn James (about a girl whose sister disappeared into the mist) to choose from. I shall probably do a random shuffle 'n' pick with my eyes closed, lol.

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
Reading, CLOCKWORK PRINCESS and loving it so far!! :)

Then started Michelle Hodkin's The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which I thought was good. Completed the sequel earlier this morning and was not so impressed. Think perhaps it suffers from the middle book syndrome?
I loved the MARA DYER books - but I have read a lot of not-so-positive reviews, so I am thinking I must be in the minority :Shrug:The finale to the trilogy is one of my most anticipated books right now!

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the MARA DYER books - but I have read a lot of not-so-positive reviews, so I am thinking I must be in the minority :Shrug:The finale to the trilogy is one of my most anticipated books right now!

I'm not so unimpressed I'm not going to read the third one - but I do think the second one walked in circles. Third one is definitely on my to-read list.
You-know-who better be alive!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly finished Flip by Martyn Bedford (about a boy who wakes up in someone else's body), and then I have three more books from the library to read. Not sure which one I'll pick next. I have Slide by Jill Hathaway ('I see through the eyes of a killer'), My sister lives on the mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher, and Mist by Kathryn James (about a girl whose sister disappeared into the mist) to choose from. I shall probably do a random shuffle 'n' pick with my eyes closed, lol.

Ooh, Netz, you've chosen well! I've not read MIST, but SLIDE and FLIP are great.
FLIP is one of my favourite UKYA contemps of the past 5 years - it's such a clever idea, so well executed, and the characterisation is brilliant. The original Flip I felt so sorry for, almost more than Alex, especially at the end. And without spoiling it for you - that ending!!!

SLIDE is also really good - Vee is a great narrator, and the whole slide idea is another clever idea.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished BURN FOR BURN by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian - it's only just come out in the UK! Such a good book.

I loved the main characters, and how Han and Vivian made them all sound different. I've never read any of Siobhan Vivian's books, and I gave up a chapter into Jenny Han's treacley-sweet Summer I Turned Pretty, but I really want to find some more books by them now.

Also, the book's climax at the homecoming dance was sad and so well done.

Finally, I liked its summery feel, which helped with the disgusting weather we've been having recently.

Next up is WENTWORTH HALL by Abby Grahame - Downton Abbey, YA-style. The cover is gorgeous, and I've heard scathing reviews of this one, so I look forward to it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.