The Best Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What makes a best film script? Is it how well it is written or how good the story line and characters are.

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
Too broad of a spectrum; you can't just narrow it down to one formula. It's like saying what makes a beautiful day or a great person. All of the elements just have to be in line. And even then it is still debatable.

The best approach is to study, work, and practice as hard as you can as a writer. Put your best work out there, take on a story that you're passionate and knowlegable about and give it your best go.

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
Dedicate yourself to your story/film. Live through it, and let it live through you.

That's what makes great stories/movies.

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
The best scripts are the ones that absorb you so much in the story and the characters that you forget that you're reading a script.

The best scripts are the ones that hit you on an emotional level - whether they make you laugh, scare the the bejeezus out of you or touch in some way.

The best scripts are ones that create a world that is visual and feels real - even when that world is a fantasy.

The best scripts are the ones that you can see as a movie while you're reading them.

The best scripts are ones written by those who have a combination of talent, craft and a strong understanding of the nature of drama.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What about the premise and theme of the script?

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score

Everything has been done to death, so what will make story A better than story B (they both deal with same theme) is the writer's/director's take on it. You play a BIG role in the success of your story obviously.

So basically, the premise and theme are not what make a script good, in my opinion. It's how it's done.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
So I assume it depends how good the script is. You just got to keep writing it.

Monaco

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with DevelopmentExec and would only add marketability to his list. In short, I think that the best script is the one you remember. I've been reading lots of scripts and can only remember just a few. Same as movies that are already produced - I remember very few, others just come and go.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
How do you know if your script is good after you edit it? You feel it seems good to you?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
How do you know if your script is good after you edit it? You feel it seems good to you?
Yes, exactly.

Of course, you're mentally comparing your script to the 1000s of films you've watched and the 100s of scripts you've downloaded and read in the neverending quest to understand what makes a great script great.

-Derek

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
It must work on so many levels as DevExec points out.
I will add one more to the list...

The best script is one that you read and say to yourself "Damn! I wish I wrote that!"

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

Somebody once said that there are only two stories: A stranger comes to town (ala Shane) , or someone takes a journey (ala Trip to Bountiful or Pleasantville).

Your insight, and how you make the journey work, is what makes the story yours.

The more we practice (and fail/succeed/fail/succeed....) the better we get at taking someone else along for the ride.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'll keep writing it then and see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.