• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Martell Agency (Alice Martell)

frequently alert

Love the site. Does anyone have any experience with Alice Martell? She seems to have a good track record with mysteries.

frequently alert

Been working on this novel since my hair was still brown. Comic mystery, I guess. Hitting the market with it, getting nervous as hell. Logging in to check whether I have an email response about 42 times a day... You know, being a rookie. Thanks for the welcome. This is a great site.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Dr. Wascher. One agent per thread, please. Use the Index at the top of the forum to find the other agents you are inquiring about. Thank you.

Last edited:

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Last edited:

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
So here's the text of the rejection I got: "Dear [full name], Thank you so much for sending me the material for [title]. The work is nicely done but I don't have the passion that you need in an agent for their work to be done well. Fortunately, this is a subjective business and I expect that you'll find an agent who has no reservations."

Ordinarily I don't try to read tea leaves with these things, but was curious about that business of "the work is nicely done." Does anyone know if this is the standard language of all her form rejections? (I mean, what does she say to people who send in crap?) I'm just trying to figure out if maybe this means she (or someone) actually glanced at the text and not just the query -- but if it's all just the usual boilerplate, then it's just all ignorable...

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
"So here's the text of the rejection I got: "Dear [full name], Thank you so much for sending me the material for [title]. The work is nicely done but I don't have the passion that you need in an agent for their work to be done well. Fortunately, this is a subjective business and I expect that you'll find an agent who has no reservations."

I'd bet my house it's a form letter. A nice one. But a form letter. If I were you, I'd save my obsessing for cryptic comments sent with rejections of a partial or full.

Stretch

Registered
Reaction score
The Martell Agency

Terry: How long did it take between query and request for the 50 pages? Have you heard back on your submission?

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
"So here's the text of the rejection I got: "Dear [full name], Thank you so much for sending me the material for [title]. The work is nicely done but I don't have the passion that you need in an agent for their work to be done well. Fortunately, this is a subjective business and I expect that you'll find an agent who has no reservations."

Sigh, I got exactly the same letter, word by word. For a moment my ego talked me into thinking that maybe she meant it, but then the practical me slapped me in the face and told to come check it over here....

My ego still whines in the back of my head and says that she might have two form rejections and she saves the nice ones for the works that truly are well done... :D

Joan J.

Registered
Reaction score
The Martell Agency

Been working on this novel since my hair was still brown. Comic mystery, I guess. Hitting the market with it, getting nervous as hell. Logging in to check whether I have an email response about 42 times a day... You know, being a rookie. Thanks for the welcome. This is a great site.

I'm also plugging what I call a "broad-humored campy cozy mystery." I would love to share experiences, pages, expertise, tips, but I'm not sure if AWWC lets people exchange email addresses, or how to contact each other any way that doesn't put our email addresses out there for the world to send spam to---for where the world can send spam? "Where y'all from, Witch?" Joan

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also plugging what I call a "broad-humored campy cozy mystery." I would love to share experiences, pages, expertise, tips, but I'm not sure if AWWC lets people exchange email addresses, or how to contact each other any way that doesn't put our email addresses out there for the world to send spam to---for where the world can send spam? "Where y'all from, Witch?" Joan

You can Private Message each other and exchange emails that way. Click on the person's name, and select Private Message.

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
Bump...

FWIW, I sent a query on 17 Oct, and got a full request the next day. Fingers crossed!
--Dev

UPDATE: 25 October: R. "Very well done, but I didn't fall in love with it..."

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just emailed Alice and asked her if she takes YA and she responded quickly saying she'd be happy to see the first 50 pages.

Just letting YA writers know if you're interested. P&E has a dollar $ sign too.

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
Just queried and got a rejection in four minutes. With all the agents who never bother to respond at all, that's the next best thing to a request for material.

CallMeIshmael

Registered
Reaction score
After querying AM, I just received a request for 50 pages and a comprehensive outline.

Uhh. Showing how green I am, but what is a comprehensive outline? My novel is YA. Like, a synopsis?

Thanks!

Last edited: