I wonder if it's one of those publishers who say "Due to current economic conditions . . ."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We need a "Why I can't get published" bingo card. At least half the squares will be filled in with names like Billy Crystal, Tyra Banks, and Snookie.
I'm just waiting on a "Katie Price uses a ghost writer!" for a full house.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
"Current economic conditions" are those in which celebrity books are big gets and guaranteed mega-sales, while first-time authors are not.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I'm confused. What does the title of this thread have to do with Billy Crystal getting a book deal and large publishers not accepting submissions from unrepresented authors?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
"Current economic conditions" are those in which celebrity books are big gets and guaranteed mega-sales, while first-time authors are not.

That's not "current." That's "since forever." You think Erroll Flynn didn't get a good chunk of cash for MY WICKED, WICKED WAYS?

(Heh, I originally typo'd MY WICKED, WICKER WAYS, and am now picturing Erroll spending his free time making wicker furniture with a lascivious smile on his face.)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's not "current." That's "since forever."
Ha! I stand corrected.

(It'd be nice if publishers would use that language, too. "Due to current economic conditions since forever and the industry-wide decline in overall book sales since Gutenberg, we will no longer keep the policy we have followed since Day One and not accept unsolicited non-agented queries and submissions of any kind from previously unpublished authors.")

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Ha! I stand corrected.

(It'd be nice if publishers would use that language, too. "Due to current economic conditions since forever and the industry-wide decline in overall book sales since Gutenberg, we will no longer keep the policy we have followed since Day One and not accept unsolicited non-agented queries and submissions of any kind from previously unpublished authors.")

Well, erm, no, that's not what Stacia meant. She was talking about it being 'since forever' that celebrities get big advances. That's what's not a 'current economic conditions' issue.

As others have said, the title of this thread has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the original post's actual content.

The reason that so many publishers have stopped accepting unagented submissions is because, due to the ease with which manuscripts can be put together on computers (vs typewriters, which was one hell of a lot more work), they started drowning in unpublishable crap.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with allocating more money to celebrity books than they did previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.