• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blu Phi'er Publishing (Michael L. Bernoudy, Jr.)

Nelson Ford

Registered
Reaction score
I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr. Bernoudy isn't much of a reader. If he were, he'd understand that even a great book won't sell if it's almost impossible to buy. Granted, it's tough to get small press publications onto the shelves in bricks and mortar stores, but he's not even doing a good job of making it easy to order his offerings online.

It's obvious from all his typos in official correspondence with his authors, and from his website, that he's not a writer. Fair enough. But, if he doesn't understand the basics about what a publisher's responsibilities are, he really should find another avocation. It seems to me that he started Blu Phi'er on a lark, without having done any research into what's involved. Now his harebrained scheme isn't working the way he wanted, and he's angry at his authors for not doing his job for him.

The good news, if any, is that several authors who thought they had contracts with Blu Phi'er, have been told that they do not, in fact, have contracts.

Nelson Ford

Registered
Reaction score
The intelligence I have comes from several of their authors, or potential authors, who read my blog, and have forwarded to me email correspondence that they received from Mr. Bernoudy. At least three of them regularly leave comments on my blog. One of those who was told he did not, in fact have a contract is Lincoln Crisler, who commented earlier in this thread.

Today, I received another forwarded email from one of the authors who does have a contract. She's been trying to get back rights to her story for some time now, to no avail. The forwarded email was a mass mailing from Mr. Bernoudy detailing, title by title sales figures, and which books had to sell how many copies for him to recoup what appears to be awfully inflated publishing costs, considering that he uses LSI.

Not until those books reach those sales figures, and he recoups his alleged "costs," will the authors see any royalties. The guy's using fuzzy math, from what I can tell. Further, it appears that all but three or four authors will not be receiving royalties. Roughly 3/4 of the titles listed in the mailing show sales goals, with no royalties owed.

Sending out a mass mailing with everyone's sales figures, goals, and royalties owed (if any), to all the authors, strikes me as highly unprofessional. It really should have been handled on an individual basis with each author.

There's an entry and commentary about Bernoudy's latest mass mailing here.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Not until those books reach those sales figures, and he recoups his alleged "costs," will the authors see any royalties.

This shouldn't be a surprise, as Bernoudy's original contract gave him the power to do this. See my post on that contract.

- Victoria

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
EEK! They requested a full manuscript but never got back to me. I feel like the gal who gets rejected by the guy of her choice, only to discover at a later date that he's actually a serial killer. WHEW!

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
The forwarded email was a mass mailing from Mr. Bernoudy detailing, title by title sales figures, and which books had to sell how many copies for him to recoup what appears to be awfully inflated publishing costs, considering that he uses LSI.

(Bolding mine)

Wouldn't the authors be able to doublecheck some of those numbers for themselves? At least such as printing costs, distribution, how many review copies sent to where etc.
A lot of extra work for the authors they shouldn't have to do, I know, but it really sounds like Mr. Bernoudy needs keeping a close eye on.

The mass mailing is unprofessional. I know I'd be screaming bloody murder.
It's strange though. Even if Mr. Bernoudy knows nothing of publishing (as has become obvious) mass mailing private and detailed information isn't common practise in any business that I know of.
He's a lawyer, isn't he? One wonders if he does the same to his clients. And if not, then why treat his authors so?

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Great blog, Victoria. For now, Blu Phier has closed its submissions, stating that they won't open again until July, 2009 (that's moved up from Oct. 2008), so they shouldn't pose a threat to anyone for a while. This website is a godsend for all new and old writers, agents and publishers and should be referred to often.

DP

Nelson Ford

Registered
Reaction score
I have a quick update on Blu Phi'er. Yesterday, one of the BP authors forwarded to me another mass mailing from the publisher; attached was the entire Blu Phi'er sales report .pdf file from Lightning Source for the month of September. Every recipient of the email could read not only his or her sales figures, printing costs, etc., but also those of every other author on the report.

For anyone interested, I've posted a blog entry about it, without including the actual sales report, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Every time you think he couldn't possibly get more unprofessional, something like this floats to the surface.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
How so?

Can you link to this info? I must've missed something.
For the record: http://bluphier.com/page19.html

Why are so many projects being dropped?

Answer: Our former Marketing Director had great intentions and proposed a number of projects. Without the authority of upper management contracts were sent to numerous individuals. None of these contracts were official whereas they did not bear my signature. Nevertheless there were a number of people out there who mistakenly believed they had contracts with us. Many of them are angry and we've done our best to try to appease them. However, we won't put books into print if it is not in the best interest of the company, no matter how many negative threads are started online.

CloudyDay

Out of here
Registered
Reaction score
BTW-I had a contract with them years ago. A lady named Shirley Anne signed me. The owner, thankfully, gave me back my work. At the time he mentioned financial problems. I believe they take all costs from publishing the book before paying any royalties. I've heard that the royalty statements are suspicious.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Ha! And now Enck is here.

Snuff Books.

I had to laugh at this, from his bio on the publisher's website, because it is so apropos, though no doubt unintentionally so (apologies to anyone who is offended by explicit language):

[FONT=&quot]Eric is about as trustworthy as two cannibals giving each other blowjobs...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
And I agree with Jim about Midwest Book Review. How impressive can a venue be that publishes Harriet Klausner reviews?

- Victoria
[/FONT]

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
I can't complain too much about the Blu Phier contract (as crappy as it was). I knew Bernoudy intended to recoup his publishing expenses when I signed the contract. I was told by Bernoudy the expenses would amount to the sale of 24 books.

Then, as most of us know, Blu Phier acquired a new marketing director who convinced Bernoudy to make drastic changes to the contract. I was told by this marketing director that the recouping clause had been removed from the original contract, and all the authors would recieve a copy of this new contract. I requested (on several occasions) a copy of the new contract from the marketing director, Bernoudy himself, and another person in charge at Blu Phier. I never recieved it. When everything was said and done, very few authors recieved a copy of the new contract. It came as no surprise to me, one of those few who signed a copy of the new contract was the marketing director himself.

Bernoudy was also convinced (by who I'm not sure) to offer bookstores a standard discount, along with a full refund on books not sold. Of course, this made it possible for authors to get thier books in stores.

Which I did. Through no help from the publisher. I called and scheduled several book signings, got my own reviews, and set up my own radio interviews. In the end I sold way more than the required 24 books to pay Bernoudy back his publishing expenses.

I've never seen a dime in royalties. What I did see on a few occassions, was the UPS man pulling up in my driveway with a box of my books, which had been returned from bookstores for the full refund Bernoudy offered them. Inside, was a nice letter from Bernoudy telling me the cost of these books would be deducted from my royalties.

It wasn't in my contract that I would be responsible for the cost of these returned books. It was an offer from the publisher, not me.

Through this whole nightmare, what I regret the most, was the effect this had on some very talented authors published through Blu Phier. It caused some of them to quit doing what they loved the most: writing. That's the real tragedy here.

Of course, it's easy to say this whole thing could have been avoided if none of us had signed that contract. True enough. Having the knowledge and experience I have now, I would have avoided that contract like the plague. In fact, I wouldn't have given Blu Phier a second glance. But if I hadn't signed that contract and went through the hell I did, I may not see things the way I do now. It was a lesson. A hard one, but a lesson nonetheless. People make mistakes. It's human. It's how we learn to avoid things in the future. Some mistakes are made privately, and people have the opportunity to recover without public humiliation. In this case it wasn't so, and I'm sorry most of all for the authors who had to endure that. I believe it was the only downside to making people aware of what was going on with Blu Phier.