Hello from Melbourne

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Denise and I joined this forum after coming across a thread about the blair partnership. After years with an idea spinning and developing in my head, last year I finally got serious about it and wrote my first modern fantasy novel, called 'When the River froze.'

I've polished it as much as I could and am now embarking in the long process of trying to find and agent, and I look forward to learning from the people in this forum.

It also feels wonderful to be part of a community of writers.

When I am not writing, I am reading or dreaming of travel.

Thanks for having me

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Feel free to stop by Jed's Newbie Pub at the top of the New Members forum. It's a friendly place where you can hang out, have a virtual drink, and strike up a conversation with other members. If you are new to forums in general, or maybe a bit shy about posting, this is a good place to start.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary to help you along. And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm intrigued by your title.

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Denise :welcome: Glad you're here! Join us in the pub at the top of this forum- it's pretty easy to get to know people here. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Blair partnership eh? They specialize in all things JK. Which age group do you write for?

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Blair partnership eh? They specialize in all things JK. Which age group do you write for?

Hi Shaba,

I do Modern Adult Fantasy (no fairies, elves or orcs).

For some reason The Blair Partnership is my favourite so far. I like their approach to branding

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason The Blair Partnership is my favourite so far. I like their approach to branding

No problem with that. It is one of the most intricate marketing agencies I've come across, and it would be anyone's midsummer night's dream to have their representation, but they are Rowling-centric, meaning they will defer most of their resources and attention in her direction any time they see fit (usually when she is about to release a book), which is completely understandable. Rowling is Rowling.

Last edited:

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
No problem with that. It is one of the most intricate marketing agencies I've come across, and it would be anyone's midsummer night's dream to have their representation, but they are Rowling-centric, meaning they will defer most of their resources and attention in her direction any time they see fit (usually when she is about to release a book), which is completely understandable. Rowling is Rowling.

Yep definitely. In fact, I amazed simply by the fact that they still take up new clients :) Any similar agencies you know of?

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Most big agencies (some small and mid-level agencies as well) have their own marketing teams that work with the publisher's marketing team. I can name you the biggest agencies out there, usually they are the ones that have several Hollywood clients, work very closely with Hollywood, or have a few rock-star authors. They usually have that disclaimer that states you can't sue them for any work that comes out in the future that is similar to yours if they didn't sign you.

Last edited:

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
oh wow! That's....mmmm...is that even legal?

Yes, they make you check off a box or some other means of online verification before you can even submit to them, explicitly detailing this (it is to protect themselves from frivolous copyright lawsuits), but not all big agencies do this--Writer's House, Levine Greenberg Lit, and Sanford J. Greenburger to name a few.

Last edited:

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they make you check off a box or some other means of online verification before you can even submit to them, but not all big agencies do this--Writer's House, Levine Greenberg Lit, and Sanford J. Greenburger to name a few.

Just found a thread on Absolute Write about it so reading up on that. Thanks!