NZ legislates for gay marriage

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm in love with New Zealand. I'm definitely in love with Maurice Williamson. Watch his speech here :)

ETA: Sian I think you linked to it, but the link didn't work for me.

Last edited:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this come through my AP app. The pictures of all the couples celebrating were so great. Everyone looked so happy. :)

*sigh* So hope i get to see pictures like that from my own state someday.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This video is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pOJ8Bc_-g Immediately after the results of the vote are read, observers in the gallery break into a traditional Maori love song, and all the MPs stand up and sing along. I cannot even remotely imagine US lawmakers doing something like this. There's a great description below the video.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
This will happen in Australia eventually mark my words. I was saying to my husband the other day a hundred years ago people would have been saying 'When will women be given the vote?' and probably thought it would never happen but it did.

It will happen probably in the next ten to twenty years maybe. Problem is we have two stupidly stubborn political parties at the moment who don't want to listen to what the Aussie people want. But they won't be around forever.

Just gotta be patient.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
Its about time and Australia should swiftly follow suit along with a lot of other Commonwealth countries. Most are so homophobic that they refuse to agree to equality laws. I may be hetero but everyone should have a right to be happy, love and marry where they choose.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
The thing that make me so happy about this is that it's so close. Travelling to Canada is a wee bit difficult, NZ is a three hour flight away, and afforable.

I fully expect to be invited to some NZ weddings over the next five years or so.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I think I'm in love with New Zealand. I'm definitely in love with Maurice Williamson. Watch his speech here :)

ETA: Sian I think you linked to it, but the link didn't work for me.

Yep that was it, fixed the link, sorry :)

Best quote ever from that speech: "I had a catholic priest tell me I was supporting an unnatural act. I found that quite ironic coming from a man who had committed to a lifetime of celibacy."

Or maybe the comment about how apparently gay people were responsible for the drought, but it was pouring in his electrolate atm, with a massive "gay rainbow" spread through the sky, so obviously that was a sign that the house was doing the right thing.

It's just speeches like these ones that make me actually think politics is worthwhile.