Looking for a French speaker...

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I hope this is the right place to paste this. I don't need a native French speaker, just someone reasonably fluent, as part of my novel's dialogue takes place in an upper-level high school French class and I need a translation.

I can paste the dialogue in here if there are any takers. :) The help would be much appreciated -- I know very little French, don't ask me where the need for French dialogue came from.

Bulletproof

live every week like it' shark week
Registered
Reaction score
If it's high school french, an imperfect translation is more authentic ;)

Send me a PM (saying if you want it slightly flawed and for which speakers) and I'll do it.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PM me the text, and tell me how perfect or imperfect you want the French to be. :)

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
WHy don't you post it. I have been told that my accent is excellent, but i don't remember all of the words.

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a French teacher and I'd be happy to imitate some of my students for you :) Here or by PM is fine.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I guess AlwaysJuly's received useful helps via PM. But if people don't mind, I'd appreciate an English to French dialogue translation (those in blue) as well. Thanks.

Teen Guy offers teen girl a favor.
Girl: “Do I have to sleep with you?
Guy: “Do you have to ask?

It's a friendly flirt, not serious. They are very close friends, both in New York. Guy learns French from school, girl from her native French father & from school.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are dozens of ways they might say these things, some more slangy than others. But here are a couple of fairly straightforward translations:

Girl: "Si j'accepte, tu vas sans doute attendre que je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

Boy: "Tu trouves cette question vraiment nécessaire?"

or he might just say: "Évidemment, ma chérie." (Especially if his French isn't very advanced.)

If you don't find these satisfactory, ask me again. :D

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Girl: "Si j'accepte, tu vas sans doute attendre que je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

Boy: "Tu trouves cette question vraiment nécessaire?"

or he might just say: "Évidemment, ma chérie." (Especially if his French isn't very advanced.)

Thanks!!!

The girl part seems lengthy. Will this work?: "je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

I like the guy's response, the longer one. It's a little more clumsy but the guy's actually gay. And the meaning of your suggestion can swing either way and I like it.