Most Ancient Roman Hairstyle

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Very interesting! Hell of a lot of work though. And I bet undoing it could be a proper mare. Especially the knots at the front.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the first roman arrived bald to the world.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I believe the first roman arrived bald to the world.
The first Roman was raised by wolves, so he probably never really got into that whole "hair-style" thing. I mean, wolves are sorta stylish by default, but you never see one in a salon asking for the poodle cut, ya know?

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Beyond the vestal do, Janet Stephens has a whole series of forensic hairstyling demos spanning from ancient Rome to the 19th century, along with a couple modern videos for professional cosmetologists. I have watched a bunch of these already and will keep dipping as time allows (these aren't especially short YouTubes).

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Darn. That photograph of the modern model in the ancient hairstyle is as unedifying as all those confusing Roman paintings cited in the article.

For a hairstyle that complex, I want to see diagrams.

It sounds awesome, though.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But if you watch the demo, you can see exactly how it's done. It's really interesting how she worked it out from examining the statues.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Just a note for anyone else trying to watch the videos, if you go through the yahoo news link in the OP, the video is on the livescience site, and it's pretty terrible. I had trouble seeing any of the details at all. Watching on the youtube links in Diane's link is much clearer. Plus, it has links to all the other hair-style videos too, which look really interesting.

Here's the direct link to the youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9JYWh1r7U&list=UUboS0faGVeMi3n5_2LsVazw&index=1