Working out and writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
I find it difficult to do. My laptop doesn't fit very well on the treadmill, people look at me funny with a typewriter on the weight bench, and it's damn near impossible to write in a moleskine when trail-running. My writing is too ragged to read afterwards.

Now, incorporating working out and running AT SEPARATE TIMES in one's life is great.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Does anyone else find that a good run or other workout is helpful?

It depends. A workout usually gives me a good burst of energy, the time/solitude to think about my story, and a very strong desire to sit on my butt for an hour or two afterwards in SPITE of that burst of energy. So, I'm usually very productive after a workout.

The only problem is when I've done a super hardcore upper body workout (I do high intensity weight training). If I've been doing some serious lifting, my hands and wrists have often had enough. NOTHING cuts through writer's block like WANTING to write but being physically incapable of it. LOL I've seriously considered dictating to my husband a couple of times because my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't type. LOL (Doesn't happen as often anymore, now that my muscles are a bit more accustomed to working that hard)

So working out before writing can be a double-edged sword for me. I will say that I have resolved many plot issues while on an elliptical or a weight bench. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.