Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, who did not plan a dessert (and feels little need to eat, ever again)

Your siggy struck me as a bit funny, since I left Penn Yan only to come home to Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm now stuffed, like the turkey we just ate. The wine I picked up at the craft fair was a perfect complement to the meal, too. :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And another fresh day, this one starting with heavy fog, which I quite enjoy so long as I don't have to drive in it. Which I don't.

Maryn, preparing to do massive amounts of laundry

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know you got wine, Yeshanu. The area produces some very nice Rieslings, which are great with turkey, chicken, or fish.

Fish. Hmm, maybe I need to get some salmon for tonight. Doesn't that sound good?

Were there Amish vendors at the fair? You know, I only saw one Amish person the whole trip, and it was a bonnet-wearing woman on a bicycle, not someone in a horse-drawn carriage. When Mr. Maryn and I scouted the place a while back, we must've seen at least twenty. Darn these people for refusing to entertain and intrigue me on demand, huh?

Maryn, not fully unpacked yet

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
You just can't depend on the Amish for anything. :)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I saw two women on bicycles and one horse-drawn carriage, and plenty of roadside "souvenirs". Ew. :D

Ick.
I saw one Amish woman, but that's it. I saw all of the road signs warning us to be careful of buggys, but no actual buggys, which was disappointing. I was hoping to see at least one.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe that was the double thump I felt while speeding off in the dark Sunday morning...buggy pancake.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're home. too tired to post pictures. we ended up stopping at Gettysburg on the way. It was great. We got the dog and got home before a hail storm hit! now we're waiting for delivery pizza.

I got lottery tickets in TN, KY, OH, NY, PA, VA, AND GA. I missed Maryland and West VA. The traffic was so heavy and we were only in each of those for about 20 miles each. I almost hate to check, the daydream will be over onceI know they aren't winners.

Thanks for such a great time. We had so much fun.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were Amish at the craft fair. But they didn't look too conservative, I saw girls in hoodies with zippers and some of them had regular clothes, just the head covering to show they were Amish. Others looked like you imagine. We also saw a man with a horse and buggie.

I gotta say the house was a great find. It was wonderful to hear the waves from the lake and feel the breeze. I just wish we had a little longer. I was sad to come home, even though I am glad to be here now.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were Amish at the craft fair. But they didn't look too conservative, I saw girls in hoodies with zippers and some of them had regular clothes, just the head covering to show they were Amish. Others looked like you imagine.
Older teens? Probably on Rumspringer, or however it's spelled, a period of a couple years during which the person is encouraged to be a part of the non-Amish world to see what it's like, before committing to the Amish community and life for the rest of one's days.

Boys tend to dress like anybody else, learn to drive, get into rock or metal, buy all the gadgets, and find they have marketable skills like skilled carpentry which can make them a decent living despite their lack of education. You can't tell they're Amish.

Girls usually retain some identifying wardrobe item, often the bonnet, dress with far more modesty than their non-Amish counterparts, and find their skills don't lend themselves as well to modern society, so they end up waitressing or working minimum wage jobs.

Maryn, who saw a documentary on this

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Mennonite country up here, so what I was seeing wasn't anything I can't see within a half-hour drive of home. The Amish are a bit stricter than some of the Old Order Mennonites, but not really that much different. New Order Mennonites, which we also have lots of around our area, tend to be more like other mainline denominations in both dress and theology.

And it's kind of odd what they will or will not do. I've seen a van full of Mennonites in traditional dress stop for a bite at McDonald's, and I see them shopping at Value Village all the time.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
man my head is swimming lottery ticket numbers it is so confusing checking these all- this one you win $3.00 if two match that one if you match the powerball. BAH.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, who was that? Perhaps Cath?

I uploaded the pictures from my camera this morning. I still have to put them online, but some of them came out quite well. I hate the way I look in pictures (so old! so fat!), which is one reason to be the one holding the camera.

I have really flattering ones of several people, too. As a group, we have lovely smiles.

Maryn, who's got apple stuck in her teeth and is therefore disqualified

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, who was that? Perhaps Cath?
I'm the lime marmalade guy. I make it using the SureJell recipe with store-purchased limes. When I lived in Arizona I had lime trees, so I'd make it with my own limes. Could I have put "Estate Bottled" on the labels?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm the lime marmalade guy. I make it using the SureJell recipe with store-purchased limes. When I lived in Arizona I had lime trees, so I'd make it with my own limes. Could I have put "Estate Bottled" on the labels?

And charged twice as much, too.

*puts lime marmalade on list of stuff to do someday*

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the one time I tried marmelade it didn't work. :(

Might try it again sometime.

those apples are good Maryn. Thanks for sending them with us.

oh Mr. Groove just put Labyrinth in... gonna go. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cath, for a woman who doesn't care to be photographed, the one picture I took came out quite nicely. I would be glad to shoot it to you in email if you'd rather the world didn't see it until you'd had a chance to judge it.

Some of the HOL folks are pretty photogenic, actually. The pity is that I am not among them. At least I hope I look better in person than in pictures.

Maryn, who finally emptied her camera

Status
Not open for further replies.