Not open for further replies.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Just finished FREEFALL by Mindi Scott. Super excellent read. :D

Going to start YOU by Charles Benoit today. We're discussing it at our book club later this week. My husband finished it already and said the writing is good but the story fell a little short in his opinion. Eager to see what my own take on it will be.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm now reading Many Waters as I continue my way through the Wrinkle in Time series. I know not a lot of people like this one, but I really loved it when I was younger.

Then there's just An Acceptable Time, which I don't think I've read.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Oh, and I'm now reading Many Waters as I continue my way through the Wrinkle in Time series. I know not a lot of people like this one, but I really loved it when I was younger.

Then there's just An Acceptable Time, which I don't think I've read.

Oh, I loved it too. Although a lot of that was b/c I had a crush on the twins on the cover. I haven't read AAT either!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Blew through Karen Healey's GUARDIAN OF THE DEAD yesterday. Really solid book with a strong protagonist, lots of diverse characters and a nice bittersweet ending.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a 'grown up' fiction kick for the last few weeks, but once I've finished reading my current book I'm going to start an ARC of FORSAKEN by Jana Oliver, which hits the UK bookshelves in January.

MM

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just read Marked and then had to order the entire series. (by PC Cast). I love it!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I know it isn't YA specifically, but I'm reading LITTLE WOMEN right now. Reading about the March sisters and Orchard House makes me feel like I'm going home again. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I know it isn't YA specifically, but I'm reading LITTLE WOMEN right now. Reading about the March sisters and Orchard House makes me feel like I'm going home again. :)

I just bought LITTLE WOMEN not long ago. My mom has an old beat-up copy I must have read a million times growing up, but I needed my own copy. I love that book. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Sea which I enjoyed a lot. Decent lesson novel without being preachy. And I thought it was a great portrayal of a rich American kid in shock about how her very poor peers overseas live. Plus a good portrayal of another culture without exoticizing it.

Now I'm reading A Love St0ry Starring My Dead Best Friend. It's full of ninjas and nerds and lesbians and cross-country cycling trips; it's right up my alley :D

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm addicted to The Luxe series - I'm reading Rumors right now.

And today I started reading an ARC of Delirium by Lauren Oliver! :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler. It's got me sucked in. It's about a teen girl that has to take care of her schizophrenic mother after her dad bailed. I'm loving it.

BrandiZ

Agent Seeker!
Registered
Reaction score
Night Star

I'm reading Night Star by Alyson Noel. I went to visit my dad in Italy in October and grabbed the first of the series at one of the airports. I don't particularly like the characters, but I've read the other four so I need to know what happens.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Books I may read on my trip (since I won't be posting much):

Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle
An Acceptable Time by M L'E
Two Doctor Who books
Matched by Allie Condie
Jane by April Lindner
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
The Demon's Lexicon by ... I can't remember

And I am bringing my sister:
The Unidentified by Rae Mariz (ARC, not a gift, but the other two are)
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm reading Night Star by Alyson Noel. I went to visit my dad in Italy in October and grabbed the first of the series at one of the airports. I don't particularly like the characters, but I've read the other four so I need to know what happens.

I'm sure you will be dissapointed. I've read night star, and really after Evermore and Blue Moon where the series had promise, it's gone way, way down hill.

I think now she just is forcing herself to drag out the story, just to sell books. Or at least thats how I feel.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive my Fins, by Tera Lynn Childs.

Full disclosure: I'm not a big fan of paranormals. I'm a contemporary girl, all the way. But when a friend loaned me this book and said she loved it, I agreed to read it.

And didn't like it.

I enjoyed the first part of the book. The main character is a mermaid, and I haven't read many mermaid books. So, it was refreshing to read something different. The mer world is distinct from the human world, and the merpeople even have their own slang. But all the fishy phrases quickly began to annoy me (oh carp, no frogging way, etc)., and the main character is whiny and selfish. More importantly, there are a few humans who learn the MC is a mermaid. Not one of their reactions is realistic, in my view. They all immediately believe she's a mermaid, never asking for proof. I'm sorry, but if any of you tell me you're a mermaid, I'm going to need to see your fins...

And if you transform into your mer self before my eyes, I'm going to have a few questions. How do you pee, for example. :D

As I said, my friend really liked this book. It's also gotten good reviews. And I admit that I often find paranormal YA to be unsatisfying. So, to quote the MC, I may be a total blowfish. :rolleyes:

BrandiZ

Agent Seeker!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you will be dissapointed. I've read night star, and really after Evermore and Blue Moon where the series had promise, it's gone way, way down hill.

I think now she just is forcing herself to drag out the story, just to sell books. Or at least thats how I feel.

Yeah, it is disappointing! Argh!

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Sweet Life of Stella Madison. Eh. I do like Lara Zieses' writing style, and I loved her book Contents Under Pressure. But I wanted to slap Stella more than once. I found her whiny and immature. The book made me hungry though. lol

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read The Adoration of Jenna Fox yesterday. Amazing.

And, incidentally, not contemporary. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.