The personal rejection that crippled me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Orange

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've received over 100 rejections this past year for short stories. Some form, a few personal. I've had a few acceptances as well (just a few). Then I got a personal rejection from Ploughshares that, well, I wasn't sure how to interpret.

Ploughshares has a guest editor each issue. The guest editor solicits 50% of their content, and the other half is chosen from work that the regular staff recommends for their consideration. Well, I guess my story was one of the "offered" stories to the guest editor, who decided against it. So I got this wonderful personal rejection from the head fiction editor at Ploughshares, informing me that herself and other editors enjoyed the story and the character, but, ultimately, the guest editor decided against it.

So this completely crushed me...to come this close and fail. I wasn't sure whether to celebrate or to break down in defeat. I haven't been able to write anything since.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Do both. Then get back on the horse that threw you.

[Heck, actually throw a rejection party if you need one; I'm getting close on my job hunt.]

Timmy V.

Banned
Reaction score
So, I've received over 100 rejections this past year for short stories. Some form, a few personal. I've had a few acceptances as well (just a few). Then I got a personal rejection from Ploughshares that, well, I wasn't sure how to interpret.

Ploughshares has a guest editor each issue. The guest editor solicits 50% of their content, and the other half is chosen from work that the regular staff recommends for their consideration. Well, I guess my story was one of the "offered" stories to the guest editor, who decided against it. So I got this wonderful personal rejection from the head fiction editor at Ploughshares, informing me that herself and other editors enjoyed the story and the character, but, ultimately, the guest editor decided against it.

So this completely crushed me...to come this close and fail. I wasn't sure whether to celebrate or to break down in defeat. I haven't been able to write anything since.

Oh boy oh boy I get what you're saying. I was in a contest once. I didn't even want to be in the contest. And all these people were saying I should be in this contest I'd win I'd win and all that. Two of the judges were really bugging me to be in their contest because I'd win I'd win and all that. So I did join the contest and then I ended up being toward the bottom of the pack. I was so confused and devastated.

And I couldn't write again. And felt maybe I never would. And then...I did write. Time took the pain away. I think about 10 days later I was writing again.

We're writers, we love to write, we have to write. I suggest you not try to fight your feeling of dejection. It will fade naturally and your love of writing will prevail.

And you did come close and thats wonderful. Some of the editors did love your work. It seems an odd way they went about the choice anyway.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes, that one guest editor didn't like your story. It didn't work and the editor passed. He or she probably didn't remember it beyond a day or two afterward, if that - and it has nothing at all to do with the quality of your work. Meanwhile, you're letting this particular rejection paralyze you long after the incident.

Happens all the time, no matter where you are in your career.

Instead of letting the rejection throw you, think about it this way: the other editors *liked* your work. Have you submitted this story somewhere else? Believe me, you should - those folks aren't amateurs! Have you written any other comparable work? Send it in to Ploughshares. Because to have that kind of personal, regretful rejection says you're a long way ahead of most contributors. If you build a track record and reputation for thoughtful, well-written stories that come 'almost close enough', editors begin to build a rapport with you. It could help tip the balance when you send something they really like.

Sending out over 100 submissions in one year is a remarkable feat of tenacity in itself. I'd say celebrate, and get back on the horse.

Good luck, and we're pulling for you!

Mr. Orange

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the support

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I get it - it may take a while to get over how it feels, but you will. I suggest chocolate and re-subbing that piece immediately. Not necessarily in that order.

A couple years ago I was subbing a novel ms & got a few "good but not right for me" rejections from agents. One really threw me, though. It was from a rock star agent at a prestigious agency and I didn't really expect more than a form rejection - but you gotta dream big, right? Instead of a form she said I can write but am too far left of center to be marketable. (Yes, that's a quote: you're a good writer but are too far left of center for NY.)

That knocked the wind out of me. Center is a dot to me, so I stopped writing for a while, convinced it was a futile endeavor. But I was alternately bored and miserable, so I came back to it. And today I signed a publishing contract. It's with an e-publisher who is also pretty far left of center (different ms).

I guess my point is that if you don't give up you'll find the right market for that piece. Sure, we'd all love to be in Ploughshares (I would, anyway!), but if that's not your market it's not the end of the world. And it shouldn't be the end of your career either.

Do whatever you have to do to get past the stinging feeling, then press on! :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Some years ago I had a novel submission at a conference contest that seemed to be received pretty well. Then I had a major agent I was about to submit the thing to go out of her way to find me outside the conference building to tell me she really liked it, but that she didn't know how she could sell it, and didn't think anyone else could, either. i think she was trying to be encouraging.

Didn't turn out that way. That comment haunts me to this day, and a bunch of subsequent submission failures, for that manuscript and all kinds of other stuff have got me to the point I just don't submit anymore. The last straw was the Amazon annual contest three years ago, in which thousands of people make the first cut, and my submission did not. If you can't get over that minimal bar, what's the point?

caw

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Instead of letting the rejection throw you, think about it this way: the other editors *liked* your work. Have you submitted this story somewhere else? Believe me, you should - those folks aren't amateurs!

YES! My initial reaction was, Wow! The editors of Ploughshares liked your story! It DOES suck that the guest editor killed it. But I think you should try to see the silver lining in this "positive rejection" - you got the eds' endorsement. You're on your way - your work indisputably has quality, so it's a matter of time and luck before the right editor sees it. Meanwhile, as you keep going you'll get even better.

Have you written any other comparable work? Send it in to Ploughshares. Because to have that kind of personal, regretful rejection says you're a long way ahead of most contributors. If you build a track record and reputation for thoughtful, well-written stories that come 'almost close enough', editors begin to build a rapport with you. It could help tip the balance when you send something they really like.
I agree with this. They'll remember you next time you submit, and they may well take your next story.

And don't dismiss your few acceptances - that's awesome! A lot of people never get anything published.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I once submitted a story to a top, national glossy. One of the biggest magazines out there. Much time passed, much more than usual. At last I received an envelope. Inside was a long personal rejection. It said the first read loved the story. It said the assistant editor loved the story. It said that, in fact, everyone who worked on that floor read and loved the story. It said that everyone on the floor above and below read and loved the story. It said the story was passed from hand to hand all over teh building.

It also said the head honcho, the only person who really mattered, decided to reject the story, despite how much everyone else loved it.

Individual editors are like the rest of us. Sometimes we like a given story, and sometimes we don't. Reasons vary, and change from day to day. Maybe your story just doesn't have the p[ace, or the plot, or the kind of characters that one editor likes. Maybe your style simply isn't to that one editor's taste.

Or maybe you had a fried egg in your story, and that editor hates eggs.

When people like your story, it will probably sell, even if it is to a different publication. When people like your story, you'll find an editor who agrees, if you keep sending the story out. Somewhere you'll find an editor who likes fried eggs.

That story of mine went through a dozen editors before I found one who bought it, but it did sell, and to a top magazine, one that paid as much as that first one.

I also ended up selling that first editor two other stories that met with his approval.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Get rejection, record rejection, send the story back out within five business days. Feel good if you got a nice personal rejection. Otherwise don't waste time or emotion on that bit of paper or collection of pixels.

Yeah, easier said than done. But with practice, you can do it. And hey, you ALMOST GOT INTO PLOUGHSHARES!

Damn good.

Mr. Orange

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm still waiting to hear back from from the other journals ive sent this story to. Fingers crossed.

Liz's Dad

Registered
Reaction score
Shifting all the blame onto the guest editor. How crappy, how spineless is that!

I would be inclined to resubmit for the following issue. I'd enclose a copy of their original letter, and write, "Wow, I'm really glad you all enjoyed my story, even if you weren't able to print it last time. Since everyone else thought so highly of it, I'd have to be impossibly unlucky for the next guest editor not to like it either, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in print in this coming issue."

I am not being entirely flippant.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shifting all the blame onto the guest editor. How crappy, how spineless is that!

I would be inclined to resubmit for the following issue. I'd enclose a copy of their original letter, and write, "Wow, I'm really glad you all enjoyed my story, even if you weren't able to print it last time. Since everyone else thought so highly of it, I'd have to be impossibly unlucky for the next guest editor not to like it either, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in print in this coming issue."

I am not being entirely flippant.

As an editor, I would tell you what I'd say if a writer sent back a story with a letter like that, but my momma taught me not to use such langauge.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I once submitted a story to a top, national glossy. One of the biggest magazines out there. Much time passed, much more than usual. At last I received an envelope. Inside was a long personal rejection. It said the first read loved the story. It said the assistant editor loved the story. It said that, in fact, everyone who worked on that floor read and loved the story. It said that everyone on the floor above and below read and loved the story. It said the story was passed from hand to hand all over teh building.

It also said the head honcho, the only person who really mattered, decided to reject the story, despite how much everyone else loved it.

Individual editors are like the rest of us. Sometimes we like a given story, and sometimes we don't. Reasons vary, and change from day to day. Maybe your story just doesn't have the p[ace, or the plot, or the kind of characters that one editor likes. Maybe your style simply isn't to that one editor's taste.

Or maybe you had a fried egg in your story, and that editor hates eggs.

When people like your story, it will probably sell, even if it is to a different publication. When people like your story, you'll find an editor who agrees, if you keep sending the story out. Somewhere you'll find an editor who likes fried eggs.

That story of mine went through a dozen editors before I found one who bought it, but it did sell, and to a top magazine, one that paid as much as that first one.

I also ended up selling that first editor two other stories that met with his approval.

This happened to me, too, and it so happened that a much better magazine said yes.

It all reminds me of a friend, who having applied to every ivy league school out there, kept getting rejections.

Finally one of them sent her a 'maybe' we'll take you if a spot opens up. Please write back if you want us to place you on our short list.

As she was considering this offer and leaning toward, okay, put me on your short list, the last ivy league school she'd applied to, and which hadn't responded yet, sent her this: We want you! Now! Please tell us you want us, too!

So she had to write back to the school that offered her a spot on the short list to say: No thanks. Not interested in you anymore. I've been accepted by Harvard.

True story. She was accepted into Harvard Business School.

Status
Not open for further replies.