Anne Rice...

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
CBeasy said:
I remember hearing about this, but I didn't actually get to watch it. Was it a decent representation of the book, or was it terrible?

I watched it just the other day (a local video store had it on sale for a decent price). It's okay, but could have used a good dose of editing. The pacing really drags. I found it mostly uneven, with some parts that are riveting and other parts that bored me to tears. Luckily, since I have it on DVD, I can fast forward through the boring scenes to get to the good parts.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I haven't been an Anne Rice fan but did read one of her newer (newest?) books lately, "Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt". WOW! I have recommended it to several friends and they have enjoyed it too.

I haven't read "The Feast of All Saints". Would someone out there give me a quick overview so I can decide if I want to read it? It's set in New Orleans, one of the amazing places I've visited.

In the past I have found her subject material too disturbing (completely personal, since I read at bedtime I don't like reading nightmare fodder).

Judy

LadyArmand

Registered
Reaction score
As you can probably tell from my handle I rather like Anne Rice. I’ve read the Vampire Chronicles. I liked the series about the Mayfair Witches, Feast of All Saints was pretty good, as well as the Beauty Series. Although the Beauty series was not what I was expecting when I first started reading it. My favorite of her non vampire books though is The Mummy or Ramses the Damned.

LadyArmand

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feast of All Saints - it's hard for me to give an overview because the book is so detailed. Each time I read it, I take away something different. If you enjoy historical novels you may enjoy this one because it shows a part of history that you very seldom see. (no spoilers from me) :D

Queen of the Damned I read 5 times in a row. Not just 5 times - 5 times cover to cover with no other books in between. There are other books I've read 5 times, but never 5 times in a row.

I liked all the Mayfair Witch stories; I preferred them to the vampire stories but I'm not sure why. I've read Blackwood Farm twice. I really enjoyed it. I think what I liked about it - maybe what I like about Ann Rice in general is her detail. You can smell the candlewax, feel the lace, see those cameo buttons as if you held them in your hand.

A lot of authors can't 'do' that kind of detail (at least for me). It gets boring and I skip through to get to the 'good stuff'. I don't have that problem with her work. I read it all. For me, that says a lot.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
LadyArmand said:
As you can probably tell from my handle I rather like Anne Rice.

<-- Ha! Same here. Louis is not my real name, btw.

I agree that Body Thief was the weakest of her novels. I loved Queen of the Damned and was appalled by the atrocious movie they tried to make out of it. Memnoch was great, so was Lestat and the original Interview. Come to think of it, I love all her books except Body Thief. The last thing of hers I've read is Blackwood Farm. I liked it to, but the lead character, Quinn, became annoying as hell at times.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The Feast of All Saints.

Marcel Ste. Marie is a 14 year-old growing up in New Orleans pre-civil war. He is of the free people of colour, descendants of African slaves and Spanish.

Marcel is enamoured of a man who grew up in the quarter and left to live in Paris…Christophe. Christophe is a novelist and Marcel and his friends are drawn to him because he has risen above his people. Marcel is all hormone crazed, like boys his age tend to be…filled with desire and dreams and not sure what he wants to become in life. His best friend, Richard, is a boy becoming a man. Richard is in love with Marcel’s sister, Marie. Marie is falling, with the help of her mother, into despair. Richard intends to save her. Marcel finds out that Christophe is coming home to start a school for his people and is out of his skin with anticipation. Marcel has a fling with Christophe’s mother and almost ruins his chances to get in with Christophe’s good graces. Marcel does enter Christophe’s school though, and excels. His father, Phillipe, a plantation owner, allows Marcel to go into Christophe’s school after Marcel gets himself thrown out of another school.

I just realized what Unique already said. It’s impossible to pin this down. It’s layer upon layer upon layer. There’s Vincent Dazincourt, Dolly Rose and the death of her daughter, the evil and remorseful Lisette (Ooh, Lisette…I almost forgot. What a tragic character!).

Just think Great Expectations…a young man searching for his place in life, set in New Orleans. It’s breathtaking. Wait until Marcel finds the passion of daugerotype…wow!

Just read it. You will see…

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I tried reading "Interview with the Vampire" to see what all the hype was about, got half way into it, got bored and sold it back to the bookstore.

Ditto.

LadyArmand

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I think Interview with a Vampire is the weakest of the Vampire Chronicles. But then again I think the vampire novels were she isn’t primarily using Lestat’s voice all suffer in one way or another. This to me is because she has made Lestat her hero/our hero for the duration, and when he isn’t in the forefront the novel it tends to drag. Especially in novels like Blackwood Farm, where he’s basically a supporting cast member. Her detail which I usually love then becomes tedious and over thought (at least to me.) It took me a long time to read Interview with the Vampire. Of the Vampire Chronicles my favorite novel is The Vampire Lestat, because we finally get to hear about his life and hardships from him and not filtered through Louis and his issues with Lestat.

Tale of the Body Thief, I liked because as with all the books about Lestat being told by Lestat there is this element of him wanting to be redeemed. Then to have him at the end of Body Thief, make David who has gotten this new body, this second chance at life. But with the advantage we all wish we had, a vampire was delicious, because here is someone who wants to be redeemed, damning someone else and still expecting that person to love him for it. And getting that love, which is even more astonishing. Memnoch the Devil was interesting to me because here again it’s about Lestat wanting to be redeemed. And of all people the devil is offering it to him, through this woman. Yeah, it got a little heavy handed with the religious rhetoric, but it was still an interesting exploration into the desire of someone who calls himself a fiend yet yearns for redemption and the inability to either gain it or except it. Because he wants what he has, he likes what he is and what he can do. He loves that even among other immortals he’s seen as something other, something special. He genuinely loves being the Brat Prince reigning over this savage garden. He loves that even when he completely screws up as in Queen of the Damned and Tale of the Body Thief, they still love him, they still all gather to comfort him. And yet there is a part of him that can honestly say that he was forced to be what he is, he never consented and therefore should he be granted some sort of redemption for that fact alone.

Feast of all Saints

What I loved about Feast of all Saints is that for everything else it is, it’s also a novel that touches on something that not a lot of African American’s like to talk about which is the hierarchy within our own culture. What allows Marcel to rise above or at least be given the opportunity to rise above is the fairness of his skin. And that’s something that not a lot of authors black or white like to touch on. It opens too many wounds. But in this novel it’s done in such a way that it gets incorporated into the story telling without being preachy about it. It’s just a fact of life that like everything else has to be dealt with.

Last edited:

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I've only read one Rice book: The Queen of the Damned. Not awful, but not compelling. Her characters were intriguing, and the mythology she created for her vampires was pretty cool, but the plot seemed contrived and the writing/language itself was bland. Forgettable overall, at least IMO.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Also a not quite former Anne Rice Reader. I lost interest after the Pandor and Vittori the Vampire got a little silly. I'm not surprised she's returned to her Christian roots, and all the power too her, but I think that has alienated a lot of her brooding audience. I suppose The Vampire Lestat is also my favorite. I read a lot of vampire work in the past that was not wholely satistifing. That's why I wrote my own. 80)

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Jadezuki said:
Yeah, the pacing did tend to drag, but I was satisfied enough with the casting decisions, and felt like they at least tried to stick to the book. To put it mildly, it was no Queen of the Damned.
I admit, I love me some Anne Rice. I know she's an egotistical maniac, but I can't help it. If there's one thing she does well, it's to create an immursive novel. Queen of the Damned was the quintessenial bad movie adaption of a book. It was everything I hate about Hollywood. They jazzed everything up for the short attentioned spanned and basically eliminated any plot points that would have been hard to explain. Interview really wasn't too bad, but QotD was downright soul crushing.

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
CBeasy said:
I admit, I love me some Anne Rice. I know she's an egotistical maniac, but I can't help it. If there's one thing she does well, it's to create an immursive novel. Queen of the Damned was the quintessenial bad movie adaption of a book. It was everything I hate about Hollywood. They jazzed everything up for the short attentioned spanned and basically eliminated any plot points that would have been hard to explain. Interview really wasn't too bad, but QotD was downright soul crushing.

The film version of Queen of the Damned was to me a horrible letdown, especially since I'd loved Interview With the Vampire (the movie, that is) so much. That film will always be a classic to me; I loved everything about it, but especially, the chemistry between the performers. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Kirsten Dunst all gave outstanding performances, but more than that-the three of them made magic together. It remains to me one of the classiest and most intelligent horror films ever made.

Queen of the Damned, by comparison, is little more than a cheesy B flick with some bad special effects. The only things that make it even halfway salvageable are the soundtrack (ok, it does have some great tunes) and maybe that sexy hot tub scene with Aliyah and Townsend (who incidentally might have made a halfway decent Lestat had he been given better material to work with) but otherwise I hated it. Again, maybe it if weren't for the comparison to IWTV, I might find it more tolerable, but as a sequel to that film, it was just downright embarrassing.

Eleasha

Registered
Reaction score
Canada. All the way from 'eh' to 'zed'.....
I haven't seen either movie, and I'm dying to (even though everyone everywhere says QotD sucks). I'll probably have to wait till I move out of my parents's house in another year and a half. :S

QotD wasn't my fave of the Vamp Chronicles, but that's not to say that I didn't like it. I'd read it just for the Daniel/Armand stuff. But the parts with Mekare and Maharet dragged a little for me. And it's painful to see Lestat with a female, even if it is Akasha. Just horrifying to my poor strained yaoi fangirl sensibilities. That was the only bone of contention between me and Tale of the Body Thief; that Gretchen person.

And, just to say here... I think the worst book of the entire Vamp Chron. has to be Blood Canticle. I mean... I loved Lestat's voice in it. I thought it was totally hilarious. But it WASN'T LESTAT!!!!! It was sooooo wrong! And that stupid bitch Mona Mayfair. -_- And poor Quinn (who was always a bit of an oddball anyway, which could explain it) in love with that witch. (Lame pun most strongly intended.) I don't know. I figure that Blood Canticle being the only book I own that I have ever accidently dropped into the bath has to be an omen or something.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Vampire Chronicles wouldn't have ended like that if her husband hadn't gotten sick. She says Stan Rice was the inspiration for Lestat, and when he got cancer and was dying, she apparently didn't want to write about vampires or witches anymore. The voice was completely different from the Lestat from Books 2-5. As I read Blood Canticle, I could sort of see the inspiration dying as she wrote it.

I've read almost all of her books she's published, and I liked most of them to some degree, or at least didn't hate them. I notice her earlier ones are usually better than the ones that followed. She said that after The Queen of the Damned was published, she asked her editor to not give her thorough edits anymore. And fittingly enough, QotD and The Mummy were the last ones that I thought were really good.

Since she isn't writing horror anymore, maybe I can make myself some territory of my own...

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I loved the Mayfair Witches series, enough that I named my first daughter Rowyn, but the rest of her work left me a little cold after the first 15 pages of describing a sunset.

Sneaky Devil

Tale-spinner
Registered
Reaction score
Vampire Chronicle Fiend

I cannot get over Anne Rice's Vamipre Chronicles (or The Lives of the Mayfair Witches). I am now currently reading them again for the millionth time.
My favs are Queen of the Damned (horrible movie though!) and I especially LOVE The Vampire Armand. He is my FAVORITE, though Marius and David come a close second to Armand, I must admit.
Who doesn't love David Talbot???

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
(raises hand)

Not a big fan of David Talbot. Never have been a big fan. I found his character to be too cosmic good- He seemed so...whiny....maybe.....I don't know. Just bothered me- I did however always enjoy Lestat's interaction with him.

I do however adore Marius and Armand. I read The Vampire Armand many times until Blood and Gold came out- then I found I preferred that one. But honestly, give me any one of the Chronicals and I'm happy.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I'm not a big fan of David either. I agree if Queen of the Damned was going to be ruined in a movie, they should never have made it at all.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I started reading those books when I was 10, so I've read them a billion times. Up until Anne Rice went on YouTube telling everyone what they were really about. It was like a stab in the heart.
My favorite, I think, was Pandora. And Tale of the Body Thief.
But I'm upset with AR, so I won't be opening the books anytime soon.

Yathrib

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in absolute idol worship over these books, and here's why:
I read and positively adored Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. I felt that after that, the books just tanked off in quality. I stopped with Memnoch the Devil and haven't even finished it (that was well over a year ago.
Someone told me that A.R. doesn't use editors, and I think that has a huge hand in my distaste for the later works. The first two she worked really hard on, and you can tell that they are of a high quality, but after that, she stopped putting so much effort into them. Without an editor, there's no one to say, "Hey Anne, you know I love your blood suckers and all, but don't you think we could do without this little piece here?"
It's like there's no filter or modifier to her work, and that's ok because, sheesh, the lady could get her grocery list published and it would be on the NYTimes bestsellers list.

Anywho, I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of a good vampire book, but I felt that Rice's works do deserve to receive some criticism once in a while.

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice

If you're friends with her on Facebook, you've seen this:

The last Vampire Chronicle was written in 2002. For me, there is no going back to the vampires. I am a Christian novelist now, and probably was in the past while not admitting it.

What do you think?

For me, it ruined the Vampire Chronicles for me. I started them when I was 10 and they meant so much to me. Now that I know what she was really doing, it's like a chunk of my soul is missing.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
So a mormon and a christian write vampire novels...

Sounds like the set-up to a bad joke.

Reaction score
Why is that a joke?

At least IwtV was a good book.

*coughlookinatyoustephcough*