Neither is, neither are

Kittens Starburst

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither of you is ready to hear.'

My grammar checker thinks it should be 'are ready'. It's wrong, right?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just decided to leave a word out - as you are perfectly free to do. And dialogue is priviledged content, so the speaker can say whatever he wishes in whatever manner his character would say it.

I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither [one] of you is ready to hear.'

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As Bufty says, you're just omitting the word 'one' so I would use 'is' - i.e. 'neither one... is ready'.

Darn grammar checkers, always trying to tell us humans what is and isn't right. :)

MaxWriter

Bring it on, I can take it...
Registered
Reaction score
"Is" sounds wrong to my ear.

You are not ready to hear this. Neither of you are ready to hear.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Is" sounds wrong to my ear.

You are not ready to hear this. Neither of you are ready to hear.

You are not ready to hear this is correct.

Neither of you are ready to hear may sound correct when the ear regards "you" as the subject when it's really the object of the preposition.

"Neither" is singular, so "is" is correct.

However, as plural antecedents referring to singular nouns become more and more popular, the mixing of all plurals and singulars tends to blur the lines between old school correct and what's accepted by publishers and readers.

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
but, it's dialogue, so does that particular character need to speak technically correctl?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
but, it's dialogue, so does that particular character need to speak technically correctl?

Usually, no, but a character who uses language like this is almost certainly going to get it right.

A different character might say, "Ain't neither of you ready to hear", but this language strikes me as to well refined for the character to get it wrong.

Dialogue must be true to character. Something this means wrong is perfect, but at other times, when the character is one who knows and uses proper grammar, only perfect is perfect.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I have a character talking to two people, and he says, 'Quite frankly, neither of you is ready to hear.'

Well, "of you" is the prepositional phrase. Take at the prepositional phrase and it's "neither is/are ready to hear." Finally, neither (one) (of you) is ready to hear.

Spell check is incorrect.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
Aw! Susan, I just have to say 'thank you'. English grammar is something I think I never learn to understand. I barely know in which order to write the ordinary words. English grammar sure makes my head spin at times.