Why Do You Want To Be A Published Author?

What's the MAIN reason you want to be PUBLISHED?

• To be famous or well-known, like King or Rowling. (Status)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I want to write a really great piece of literature that becomes an enduring classic.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I hope to make great money so I don't have to work a 9-to-5 anymore.

• To make a little extra money. I don't expect to get rich from it.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • I'd love the adoration that comes from fans and fan clubs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to educate, teach, inspire and instruct with my ideas.

• I love storytelling and want to see my book in print. I don't care about money or fame.

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • It's my ticket to Hollywood-style celebrity and all that it entails.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
This is a spin-off of the "How Do They Get Away With That?" in the Writing Novels forum. We've all seen authors, some famous and some not, that break "the rules" of writing that unpublished writers have drilled into them. (Show, don't tell and use of passive voice, for example.)

In the end, publishing is a business and publishers will buy what they believe will sell well. We all know the ultimate mantra: Great writing trumps everything.

I wanted to do a poll to learn the MAIN reason writers on AW want to be published. We all have our reasons for wanting to write, but why do you want to be published? Everyone will likely have more than one reason, but, if you had to choose one reason that tops them all, what would it be? If your exact answer isn't listed, please choose the one that comes closest to your main reason and then tell us about it.

Results are anonymous and NO ANSWER IS A WRONG OR SHALLOW ANSWER.

To be famous or well-known, like King or Rowling. (Status)
I want to write a really great piece of literature that becomes an enduring classic.
I want to make great money so I don't have to work a 9-to-5 anymore.
To make a little money. I don't expect to get rich from it.
I'd love the adoration that comes from fans and fan clubs.
I want to educate, teach, inspire and instruct with my ideas.
I love storytelling and want to see my book in print. I don't care about money or fame.
It's my ticket to Hollywood-style celebrity and all that it entails.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I love storytelling and want to see my book in print. I don't care about money or fame.

This one

What I always find weird is that with other creative pastimes ( say painting ) people don't expect to have an exhibition. But when you write, it's almost like it's not worth doing unless it gets published. Maybe that's the family / friends influence - they think it can't be good unless it's published, whereas a painting they can like or dislike all on their own :) Being puiblished is like someone patting you on the back and saying 'you know, you're not too shabby at it after all'

I write because I love to - but being published - icing on the cake.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
This one

What I always find weird is that with other creative pastimes ( say painting ) people don't expect to have an exhibition. But when you write, it's almost like it's not worth doing unless it gets published. Maybe that's the family / friends influence - they think it can't be good unless it's published, whereas a painting they can like or dislike all on their own :) Being puiblished is like someone patting you on the back and saying 'you know, you're not too shabby at it after all'

I write because I love to - but being published - icing on the cake.

I finished the poll, IdiotsRUs, so be sure to come back and vote. Thanks for responding!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I want to make enough money to avoid a 9-to-5 because I enjoy storytelling and want to spend my life doing it. So I picked the option that fit best...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A mix of:

I want to write a really great piece of literature that becomes an enduring classic.

and

I like telling stories. Writing is very important to me on many levels. I want people to read and enjoy my work. I write about a lot of tough topics. I write about the ugly side of life. Partially to entertain. But mostly, because my biggest goal as an author, is I know what it's like being part of that ugly side, feeling very, very alone, and I want someone else to read what I've written and say "hey...that's me." To remember they're not alone out there. Someone understands. I want other people to understand. Literary merit is important to me, too, of course. I'm very selective about what I read, and I want to write a great novel. I want to write great stories. I'm not sure whether I'll have kids or not, so at this point, it's the little part of me that will always be, I hope. That will live on.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, SPMiller.

I enjoy WRITING because I love imagination. I love being told, and telling, stories. I like the way they evoke and stir emotions in people. Books can take you anywhere. That's remarkable to me and I enjoy being a part of that.

I want to be PUBLISHED for the money. I hate working a 9-to-5. I have no problems keeping my butt in a chair and writing for 8 hours a day. I want to be in control of my own time and not have a company that doesn't care two hoots about its employees telling me what I need to do for them. Most people spend the best parts of their lives working for companies with very little return for their time. Yes, there are those who enjoy their jobs and their companies treat them well, and I'm very happy for them. It's just not the case for the majority of people.

Sorry. Show me the money. I don't need to be endlessly wealthy, but if I could make even $50,000 a year from my writing, I would be pleased and content with that.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the chicks, man. The chicks.

What other reason could there possibly be?

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
A mix of:

and

I like telling stories. Writing is very important to me on many levels. I want people to read and enjoy my work. I write about a lot of tough topics. I write about the ugly side of life. Partially to entertain. But mostly, because my biggest goal as an author, is I know what it's like being part of that ugly side, feeling very, very alone, and I want someone else to read what I've written and say "hey...that's me." To remember they're not alone out there. Someone understands. I want other people to understand. Literary merit is important to me, too, of course. I'm very selective about what I read, and I want to write a great novel. I want to write great stories. I'm not sure whether I'll have kids or not, so at this point, it's the little part of me that will always be, I hope. That will live on.

I'm not surprised by your answer in the least, kuwisdelu. It comes across in all of your posts. It's admirable and I respect people with these ideals. I wish you every success.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
A mix of:

and

Couldn't have said it better myself.

To add on a bit, when I was a kid, for whatever reason, I didn't connect with others around me. I felt so isolated, and I wanted desperately to connect with someone who UNDERSTOOD. And then I picked up Bradbury. And I realized, I'm not alone.

I want to be 'Bradbury' to someone else.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to make some kid, somewhere, giggle - though preferably one not related to me and who paid money for the privilege :).

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I love books. I love reading a great novel, one that keeps me flipping pages and makes me feel emotions right along with the characters. I want to do that for someone else. It's not about "classic" literature and it's not about fame in the movie star sense. I want to entertain and to touch people with my stories the same way my favorite writers do that for me.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score

That's the closest fit for me- although I wouldn't be disappointed if a lot of money came with it.

I'd be happy knowing my stories made people laugh and helped people see life's little challenges in a more optimistic light.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Whether I want to or not is still up for debate. I'm like Sybil on crack...sometimes, hmmmm....maybe. Other times, meh...fahgetaboutit.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
While many of those choices would result in nice, warm, fuzzy feelings and a heavier wallet, I want to be published so someone half-way round the world who's never heard of me, isn't my sister or my best friend or my worst enemy, picks it up, buys it, takes it home, reads it and hands it to someone they know and says, "This is a damn good book. You oughta read it."

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I have an answer.
I think just to be read. To have written something that, not just by my standards or the standards of people I know, is good enough to reach that ultimate. Everything after that is gravy. I just want to work at the thing I love, improve, and attempt every so often to see if I just might have gotten good enough. I want to stretch to see what I'm capable of...and you can't win if you don't play.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I guess...in my clearer moments...I like to picture a reader having an aha moment and loving the world just a little bit more after reading an insight or a line. Nobody loves the world enough. It's pretty amazing, really. I want someone to see something miraculous in the totally inane through one of my character's eyes. I suppose. But then...meh.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I've been writing some sort of thing my whole life. I've spent years of my life writing, if you added all the time up. I guess it's something personal with me. It seemed a couple of years ago the only choice left was for me to try and take it to the next level.....become published. If I ever live that dream and make any money, I won't be unhappy, but money isn't the prime drive. I guess to see my name on a bound book one day, will be the greatest feeling. The sick thing is I want to earn it the hard way. Those rejection letters just make me want it a little more and have me trying a little harder.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I chose: "I love storytelling......don't care about money or fame."

Which is mostly true and the best fit. I've been writing stories all my life. I love to imagine someone enjoying my book on the bus or at home after a long day at work.

I'm not against money. I really hope I can make a real living with my writing one day. But I don't need to be rich. As for fame- maybe I'm an oddity- but I have NO desire to be famous. I'm way too private for that. A respected writer with a nice following is good for me. I wouldn't want to lose my privacy like King, Rice, or Rowlings.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I love sharing stories, but I also want to make enough money to quit the 8-to-6 (does 9-to-5 even exist anymore?). I don't want fame, though. I want to be rich and not have anyone know. Plus, I like my privacy, so much so that I won't even blog.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I've loved spinning tales since I was a child, and I love sharing them. When someone says that something I wrote made them smile, or laugh, I feel like I've contributed something good to the universe, somehow. Not that money wouldn't be nice, but I'm not counting (no pun intended) on ever making a living at writing. It's just something that brings me great joy, and I'd like to share that joy. Besides, like Scott Adams, my job(s) over the years have given me a lot of "plot bunnies," as they say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.