Website, adobe, and flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
It was pointed out to me that my website doesn't work on Apple products, something to do with adobe and/or flash not being compatible. (Technically, I'm an idiot so forgive me if I have the terminology wrong...)

That being the case, seems to me I'm making myself invisible to a lot of people, phone and iPad users primarily. I guess Mac users of all stripes. Which brings me to my questions:

Is there something I can do to fix my website to make it Mac friendly?

If not, am I right in thinking I need to start afresh on a more user-friendly platform?!

All thoughts, suggestions, and help appreciated. :)

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, Apple got into some kind of snit with Adobe, and has never supported Flash on the iPhone/iPod or iPad. Here's an Apple op-ed on the matter.

I have some disagreement with that piece, but the point here is:

...we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads.

CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) provide methods for creating pages based on the browser being used. That's pretty technical, though. So unless you're going to hire a Web programmer and/or designer, that's probably not realistic.

Is your site custom-developed from the ground up? Does it use a platform like Wordpress or Joomla?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Mark, I have a MacBook Pro, and your website works fine.

The circles on your Fiction work as the cursor moves to the different titles. The "Bookseller" link opens up to the first three chapters. Your blog link works fine. Any other link I tried worked.

Is there a specific spot on your website that doesn't work with Apple?

(Awesome, imaginative site, by the way.)

Deleted member 42

Flash sites won't work on iOS, which means iPhones and iPads.

They also won't list well in search engines, who rely on searchable text, unless you have a separate HTML version with the text.

Notice that I can't link to a specific page on your site, say, if I want to send a friend a link.

Flash sites don't work at all for visually disabled users relying on technology that reads the screen for them.

Flash really isn't a good idea for most Web sites.

ETA: My screen reader just tells me "This Website is not compatible."

Which, you know, doesn't make a reader want to go out and buy books.

And the Blogger site for you blog? Works like a charm, no matter what device OS I'm using.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Okay, so I'm getting the sense that I need to start from scratch on a non-flash basis.

(And yes, I built it up from scratch using Wix... or is it Weebly? One of those two, but I put it together myself. Lots of hours... but I want it to be accessible to everyone, especially search engines so it looks like I need to head back to the drawing board. So be it. :))

Deleted member 42

Okay, so I'm getting the sense that I need to start from scratch on a non-flash basis.

(And yes, I built it up from scratch using Wix... or is it Weebly? One of those two, but I put it together myself. Lots of hours... but I want it to be accessible to everyone, especially search engines so it looks like I need to head back to the drawing board. So be it. :))

Honestly, you could do what you need to do with Blogger or Wordpress. And both make it simple to move your content (your text, your images etc.) to another tool/Content Management System or site. Wix doesn't and neither does Weebly.

Status
Not open for further replies.