Status
Not open for further replies.

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
But will it really cme to that? I can't see books totally disappearing, after all we still have CD for music, the market hasn't completely gone. And then there are those that enjoy a book in its old form. I also find it hard to see people going to a beach with an Ebook Reader and leaving it to go for a swim.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe books will get even more graphics, since it will be cheaper to do that digitally than in print.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe books will get even more graphics, since it will be cheaper to do that digitally than in print.

THis was more or less my thoughts. I foresee books slowly merging with graphic novels.

Not to say we are all going to be reading/writing comic books LOL

But it will become a lot easier to insert pictures into books and even moving images

If I were to grab my crystal ball, in a couple of hundred years, 'books' are going to be more like video games--an interactive experience.

***paging futurist Zoombie***

Mel...

elae

time to draw
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.niki-smith.com
I'd say it's the opposite, actually. People won't be browsing just book spines on a store shelf anymore, they'll be virtually browsing listings with full cover images on their iPads, Kindles, nooks, laptops. The entire cover will now be their first impression, rather than an interesting title that makes them pull it off a shelf.

Once it's purchased and downloaded, readers may not see the cover as much, but people still browse before purchasing, and they often browse visually. Back cover images may fade away, though.

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com
I think cover art might die, in the most literal interpretation of the concept, but book art will stick around. The most effective way to catch somebody's attention is create a big, shiny visual. I don't think electronic media will change that.

THis was more or less my thoughts. I foresee books slowly merging with graphic novels.

Mel...

This concept makes me EXTREMELY happy. Sequential art is a massively underrated art form IMO and it would thrill me for it to have even a minor revival. I also tend to imagine in living color. I've illustrated several scenes of my novel, just for my own purposes. Getting to apply that kind of work in "print" would be awesome.

Not that it would ever really work like that. But it'd still be cool to use full color illustrations for emphasis. I wouldn't want to move ALL THE WAY into Graphic Novel territory, but maybe like an optional "enhanced reading experience" or something.

I also think that increasing the number of graphics involved in books might create a more effective marketing tool. A lot of video game/movie buzz is created when concept art gets released. It's a little far fetched, but who knows?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
strangely enough I just commented on this subject. I think e-pub covers are vital and won't be phased out

thehairymob

If I had a brain I'd still be dumb
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
I like the idea of pictures in ebook, reminds me of illuminated manuscripts of the past and with the new tech we could have moving scenes. Of course then many would find they could not compete with the big time publisher, who would have the resources to do this.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Media convergence is changing everything we do, and probably for the better.

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com
I like the idea of pictures in ebook, reminds me of illuminated manuscripts of the past and with the new tech we could have moving scenes. Of course then many would find they could not compete with the big time publisher, who would have the resources to do this.

If somebody offered to pay me $500 and/or royalties to do illustrations for their e-book, I'd do it. Arty people are called "Starving artists" for a reason. I'm sure a small publisher could scrape together enough money to help an artist pay their bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.