F.C.C Votes: Yes on Net Neutrality

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
They were having a bit of a disagreement as to where libertarians stood on the issue of breaking up monopolies, so I referred to the libertarian party platform.

Yeah, where they stood thirty years ago.

But sure, another in-depth dissection of libertarianism is exactly what is needed here.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Where they stood then was brought up in the context of where they stand now.

I didn't bring them up. Mine was not the first, second, third, or even fourth (or 5th, or 6th, ect) post on libertarianism. You responded to it before I did. But sure, try to call ME out for yet another thread becoming all about libertarianism. I'm sure if I hadn't chimed in, it wouldn't have been brought up at all.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Where they stood then was brought up in the context of where they stand now.

I didn't bring them up. Mine was not the first, second, third, or even fourth (or 5th, or 6th, ect) post on libertarianism. You responded to it before I did. But sure, try to call ME out for yet another thread becoming all about libertarianism. I'm sure if I hadn't chimed in, it wouldn't have been brought up at all.
Pardon, but you went into a breakdown of the Libertarian Party's platform. And of course you're free to do so. But that breakdown has very little to do with anything that came before it in this thread, aside from your own foray into the little "l"/big "L" stuff. Safety nets? Discrimination policies? Frakking?

You want to try to take the thread in this direction? So be it. Anyone who so desires can go along for the ride.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry my post so offended you. Curious as to why none of the others on the same topic did, but whatever. I'd rather not make this a thread about how relevant one poster thought my post was, so let's move along, shall we?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not offended in the least. I just thought an anti-Libertarian Party breakdown was somewhat misplaced, given that the essential issue--that brought libertarianism into this--was whether or not libertarians were happy in '82 with the break-up of Ma Bell.

But again, I'm certainly not saying you can't or shouldn't go where you went. Just that you're the one choosing to go there.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The Pledge thing is so ridiculous I can only interpret as snark.
As to the last part of your post, again, I can only see it as snark. I'd feel really pedantic pointing out all the ways in which it isn't analogous, so I won't.
I think you were reading too much into my post. The whole thing was snark.

Do we need a Snark smilie?

Okay, apparently I have to spell it out.

You wrote in an earlier post:
In fact, even though the "big L little l" distinction has been mentioned to the point of tediousness on these boards, I would guess that most people who self-identify as libertarian support libertarian candidates.
Maybe you could set up a poll for this, but ...

My main point is you had even MENTIONED the big L/little l thing, and yet you used all lower case even when using it as part of party platform:
At any rate, like Amadan, Don made no distinction between "libertarians" and "libertarians who don't agree with the political party."

They were having a bit of a disagreement as to where libertarians stood on the issue of breaking up monopolies, so I referred to the libertarian party platform.
... and yet I can't imagine you not capitalizing Republican Party platform or Democratic Party platform.

The grammar section has had several threads discussing when to capitalize the word god/God. Do we need one there on libertarian as well?

But Mr. robovowels appears to get it:
I'm not offended in the least. I just thought an anti-Libertarian Party breakdown was somewhat misplaced, given that the essential issue--that brought libertarianism into this--was whether or not libertarians were happy in '82 with the break-up of Ma Bell.

But again, I'm certainly not saying you can't or shouldn't go where you went. Just that you're the one choosing to go there.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you were reading too much into my post. The whole thing was snark.

Do we need a Snark smilie?

Okay, apparently I have to spell it out.

You wrote in an earlier post:

Maybe you could set up a poll for this, but ...

My main point is you had even MENTIONED the big L/little l thing, and yet you used all lower case even when using it as part of party platform:

... and yet I can't imagine you not capitalizing Republican Party platform or Democratic Party platform.

The grammar section has had several threads discussing when to capitalize the word god/God. Do we need one there on libertarian as well?

But Mr. robovowels appears to get it:

I always go small "g" with sinister relish...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
^
I bet those 400 pages are a rip roarin' good read, though.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder on what page the power to levy new taxes on internet activity will appear.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
http://www.wsj.com/article_email/obamanet-is-hurting-broadband-1442183370-lMyQjAxMTA1MzEzNDIxMzQwWj

Before Obamanet went into effect, economist Hal Singer of the Progressive Policy Institute predicted in The Wall Street Journal that if price and other regulations were introduced, capital investments by ISPs could quickly fall from the $77 billion invested in 2014—between 5% and 12% a year, according to his forecast.
Now Mr. Singer has analyzed the latest data, and his prediction has come true. He found that in the first half of 2015, as the new regulations were being crafted in Washington, major ISPs reduced capital expenditure by an average of 12%, while the overall industry average dropped 8%. Capital spending was down 29% at AT&T and Charter Communications, 10% at Cablevision, and 4% at Verizon. ( Comcast increased capital spending, but on a new home-entertainment operating system, not broadband.)
Until now, spending had fallen year-to-year only twice in the history of broadband: in 2001 after the dot-com bust, and in 2009 after the recession. “In every other year,” Mr. Singer wrote for Forbes, “ISPs—like hamsters on a wheel—were forced to upgrade their networks to prevent customers from switching to rivals offering faster connections.”
Yea doom has cometh true...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
No problem. Government will just take over infrastructure development and maintenance. They can be depended on to do as well as they've done with roads, water, dams, schools, aviation, bridges and wastewater.

Why, in no time at all, we'll have at least a D+ level electronic infrastructure we can be proud of! Of course, they'll have to raise taxes on internet access a whole bunch to pay for all that free infrastructure.

Who could have possibly have predicted such a thing? Well, other than Hal Singer and a whole bunch of other people, that is.

Why does this remind me of breadmaking, you ask?

These very simple guidelines
You can rely upon:
You're gouging on your prices if
You charge more than the rest.
But it's unfair competition
If you think you can charge less.
A second point that we would make
To help avoid confusion:
Don't try to charge the same amount:
That would be collusion!

Last edited: