The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all good news today. Passing on the vibes to all of you!

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
(((st22))) I know exactly where you're at. Had a roughly similar comment that was genre specific to my work. I went bug-eyed and wondered *exactly* what you did--why are we doing this? I've decided that it's the best method to keep us from ever getting a big head. I will look back on rejections regularly to keep me grounded if I ever (e-v-e-r) sell.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I may be jumping the gun on my worries — I'm telling myself that if I don't have confidence in my work, the agent has no reason to, either. That "seven submissions is all you can expect" quote I heard was for SF, I think. YA seems to have a lot of markets right now.

*pours Fuchsia a big glass of confidence* *hugs*

It only takes one.

Must remind myself of this more often.

Hugs and luck to all again. :]

On a non-monumental front...the distract myself from submissions short story I wrote got picked up. tiny woo hoo
:]

WOOT WOOT! Noompsy.

(((ST))) (((Mad)))

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to post on page 666 of The Next Circle of Hell.

ETA: congrats to noompsy! and St22, funny is even more subjective than "good and bad." But those comments do sting (what do you MEAN it'not funny?)

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
{{{ST}}}} {{{Mad}}}} Sorry guys. :-(

Misses - good luck on your second read!! I'm still waiting on a response after mine - it's been three weeks (yes, I'm going a little crazy!)

Congrats Noompsy!

To everyone with quiet stirrings that might become good news - GOOD LUCK!!!!

And to everyone who's had not so great news lately, I've got my fingers crossed that it'll turn around for you soon!

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Misses & Mad- I know, right? Being told you AREN'T funny and your writing ISN'T clever is just a punch in the nose. My husband was like, why should you care what some lady said? B/c I want EVERYONE to think my writing funny and clever. I want it's humor and intelligence to transcend genres and gender and socio-economic status and eclipse the sun in its awesomeness :)

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Misses & Mad- I know, right? Being told you AREN'T funny and your writing ISN'T clever is just a punch in the nose. My husband was like, why should you care what some lady said? B/c I want EVERYONE to think my writing funny and clever. I want it's humor and intelligence to transcend genres and gender and socio-economic status and eclipse the sun in its awesomeness :)

I'mma just gonna quote that, because it is, indeed, awesome.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Misses, Best of luck on second reads!!!!!

Fuchsia, only 7 submissions isn't even close to my experience. YA is a very wide market. So hopefully you can go on several more rounds if this one doesn't work out. However, in the event that your agent did cut and run, you'd still have plenty of editors/imprints a new agent could pitch the story to :)

Maybegenius, Good luck with your hopeful stirrings!!!

Mad, good luck with being read, and lots of good vibes for the R&R!!!! *hugs* for the rejection!!!

Tracy, Good luck on your second reads too!!!

{{ST}}} those buggers STING, but it's just one person's opinion. The feeling will fade. Trust me. :)

Noompsy, congrats on the short story!!!

Happy 666 day in Hell!! ;)

Crickets for me, but it's only been, like, two weeks ;) Can't complain, so I'll just be supportive! :)

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Noompsy!!!
Congrats on the 2nd read, Misses!!!

(((Mad)))
(((St)))
I feel your pain.
I received a rejection last week that basically said she just didn't get any of it - the world, the storyline, character motivation etc. Honestly, I didn't write for about five days because of the soul-crushing this rejection gave me.
Today, I'm back at the laptop and feeling good. Well, I'm nervous about R&R that is now with agent (for editor), but overall I'm not so down about my writing as I was last week.
I keep virtual post-it notes on my screen with complimentary quotes about my writing from the great editors and agents who have read it. It keeps me going through the dark days.

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
*pours Fuchsia a big glass of confidence*

Thanks, Snappy! I need it! But on the plus side, I got nominated for a national award today for something I wrote at work... Actually, it was just a sidebar to someone else's great story that I forgot I even wrote. But I'll take what I can get.

I feel the same way, st22! All the time! It helps to remind myself of all the acclaimed/best-selling writers who just aren't for me. I know a hugely successful writer who still gets so upset about every negative Amazon or blog review that he responds personally, even though he has upward of 70 fans at every store reading. Can't please everyone...

Congrats on your story, Noompsy. And congrats to this thread for reaching page 666!

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Hiya, Hellions! Hugs to everyone who needs one. I am neck-deep in a new novel (working title "This Delicate Poison") and just cruised past the 45k mark, so that's why I've been absent. When I'm first drafting, everything else just sort of disappears. This novel is going much better than the previous one, which I affectionately call 'The Novel From Hell'. And not the nice part of Hell where we all hang out, either.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Aw Tracy! Sorry to hear.

Second reads are the worst! Well, except when they're the best that one time, I imagine. But the rest of them are torture.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I keep virtual post-it notes on my screen with complimentary quotes about my writing from the great editors and agents who have read it. It keeps me going through the dark days.

This is brilliant. Tell me more about these virtual post-it notes. :)

Thanks, Snappy! I need it! But on the plus side, I got nominated for a national award today for something I wrote at work... Actually, it was just a sidebar to someone else's great story that I forgot I even wrote. But I'll take what I can get.

No, no. No taking what you can get. No passivity here. This is AWESOME! Congratulations! Breaking out the bananas...
rainbow.gif
rainbow.gif

(((Tracy))) I love and hate second reads. Love because your one step closer. Hate because if it doesn't go your way the blow hurts that much more. *Opens the bar. Mixes drinks.*

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Change of subject here, gang! Will be on CBC Radio on May 28 at 1 PM and on June 2 at 4 PM with Shelagh Rogers on The Next Chapter. If you aren't in Canada but would like to put a voice to these posts (I think I sound like a chihuahua, personally), it will be livestreamed on CBC's website (cbc.ca/thenextchapter) and up as a podcast as of Monday. Sure hope I didn't babble!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Fuchsia, only 7 submissions isn't even close to my experience. YA is a very wide market. So hopefully you can go on several more rounds if this one doesn't work out. However, in the event that your agent did cut and run, you'd still have plenty of editors/imprints a new agent could pitch the story to :)

Thanks, Moon! I need to hear that right now. Good luck with your subs! :)

Thanks, Snappy!

So sorry to hear that, Tracy!

That's awesome, Peggy! I'm almost in Canada; maybe I'll try to tune in!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Calla, Fuschia!

Too late, Calla! We taped the interview weeks ago. All I can remember is blithering on at one point for several minutes before I realized that Shelagh had been cut off and that I was talking to myself :).

Status
Not open for further replies.