Middling It

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully, this is a prelude to Braggage... I received a note today letting me know that my current Shimmer submission was being passed along to the full editorial board. I don't know how often this happens, but it's the first time one of my stories has made it to that level there.

Congratulations! It means you've made it past slush (sort of the equivalent of making it to round 2 at DSF)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Michael! When Shimmer rejected my story after passing it up to "the full board," they had the nicest things to say about the story and my writing. It made me feel tingly even though they were honest and firm about why the ending didn't work for them. It's the first time thus far that I've tweaked a story based on an editor's feedback. They seem to be great people.

The fingers on my left hand are crossed for you. (Sorry, the other hand's fingers are reserved for my special cricket.)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Thanks, all! We'll see what happens. From the Duotrope reports, it looks like it should only be a few weeks until I hear something.

(And, O'Dandelo, I'll use my left hand's fingers to cross for your special cricket and others' special crickets.)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Michael!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So. Waiting on a response from Tin House. Anxious because a query ten days ago got a response of "With a reader, you should hear something in a couple of weeks." >_<

And, you know. The story at Tor.com is at 175 days. Only another hundred days or so before I can start worrying about it. :p

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Good luck at Tin House, Aggy! I think it's promising that they've held onto it for so long. Jeez, Tin House - you must be on pins and needles.

I got a personal rejection from F&SF yesterday, from Gordon Van Gelder. Wooo! The last couple stories I sent there got higher tier form rejections, so here's hoping for a sale soon! Trying to decide where to send it next...

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Aggy!

I've got my fingers crossed for you. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another submission just changed to "in progress." I keep checking my email. Fingers crossed.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Which market is it, gettingby? Because sometimes you'll be neurotically checking your email for a looong time. I've been "in progress" at a market for 27 days now. They'd had the story only 4 days when it went from "received" to "in progress." :/

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Good luck with Tin House, Aggie!

Got an email from DSF to let me know a story made it into the final yes/no pile. Most everything else has been out for a while. It's a little dull round here. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Which market is it, gettingby? Because sometimes you'll be neurotically checking your email for a looong time. I've been "in progress" at a market for 27 days now. They'd had the story only 4 days when it went from "received" to "in progress." :/

27 days! So they open the story, read it and decide to wait weeks before making a decision??? I don't get it. I guess it could make sense if it was being passed on to other readers or editors, but if it is a clear no, shouldn't it get a quicker response? Not that I want a quick no. I think the yes is worth waiting for. How does anyone avoid going crazy over this process? Good luck!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
27 days! So they open the story, read it and decide to wait weeks before making a decision??? I don't get it. I guess it could make sense if it was being passed on to other readers or editors, but if it is a clear no, shouldn't it get a quicker response? Not that I want a quick no. I think the yes is worth waiting for. How does anyone avoid going crazy over this process? Good luck!
More like they downloaded it into a "to be read" folder, probably for slush readers, or to keep tabs of what/when they received a batch of stories. That's my guess, anyway.

And I have a story "in-progress" at Vestal Review for 50 days now.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Gettingby - yeah, the way the system I slushed for was like what defcon says. When it was assigned a slush reader, it would change to in-progress even if still in slush. Then we'd get to it when we got to it, which could take a while.

And Aggy - best with TinHouse! they're the dream. I tend to get close to 200 days each time, which sucks, but provides hope I guess.

I'm over 230 days now at a 30 day market, queried in Dec with no response, sigh. And also above the normal response time for another market. Gotta write more stuff to send out.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over 230 days now at a 30 day market, queried in Dec with no response, sigh. And also above the normal response time for another market. Gotta write more stuff to send out.

Same here, and if I remember correctly, we have that first market in common. I'm at 245 days and still listed as "received". I've considered querying, but having superstitious-writer-jinx-anxiety.

I only have one other thing out and that is slightly past average response, and trying not to get my hopes up there.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
we do have the same market in common! But mine has been marked 'closed' since day one, and when I queried back then they said to ignore it, it's in consideration. That was about 200 days ago.

I'm waiting until the last 200+ rejection is off the duotrope page before querying again.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting really sucks. One of my submissions is in the red on duotrope. But when I log onto the publications website the status is still received. I don't feel right contacting them about something they obviously have not read. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
One of my submissions is in the red on duotrope. But when I log onto the publications website the status is still received. I don't feel right contacting them about something they obviously have not read. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Yes - it happens all the time. I have one out at 250 days that has been in the red for over 100 of those days. How do I cope? Write and submit more stories.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
My submission to Penumbra's dream issue was bumped to the 2nd-round. Anyone else in the running for that issue?

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Now at 50 days in the queue for FFO. The 53-day form R just reported on Duotrope did nothing for my confidence...