Gardeners of AW, unite

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omg, I think I finally figured out why the peppers in my raised beds are doing so shitty. The broccolli, tomatoes, zucchinis, et al were all fine. The peppers got so tall and stopped. In the one raised bed, that had broc and peppers, I harvested the broccolli yesterday. Today I pull the roots up and there's two inches of moist dirt, and the rest is BONE DRY.

I swear I've watered well, though I noticed the broc bed had iisues absorbing and I'd have to keep going back to it. Well after I transplanted 8 peppers from 4" pots, I stuck a large yogurt container between plants and they were getting 6 inches if it killed me.

That took about half an hour. A hose is great for adding a few inches of water quick, but when you have a drought problem, combined with ineffective watering (which normally would have been FINE), you need a lot of H2O.

So now that I know peppers are a water indicator, I watered my other bed with peppers well. This bed, and it's peppers, hasnt been as bad, but the zucchini take up a lot of water.

Dire.

I hope someone learns from my mistake. I've lost months in pepper producion trying to figure this mystery out. Luckily I have my potted peppers too, all happy.

I'll be watering again Friday, for longer than I would think neccesary.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
After I had finished watering a couple of my beds tonight, I decided to get a start in weeding my one hosta bed. I had just finished watering it, took me about a half an hour, and as I dug out weeds I saw that my watering had did virtually nothing to moisten the soil! The mulch and the first maybe half inch of soil had moisture, but further down it was bone dry. So frustrating! It really needs to rain and stop going around us. The only thing that will get any moisture in the ground is a nice soaking rain. The only bright side to this drought--no mosquitoes!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same :) I still need to water a bit this morning...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Three days of rain in a row is nice, except my peach tree started to tip over! o_O I propped it up but I'm not sure the prop will stay in place if we get another big thunderstorm, and the peaches are still hard as rocks so I'll lose the whole crop if I take them off so the tree isn't weighed down with them.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
And when we get rain (which has been about every four days if not more often) it's a horrible wind-driven soaking rain. All of our plants have survived, though, and with staking and wire cages for the tomato plants. So far we've plucked five mild jalepenos, and about ten cherry tomatoes. The Big Boy tomatoes are growing well but still green. The peppers are still not ripening to red before we find them on the ground. Could be because of the strange weather. But they still taste wonderful.

I am horrible with the camera (even with a simple point-and-shoot digital!) and tried to take photos for here.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i've lost the maple tree that i planted this spring. i soaked it every day but the leaves are like corn flakes thanks to the dry, blistering wind. --s6

I planted several nut and cherry trees, a couple paw paw trees, and a few berry bushes. Even with mulching and heavy watering I've lost over half of everything. It's a bit disappointing but I guess I'll just try again next year.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie, get those pics up. And google photo skillz :)

I need to plant a few summer plants in my empty spots, but I'm so busy and going away soon. I do plan to harvest a celeriac today. My first evar.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yay for the celeriac. I've never grown that. I'm getting the garden ready for late summer/fall cover cropping with buckwheat and the annual variety of crimson clover.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bees will love you :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats :) How were they?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Everywhere around my house got a decent rain or some good rain. Not my house. Not enough to wet the ground through the tree canopy. I think there must be some invisible force field that keeps the rain clouds from going over my house.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I saw on the news last night all the damage from the winds and flood that a thunderstorm caused yesterday. Yeah, in my area the water didn't make it an inch into the soil :(

My little area is having thunderstorms without rain, basically. It's very strange. They last a while, too!

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I got myself a little plot in the community garden down the street from my house. Haven't gardened in years. So this is a nice step back into gardening. Planted tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers. Got a lot of cucumbers until I killed them last week. I ended up not watering them enough during the hot, dry weather last week. Tomatoes are doing well, although I didn't use the right sort of trellis for them. Bamboo stakes just don't do it.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a dwarf fig in a container. It's fruit are finally ripening. That poor tree has taken a beating since I moved it out this year.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Here are pics of this years recycle bin garden.

Sorry if they're too big. They're at photo bucket and I'm not sure how to get them smaller.:)

Anyway the nice thing is it's portable. Today I moved my broccoli bins as it's been so hot they have no heads. I moved them more into the shade or at least where they get less sun.

DSCF2180.jpg

DSCF2179.jpg

eeplants

Registered
Reaction score
I have a small garden on my backyard and every summer, I used to plant tomatoes and as for the flower, I have sunflower in mind.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
History, once again I love your garden.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Thank you, Fenika. :)

We've had rain here and there but it's the blazing heat during the day that is getting mine. I'm moving plants around again. The cucumbers are going to the side yard. Now I have so many flowers and cukes, they wilt quick even after a rain. I unhook my gutter spout so the rain goes directly into one of those huge black garbage cans (think their industrial).

So Fenika, when you said you put a container between your pepper plants what is it for? Is there holes in the sides and you fill it with water?

Last year I didn't plant much with the new grandbaby here. All I added this year was some 6 year old horse manure to the above ground veggie plants. I definately need to add more Vermiculite to help hold the water in the soil and so the dirt doesn't pack so much.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When was I talking about the container?? Lol. Was it with the toads? I've been lying yogurt containers and such on their sides with water to give the toads and whatnot a drink. I should just cut some bottoms off to make dishes...

And I wonder if some of that wilt is because roots are coming out the bottom? I noticed the same in my 4" transplants on hot days... I did a mix of more shade and a 'self watering' bottom until I could transplant.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
got my water bill yesterday--the worst ever. i'll get rid of cable before i let my garden die. i'd rather spend my evenings sitting out, enjoying the moon and my flowers than watch dance moms or swamp people!--s6

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I'm with you Shakey! Summer is too short, I'd rather be outside like now. And I really am cutting cable back. I don't need 20 versions of every channel and no one can tell the difference in the HD or not HD.

Humm.... observation... too many skeeters out tonight.