Would I Query a 100 word PB as I would a novel?

heptarahep

Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the title.
Would I write a paragraph summary for a story as short as this? I have a few short stories to submit as potential picture books; so, I'm wondering if I should sum them all up and put them on a page in a list format or do individual submissions... What do you say?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the title.
Would I write a paragraph summary for a story as short as this? I have a few short stories to submit as potential picture books; so, I'm wondering if I should sum them all up and put them on a page in a list format or do individual submissions... What do you say?

ETA: Yes, as others pointed out, follow the agent's/publisher's submission guidelines. Always.

You query one picture book at a time, regardless of length. But, if the whole book is only 100 words, I would suggest a very short query with maybe a one-two sentence pitch, and then paste the whole PB text below your signature.

good luck.

~suki

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sending this to an agent or to publishers?

Picture books are one of those things that many publishers will accept from the writer, rather than only accepting submissions from an agent. When sending a PB to a publisher you send the story itself along with a cover letter. Most publishers have a website with their guidelines.

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, do your research. Find out which publishers (or agents, though many writers choose to submit PBs directly to publishers) accept unsolicited picture book submissions. Then, find out which publishers (or agents) are interested in picture books like yours. Then read their guidelines.

Most are going to want the full manuscript submitted for a picture book, accompanied by a cover letter. However, you should never assume this is the proper method for submitting -- always always always read the guidelines.

Good luck.

:)Smish

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Obviously, follow the guidelines. That said, I really don't mind receiving multiple picture book submissions under one cover letter, although the rule seems to be that quality is inversely proportional to the number of stories included. What actually does tick me off is when I get queried, without the manuscript, for a picture book, and then I have to reply to say go ahead, send it in. The author could probably have printed the full text on the back of the query letter and saved me a stamp.