Not open for further replies.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
(I'm not sure where to post about this on AbWrite. It could go into one of the writing subforums, but I'm going to hedge my bets and put it in Games.)

Have you all heard about TwitchPlaysPokemon?

There's a site called twitch.tv, where people show videos of other people playing video games. Often it's used for competitive games like Starcraft or LoL, so that fans can watch famous teams playing for prizes. Well, someone put a game of Pokemon Red in the video and hooked up the chat inputs so that anyone could type commands and control the game.

It went nuts.

At its peak, there were 180,000 players simultaneously trying to control Red, the protagonist. The game created an insane amount of lore and artwork. Because of events in the game the 'Helix Fossil' was worshipped as a god by the players, and a plotline arose where Red -- touched by the god and hearing the players as voices in his head -- was becoming pokemon master to lift up a new set of gods in the game world. The team ended with every pokemon having their own mythical identity -- 'Helix' (Omastar), the God; 'Bird Jesus' (Pidgeotto), the messiah; Zapdos, the Angel; 'Fonz' (Nidoran) the King; Air Jordan (Lapras) the Prince; and All-Terrain Venomoth, the Dragonslayer.

When Pokemon Red ended, the mysterious person responsible for it put the next game up, and he's continued to do it with every game version. Each game has not only constructed its own narrative, but they are coming together like a common series:

In Pokemon Red, the gods saved the world.
In Pokemon Crystal, the gods were torn down by Lazorgator, the Godslayer. The motto of this run was, 'No Gods, no Kings; only Mon'.
In Pokemon Emerald, the players controlled an anarchist who brought evil back to the world.
In Pokemon FireRed, the protagonist wrestled over how to save the world -- Democracy, Anarchy, or Communism.
Pokemon Platinum was a little different and much more intimate. Instead of a grand quest, the protagonist 'Napoleon' was a stuffed shirt unable to do anything because of his hangups and fears. The story of Platinum was how Napoleon's pokemon taught him to loosen up and have fun.
And now we're in Pokemon HeartGold, in which a werewolf girl has summoned forth the gods to bring them back to the world.

Six stories, all with deep casts of characters, fan artworks, and near novel-length plotlines and complexities.

And all this has taken place in the past four months.

The participation has waned so that there are only one or two thousand people involved at any time. But they're still generating their own folklore at an incredible rate. I'm not sure what to make of this except as an experiment in accelerated community-created storytelling. It might end soon. The next game will be the last pokemon game released; nobody's sure if they're going to go back and replay older games after that. I thought AbWrite might find it interesting before it disappeared.

If you're interested, the subReddit is probably the best place to start. Check out the 'Useful Links' sidebar for links to the stream (where you can play or watch), the FAQs, the wiki that stores everything, and so on.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. My mind works in mysterious ways.

twitch-plays-pokemon.jpg

I want to beeeeeeee the very best, like no one ever wasssssssss.

We all know the legend.

Of the child named Red from Pallet Town who left home on a Pokémon journey, to learn about them, to love them, and, most of all, to catch them all, to train them, to beat the 8 gym leaders in Kanto, to defeat the Elite Four, to surpass his rival Blue, to become the Pokémon champion.

We've been that child.

And now the internet can too!

Twitch Plays Pokémon is described as “a social experiment” by its creator, who is streaming an emulated version of Pokémon Red to Twitch.tv. Viewers type commands into the Twitch chat stream, and an IRC bot translates those commands into input the game can understand. Typing “up,” “down,” “left,” “right,” “a,” “b,” or “start” will lead to an onscreen action after 20 to 40 seconds, depending on how far your video lags behind the chat window. ...with up to tens of thousands of people feeding commands into the game at any time, the results are a bit... chaotic.
Why are these communal watch-and-play experiences so appealing to so many? Maybe it's the fleeting, collective joy from the spectators in chat when Red finally budges forward after hours of running headlong into walls. Maybe it was the bone-deep sadness we all felt when, four days and nine hours in, Twitch released its starter Pokémon—a level 34 Charmeleon, nickname ABBBBBBK(—into the wild, never to be seen again. Or maybe it's just the amusement of leaving the computer for five hours and coming back only to see that Twitch is stuck in the exact same spot in the exact same room, content to save its non-progress in an unending loop.

But it's also more than that.

In the first few days, when only 20,000 or so players were entering commands for Red, the internet successfully caught and trained a team of Pokémon and defeated the first four gym leaders in the first four days.

But as the experiment's popularity grew, and the population of the chat increased to over 50,000 players on the fifth day, the chaos grew to be too much. As the internet struggled to achieve an impossible cooperation against time lag and trolls, Red wandered endlessly in the walls of Team Rocket's hideout.

But the experiment evolved!

A new mode was introduced, and it was called Democracy. Under Democracy, players' commands would be queued before executing them, allowing players a kind of vote, and the most popular commands would determine Red's actions. And the old mode, where all commands are immediately passed to Red, was henceforth called Anarchy.

A new mechanic also allows players to choose Democracy or Anarchy.

If enough players vote for one or the other, the game's mode will switch.

Under Democracy, the internet successfully navigated Red through Team Rocket's hideout, to battle Boss Giovanni at the end. But the battle was moving too slowly, and the internet grew bored, voted for Anarchy, and got lost in the hideout again. Will he wander in the maze forever, or will the internet choose to bring Democracy back to Kanto, securing the possibility of progress at the expense of the excitements and freedoms of Anarchy?

Where will Red be tomorrow? Will he ever become Pokémon champion? Will he ever surpass his rival Blue? Will he ever be reunited with his beloved Charmeleon ABBBBBBK(? Can the internet catch 'em all?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/the-bizarre-mind-numbing-mesmerizing-beauty-of-twitch-plays-pokemon/

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285652

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Sorry, it's all X and Y these days, but all of the kids play old school games and a lot of them like Emerald.
Flashfire is out, and the next is eagerly awaited.

Word on the street is about Pokemon Z.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered what all that was about, having seen it, contextless, on unrelated websites. Huh.

We should do an 'AW writes novels' thing, where all 10,000 users of this site try and complete a novel through consensus.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I have 3 novels, but there is a time and place for Pokemon as well. Sometimes, I also work or go to the bathroom.

I think he meant a community novel, based on the same idea.

Every user enters words into a chat, and the majority vote becomes the next word in the novel.

Kinda cool

But still less fun than Pokémon.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Every user enters words into a chat, and the majority vote becomes the next word in the novel.

Kinda cool

I was thinking the most insane madlib story ever . . .

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Kinda cool

Yeah this.

If it wasn't for my total lack of programming skills, I'd be tempted to set it up. You'd need some sort of filter to end up with remotely grammatical sentences, but otherwise it'd be a free-for-all on word choice.

Knowing The Internet, though, the output would be 97% fuck-variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.