is it okay for an author to ask you to delete your book review from amazon and goodreads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Throw some hints around by saying in your blog that you consulted with your attorney on the matter. Then mention that he also told you that he's always available if needed.
No. No. No no nononononononono and no. Do NOT pretend to threaten legal action. This is an area where you do NOT want to pretend. He could call the bluff and lawyer-up on his own. Legal threats should never be made unless you got the chops to back them up.

Ergodic Mage

Neophyte Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with BanPaced and would suggest not blogging about him or escalating in any manner. Those types of reactions could rebound and you end up looking bad to your readers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't hint at legal action, but I would consider blogging about him. It might well kick up a bit of a bicker on your blog, but it could clear the air a bit and you can moderate the comments to ensure nothing gets too out of hand.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Tell him he's an idiot who was stupid enough to put in writing that he would love to review your book - clearly a threat to tarnish your reputation. Also warn him that if he continues to email you about this that he could get in trouble for harassment and possibly even stalking. He needs to let this drop. Now.

You've done nothing wrong. You are entitled to your opinion and if he cannot handle that he needs to get out of this business.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the author wants a marketer or a publicist, then s/he needs to hire a marketer or a publicist. A reviewer is not a marketer or a publicist.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
You are absolutely in the right, he is absolutely in the wrong. Do whatever you feel comfortable with in terms of response - (I would love to see the guy receive the public humiliation he undoubtedly deserves for being such a - Seun, thank you for this gloriously disgusting phrase - knob cheese), but be aware that if you do respond publicly, he might choose to escalate, and become even more of a pain. So it really does depend whether you want to deal with that if it happens.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a fruitcake.

I would hate to see any brief addendum to any review I were to receive, perhaps mentioning I had, for my own reasons, repeatedly requested the review be withdrawn.

Last edited:

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
This is one of the biggest and most obvious problems with asking for reviews. One has to be able to deal with the consequences of what people actually think.

Any author can be bummed about a review's contents, but asking for a review does not guarantee anything more than an honest review. Yes, that's scary. Yes, it means we're going to hear stuff we don't like about our work. And that's hard. But them's the breaks, man. That's what being in this business means.

Even more ridiculous is that you said he's "trying to convince me I read the story wrong." Couldn't believe that when I read it. Actually, I guess I could believe it, but it just frustrated the crap out of me. Not only has this person taken up your time to read his book and write a thoughtful review, but he thinks it's acceptable to try to completely manipulate what you have to say?

Even if you were so generous as to be willing to set aside your time and effort and take the review down just to be nice to him, I think someone that prone to trying to control everything that's said about his book is due for an awakening. If for no other reason than that I'd leave the review intact.

Yeesh, got more worked up about this than I'd expected. haha. But stuff like this really bugs me.

JoeSmith

Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree with what everybody else has said. He asked for a review and you gave him one. If he wanted advertising copy he should have asked for it. It is quite arrogant to assume any review you receive will be five stars.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
It was a good review! It pointed out a couple of problems (really, a two identical chapters?) but if it was the kind of thing I read (Desperate Housewives scandals and skullduggery) it sounds like just the sort of thing I'd be looking for.
Man has nothing to complain about. And, he asked for the review, so, again, he has nothing to complain about.

Yes, Chapter 1 and Chapter 18 were repeated word for word. In his email, he stated he did it on purpose because his story was written as though it was a movie. He said other people had pointed that out to him, but he felt that's how his story should go.

The thing he was most offended, confused by was my comment about a section being written from a dog's perspective. He told me to show proof because he didn't do that. So, I went through his novel again (good thing when I review I keep my notes) and pinpointed the exact two phrases, even gave the percentage from the bottom of my Kindle. I just answered his question and never replied to him saying he can't wait to review one of my books.

I hoped that would be the end of it. Fortunately, I checked my email this morning and nothing from him. Maybe he got the hint without me having to respond.

Thanks to the ones who found my review helpful on amazon, and who liked my review on goodreads. I'm assuming that came from you guys :) I noticed there's one or two additional 5 star reviews for his book; that's probably why he wants my 3 star removed. Oh well.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Yes, Chapter 1 and Chapter 18 were repeated word for word. In his email, he stated he did it on purpose because his story was written as though it was a movie. He said other people had pointed that out to him, but he felt that's how his story should go.

That's an idiotic choice on his part. There are lots of good ways you can achieve the same effect without literally repeating an entire chapter. Ah well; put it behind you and move on, I'd say.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wow. Sorry you were treated this way. It's pretty reprehensible. Shame on that author! Don't change a word, and certainly don't delete your review on different sites.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written a review in decades. Haven't read one, either, but that's another story.

I do have a couple of friends who write reviews, and maybe because they fear what happened to you, they don't do requests from individuals. They only review books they read and like, even when the books are sent by a publisher.

Despite a long held vow, I am going to do a review soon, and of a self-published collection of short stories. The writer didn't request it. I found the book by sheer chance, loved the title, read the book, and it's some of the best, and most imaginative, writing I've ever read. I doubt the writer will have anything to complain about.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Thanks to the ones who found my review helpful on amazon, and who liked my review on goodreads. I'm assuming that came from you guys :) I noticed there's one or two additional 5 star reviews for his book; that's probably why he wants my 3 star removed. Oh well.

Supposition, but it looks to me more like he asked his goodreads author friends to post quid pro quo reviews to dampen the impact of your review. The reviewer is on his friends list. The review appeared one day after yours. The author went over and rated one of the reviewers books 5 stars on the the same day.

(PS. As many have said, you have done nothing wrong and this author is behaving unprofessionally.)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

The thing he was most offended, confused by was my comment about a section being written from a dog's perspective. He told me to show proof because he didn't do that. So, I went through his novel again (good thing when I review I keep my notes) and pinpointed the exact two phrases, even gave the percentage from the bottom of my Kindle. I just answered his question and never replied to him saying he can't wait to review one of my books.

I hoped that would be the end of it. Fortunately, I checked my email this morning and nothing from him. Maybe he got the hint without me having to respond.

Hopefully he'll move on to another target and leave you alone now.

*chuckles* same chapter twice... silly boy!

:D

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I read through the review and I would be satisfied with what you wrote. Shoot, it was constructive! That makes it better than good, it makes it useful.

Plus, on curiosity, I found the book on Librarything. Looks like the author included it in the Early Reviewer program. No one has offered an opinion yet. Can't wait to see the reviews there when they start populating... Especailly since, the administration won't remove reviews "just because an author asks."

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say, Agatha, thank you for taking your time to post reviews that are honest and useful for all of the readers out there. Your efforts are appreciated, as are your ethics on the matter.

No need to further skewer the author. My sword will only find the holes of disgust from the thrusts of y'all upstream.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I do have a couple of friends who write reviews, and maybe because they fear what happened to you, they don't do requests from individuals. They only review books they read and like, even when the books are sent by a publisher.

I review books on my own too. It's part of my reading challenge on my blog. I've found a lot of interesting books that I bought after seeing sigs here on AW and looking at book descriptions on blogs.

Once again, thanks everyone for the support.

J. Tanner, I figured that's what he did. If he manages to get sympathetic sales from this, then they'll eventually see the truth.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In my opinion, this just proves this author cannot handle constructive criticism, and if that's the case, maybe he or she shouldn't be publishing anything. When you do professional work like that, writing, singing, etc, and you put out a book, an album, etc, you have to be accepting to all kinds of criticism, even look back and learn from it. That's how you become a better artist/writer. This author is not gonna make it.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little late, but I agree, the review is actually quite nice. You're not blasting it as an overall failure, you just point out some concerns and explain that if someone can get past these that it's worth a try. Stick to your guns!!!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score

Sounds like laziness on his part. Glad you stood your ground x Wish you well.

That person who left a review on his goodreads book giving it 5*s is his friend irl by the way judging from his books facebook page.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know, I thought it was over but I just received another email today (reminding me that he told me to take the review down last week and I need to respond). I ignored the email, and I wasn't going to blog about it, but if I'm going to be annoyed, I might as well let others hear about it. That way if he contacts any other book reviewers, they may get a heads up. http://yawattahosby.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/authors-exhibiting-unprofessional-behavior-tsk-tsk-tsk

Status
Not open for further replies.