Rejectomancy

caliph

Registered
Reaction score
Damn! UFO (Shvartsman!) just sent me R for story after 2nd round of consideration. Was so excited, but maybe it'll work somewhere else.

This humor thing is quite difficult.

Last edited:

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
And the crickets are killed by Untied Shoelaces.

Anyone know any markets that would be receptive to a zombie flash reprint? Zombies seem to be a hard sell these days.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Wait, what? My slushies are definitely faster than Apex's (and possibly faster than Nightmare's) ;)
Heh, I'd say you're tied. Received 1-day R's both of ya today.

And the crickets are killed by Untied Shoelaces.

Anyone know any markets that would be receptive to a zombie flash reprint? Zombies seem to be a hard sell these days.
Sorry, can't think of anything off the top of my head other than podcast markets. Have you tried Pseudopod?

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what? My slushies are definitely faster than Apex's (and possibly faster than Nightmare's) ;)

Oh, I didn't mean your UFO slushies! I was referring to you in your writer hat, not your editor hat. The R, from Apex, with the misspelled name, that didn't come from Lynne. It's that slushie I'm hoping I didn't get!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Oh, I didn't mean your UFO slushies! I was referring to you in your writer hat, not your editor hat. The R, from Apex, with the misspelled name, that didn't come from Lynne. It's that slushie I'm hoping I didn't get!

I've been thinking about Alex's r from Apex recently. I have a story that's been at Apex for 42 days, and whenever I start getting antsy I just remind myself that I might just end up with a form R addressed to 'Ms. Feye.'

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ah! Sorry, I completely misunderstood. So long as the honor of the UFO slushies is upheld, I'm happy. I'm thrilled (and somewhat amazed) that we've been able to respond to ALL round 1 submissions so far within 48 hours (and almost all within under 24), despite a relatively hefty volume.

Oh and with Sai's luck her response might be to Mr. Faye :) In all seriousness though, I hope it gets bumped up to Lynne (who can spell) instead.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*le sigh* 77-day R from Penumbra for Native American issue. Thought this one had a real chance.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
*le sigh* 77-day R from Penumbra for Native American issue. Thought this one had a real chance.

Bummer. That's about the same time frame as the acceptances, so it must have been a close thing.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
akaSylvia - I've got a story in their queue, too. Looks like they are going through in order of receipt, judging by the timing of the responses. Sorry to hear you received an R.

And defcon, I'm sorry to hear about the Penumbra R. It does sound like you almost made it.

J.W.Alden - I know what you mean about zombies. There is an entire sub-genre out there devoted to writing them, I think because they are fun to write about. Which I guess is why they are often a hard sell. (I'm sure I'll write another zombie story anyway.)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Oh and with Sai's luck her response might be to Mr. Faye :) In all seriousness though, I hope it gets bumped up to Lynne (who can spell) instead.

Ha! Nothing yet so far either way.

43 day form reject from Redstone.

I received a 44 form from them last night. Rejection buddies!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
J.W.Alden - I know what you mean about zombies. There is an entire sub-genre out there devoted to writing them, I think because they are fun to write about. Which I guess is why they are often a hard sell. (I'm sure I'll write another zombie story anyway.)

I'm getting a steady stream of Zombie stories in UFO slush. Most of them read like the characters have already consumed the writers' brains.

There are some good ones however. There are three -- count em, three -- zombie-related stories in round 3. And one story that briefly mentions a zombear that I already bought. I mean, how could I not buy a story with a zombear in it??

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
There are some good ones however. There are three -- count em, three -- zombie-related stories in round 3. And one story that briefly mentions a zombear that I already bought. I mean, how could I not buy a story with a zombear in it??
Is that going to affect which stories are ultimately accepted? Assuming you don't want to load up the antho with a bunch of zombie tales.

Darkwing

21-day form R from Daily Science Fiction. Teaches me to get all excited about being a few days over the average rejection time. :p

At least the crickets are still going strong on my other two subs.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
44 day rejection from Redstone. A form, but signed by Michael Ray. (Never subbed there before so I don't know if it makes a difference. It probably doesn't.)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
30-personal from Shimmer. It was a short but helpful rejection; it's already given me an idea about how to re-write it, and I'm not usually one to re-write based on a rejection.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
44 day rejection from Redstone. A form, but signed by Michael Ray. (Never subbed there before so I don't know if it makes a difference. It probably doesn't.)
Yeah, no good. I got the same thing at 43 days--a form. At least, I'm led to believe it's a form based on my previous sub, which got a personal.

Last edited:

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Glad to see I'm in good company with Sai and Aggy! Fingers crossed for you fihr!

And my crickets seem to be coming home to roost. 107 day form rejection from Writers of the Future.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all the rejections. Some of these publications are tough to crack.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Marzioli - it seems a great number of people received the form reject today. I also received a personal from them in the past. I don't think it is meaningful that this set of rejections didn't include personals compared to previous stories.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it is meaningful that this set of rejections didn't include personals compared to previous stories.
Perhaps not. Still, it feels like they obviously thought my newest story wasn't as good as my last, if nothing else. :/

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that going to affect which stories are ultimately accepted? Assuming you don't want to load up the antho with a bunch of zombie tales.

It could have, but in this case the story is decidedly NOT a zombie story (even though it does have a cameo by the zombear) so other zombie submissions in round 3 (and there are THREE of them) are safe from the zombear, but not as safe from each other.

You have a solid advantage in that your zombie story is so short. We could take a longer zombie story AND yours, but will not likely take multiple longer zombie stories.