• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Which came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Moo

Registered
Reaction score
Your title or your story?

I was making the bed this morning and a terrific title popped into my mind after I did something silly......now all I need is the story to go with it!

So, which comes first for you......the title or the story?

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the story, at least with my current WIP. In fact, calling it 'Untitled' for the first 15k nearly drove me INSANE.

But, like you noted, the perfect title came to me at the most random moment, so we be 'untitled' no more :)

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the story.

I'm well over 30K words in my WIP with no inkling of a title. It's not the first MS I've worked on like that, and it won't be the last. I'm terrible at coming up with titles. Heck, I struggle enough with character names!

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely story. I suck at titles. Usually for most of my first drafts it's just called the MC's name.

Miss Moo

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting to see so many who have the story first. Now I have this title stuck in my head but I have no idea how to write the story to go with it! I guess now I have something new to work on, or at least, to try to work on.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

I was making the bed this morning and a terrific title popped into my mind after I did something silly......now all I need is the story to go with it!

Me, too. About six months ago, the perfect title, but alas, no story to go with it. I'm still searching, though.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
I generally have at least a pretty solid premise for a story before I have the title. The title usually comes before I do any planning or outlining for the story, and I pick something that will help define what I want the story to be about. However, I don't limit myself to that; it's subject to change as the project evolves.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Story, most of the time. My WIP's title changes almost every time I open the file. When it's done, I might hold a name-that-novel contest.

But now and then, a title will pop into my head, and then life is easy, because the titles that come unbidden bring stories with them. ... Of course, eventually, most of those turn into artworks instead of books... hrm... might have to work on that.

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in fifth grade and just started writing, it was always the title. I'd think of something that I thought sounded completely awesome and say "man, I can't wait to write that!" even if there was no story to go with it.

Now, I can't think of titles for the life of me. Both my trunked novel and my WIP had the story come first, and I never finished one I just thought of the title for, proving that I need more than a title to make a story. ;)

niknicnac

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the story comes first, and sometimes the title comes first. If the story comes first then I wait until the story is complete and try to give it a title that tells the reader an idea about what the story is about. If the title comes first, then ideas usually follow (of course sometimes the title still ends up changing before the story's complete.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
About a third of the time, the title comes to me either before the story or at essentially the same time—right along with the premise anyway. About a third of the time, the title comes fairly easily well before the novel is finished. And that last third, ugh. I go through title after title and nothing seems right.

I also have a list of titles in my idea files, that have no stories to go with them yet.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
It depends for me. Most of the time I just pick a key phrase and wait for the title until I get far enough into the book to where I can come up with an appropriate title.

Lainey

Registered
Reaction score
The story almost always comes first for me - I'm terrible at titles. :p

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Nine times out of ten, it's story first for me. The title comes when the story develops.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I usually struggle with titles, so the story usually comes first, and, for me at least, the title will come to me as a work on it. Usually it comes from the text itself - a word of phrase that is used that just sums up what it's all about.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Story, and then I find a good title after suitably developing plot, sub-plot and character.

kelzey2

Still waiting . . .
Registered
Reaction score

So, which comes first for you......the title or the story?

Usually the story, but this has happened to before too. Luckily, I had a very vague, extremely short outline of another story lying around which I managed to alter to fit the title.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Story.

I have four novels in various stages of completion. Only one of them has a title, and I'm not even happy with that.

I have a much easier time naming short stories, but the story still comes before the title.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A catchy title may be the nucleating agent for a story, but by the time one finishes a novel-length project, that original title may not hold up. It has still served its purpose by getting the story going, though. Publishing companies can suggest title changes, and I seem to remember some wording to that effect in a contract some time ago.

For me, it's story first, and the title emerges from that story. If a title comes early on, it is considered a working title until the story is complete.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
It's always the story first for me. For my current novel, I referred to it as "Emily's story" until it was finished. Then I came up with a title, which I have since changed. Now that I'm almost done editing, the title may change again.

Status
Not open for further replies.