Canajan, eh?

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Just found this thread. Helloooo!!

I say 'eh'. I forget I'm doing it. I was born in BC then moved to Ontario and I'm now in Quebec. Not a hope in hell of getting employment because I don't speak French. c'est la vie.

Harper...the nightmare has just begun.

But the Canucks! Yes! The Canucks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Take off eh? There's like a Canada thread where the hosers hang out?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Smart Aleck. :p

I don't know that I've been to Ocean Falls (although it's possible), but I have been in the neighborhood/north and east of the neighborhood - Bella Coola, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Smithers. It was a long, long, long, long time ago. :)
Hey, points for knowing the neighbourhood! If you took the ferry up the coast it used to regularly stop there, so you may have been, and just not noticed it in the rain!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'm not sure I ever took the ferry up the coast. When I was in the area, I was young - like, 4-9 years old. I know I've taken ferries as a kid, but I don't think I took a long one like that one would have been. As an adult, I seriously contemplated driving up to Prince Rupert and taking the ferry down just for the scenery and the experience. I'm kind of kicking myself now that I didn't.

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from NS, did a stint in BC for a few years, came back to NS and will be heading out to Sask in a year or so. My fiance is from BC.

And I gotta ask, am I the only one that puts "the" before stores? Like, instead of Walmart, it's The Walmart, instead of Superstore it's The Superstore?

Maybe it's an NS thing...

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm from NS, did a stint in BC for a few years, came back to NS and will be heading out to Sask in a year or so. My fiance is from BC.

And I gotta ask, am I the only one that puts "the" before stores? Like, instead of Walmart, it's The Walmart, instead of Superstore it's The Superstore?

Like, "I'm going to the Walmart."

I don't say that. I just say, "I'm going to Walmart"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a NS thing - you east coasters are weird ;P

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it occasionally. I wonder if it might be a small-town versus city thing rather than East-West. When I have heard it, it's been people hailing from a small town or hamlet where there's likely only one or two stores in the town center.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree (being Kanadian it's the thing to do)

Around here if you said "I'm going to the Walmart" you just get a confused look and

"Which one?"

Anacry

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am from a small town, so that could make sense. Tim Hortons isnt "the Tim hortons", its "The Tims in the mall" "the downtown Tims" and "the Tims and Wendys"

Cause they're three of them.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we've got a dozen or so Walmarts in the city (Calgary). Couldn't tell you how many Timmies there are; one every few blocks or so. (And all of them lined-up at all hours.)

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
All Vancouver hockey fans should be embarrassed for the few idiots that caused so much stupidity last night.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I live in a smallish city, we have two (Northa and South) Walmarts...

But you know, I think we have well over a dozen Tim Hortons..

And God, I've never been prouder to admit I AM NOT a Canucks fan!!!! Calgary Flames all the way!

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score

Holy crap on a cracker! I do that! No one's ever identified for me before. I'm from BC....hmmm....

Terrible, sad, depressing post-hockey shite in Vancouver. Not indicative of the city or Canucks fans. Assholes will be assholes. Just piss poor and sad business.

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Holy crap on a cracker! I do that! No one's ever identified for me before. I'm from BC....hmmm....

Terrible, sad, depressing post-hockey shite in Vancouver. Not indicative of the city or Canucks fans. Assholes will be assholes. Just piss poor and sad business.

I sure don't add "the" in front of things, maybe us Albertan's think it sounds silly ;)

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay you know what... I have to be honest. No body in Alberta says Medicine Hat... We actually just say The Hat... So damn. I was wrong. We do add "The" to somethings :(

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, and when I lived in Toronto, a young actress told me her idea of the best vacation was to go home to The Peg.

It's a Canadian thing. Suck it up, Alberta.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The Van (Vancouver)
The Knife (Yellowknife)
The Berry (Saskatoon)
The Queen (Regina)
The Fax (Halifax)
The Rock (Newfoundland)
The Mack (Fort McMurray)
The Duck (Leduc, AB)
The Grove (Spruce Grove, AB)
The Centre of the Universe (Toronto)
The Cockring (Prince Albert)

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, and when I lived in Toronto, a young actress told me her idea of the best vacation was to go home to The Peg.

It's a Canadian thing. Suck it up, Alberta.

Tais toi. :e2tongue:

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Van (Vancouver)
The Knife (Yellowknife)
The Berry (Saskatoon)
The Queen (Regina)
The Fax (Halifax)
The Rock (Newfoundland)
The Mack (Fort McMurray)
The Duck (Leduc, AB)
The Grove (Spruce Grove, AB)
The Centre of the Universe (Toronto)
The Cockring (Prince Albert)

Okay I must lead a sheltered, sheltered life! I've never heard of, like, all of those...

We say Van, not The Van.
I usually never go to Saskatoon but go to Stoon.
My husband spends a great deal in Fort Mac, he's in the oil and gas industry after all.

I'll definitley have to think of more lol

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yep, I know Fort McMurray as Fort Mac. That goes back to the 70s when we lived there. And Vancouver is known as Hongcouver in some crowds, as Hollywood North in others, Lower Mainland in yet others. The Grove is, yep, The Grove. The rest I've never heard of. :)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I must lead a sheltered, sheltered life! I've never heard of, like, all of those...

We say Van, not The Van.
I usually never go to Saskatoon but go to Stoon.
My husband spends a great deal in Fort Mack, he's in the oil and gas industry after all.

I'll definitley have to think of more lol

The Berry is a stretch and is used very rarely. The Cockring is a jibe against an otherwise okay town. All the others are used on occasion, not all the time save for The Rock, which is usually the specific term for Newfoundland as the island.

Last edited:

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody got something special they're doing for Canada Day?

I'll be performing at Heritage Park for all the proto-Canadians waiting to be sworn in at noon. One of the few times the chorus gets to sing our Canadian Medley.

It's also my Dad's birthday. He claims that's why they have the celebrations and fireworks. And Heritage Park is one of his favourite places on earth, so it's good all around.