Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

Re: slush pile

That first picture looks like one I saw of the Tor offices. Guess where I'm planning to send my novel when it's ready.

Uncle Jim, perhaps a comment or two on foolish attempts to make manuscripts 'stand out' in the slush pile might be in order here. :)

PS - Every person who thinks they'd like to be a writer should read about Myrtle the Manuscript before making a final decision. Those who decide to go ahead are the serious ones.

Kate Nepveu

aside on newcomers

BTW, traditional publishing is very open to talented newcomers.
I got March's _Locus_ yesterday in the mail; my first subscription issue. After hanging out on this board, I was pleased to see that at least three of the sales listed in the "Data File" were specifically listed as written by new authors, and at least one of the listed books-turned-in was from a new author (it wasn't noted as such, I just happened to be aware of it). There were several other names I didn't recognize at all, who may have been newcomers also.

James D Macdonald

A Font

Dark Courier. A wonderful submission font. (Windows TrueType font.)

<a href="http://www.neosoft.com/~bmiller/courier.htm" target="_new">Dark Courier</a>.

Prometheus76

Empty nest

Jeremy walked into the house after a busy day at work. He looked around and thought, "I wonder where everyone is?" He walked slowly to the kitchen and remembered: they're gone.

The cat came downstairs and rubbed up against his leg, still sleepy from the afternoon nap. The orange light coming in the window caught Jeremy's eye. The sun had already slipped below the mountains to the west, but the warm light bouncing off the clouds reminded Jeremy of when he would rush for his camera to capture whatever he could during "golden hour."

He smiled a faint smile and turned to the pantry. He pulled out the gin and took the lemonade from the fridge. A great summertime relaxer. He poured his drink and walked into his den. He sat in a large recliner, eased it back, with his feet up, and drank half the glass of gin. He put the drink on the table next to him and closed his eyes.

He remembered how excited he was, the first time he met Uncle Jim. "Wow, you're a writer? I've always wanted to be a writer, but I'm a little scared."

"Don't be scared, Jeremy. Just put your butt in the chair, play chess with your characters and let your subconscious do the rest. Just be sure you use Courier when you send in your masterpiece."

Could it be that easy? His self-doubt and insecurity told him, "Sure. Try it. Finish a book. And feel like crap when it doesn't sell and you collect rejection slip after rejection slip." Uncle Jim's voice said, "So what if they reject it. Write another one."

So Jeremy wrote.

And he came back to visit Uncle Jim often. Every day he had new ideas, more books to read, new advice, more encouragement.

And Jeremy wrote.

And Jeremy met his other cousins, other writers, separated by circumstance, by time, by age and distance, but family. Family by common joy, common passion, common mistakes, and common tenacity.

The dog barked. Jeremy opened his eyes. He looked through the curtains and saw the paper boy delivering the paper. Late again. No tip this week, little buddy. He looked at the gin glass and saw the water beads on the side of the glass. One reached its critical mass and ran down the side, collecting into a little river of water flowing down the side of the glass and onto the table. He closed his eyes again.

The tone of the discussion with Uncle Jim and his cousins was grand and magnanimous. Little squabbles came up. Nothing big, but enough. Back-and-forth spats. Nattery stuff. Grammar rules and one-up-manship. And people withdrew. The tone changed. Caution set in.

New people came along. "I want to be a writer, too!" The regulars hardly looked up from their keyboards. A nod or a wink to the new person, and then back to typing.

Questions trickled in. "Do I really have to use Courier? And if so, why?" "How do I avoid the slush pile?" "What is a slush pile?" People answered in low tones. Small paragraphs. And Uncle Jim was busy.

Old photocopies of answers from the Old Days were handed to the new people as the roar of fingers slamming into keyboards grew so loud you could hardly think. And people started leaving.

First, one or two picked up their computers and left. We hardly noticed. Then more left. The sound of keyboards changed. It got quieter. People looked around at each other. Awkward smiles. Shrugs. "Where's Uncle Jim?" "I think he's got a deadline."

More people left.

And then there were two.

Jeremy heard the door close. He looked up from his novel. He looked around. He was the only one left. He wanted to call out, to say something. His mouth opened. He went back to typing.

After a couple of days, he realized they weren't coming back. They were gone. No more advice, no more encouragement. Just the blank page in front of him. The blinking cursor.

He opened his eyes. They were wet. He wiped them, got up from his chair and went to his desk. His computer was on, waiting. He clicked on the filename of his novel, took in a breath and pressed "Delete."

sfsassenach

regarding chess

Tio Jaime:

I get a bit stuck on the chess thing, since I've never been able to learn the game. Too right-brained. Advice?

James D Macdonald

Re: regarding chess

Can't do the chess thing, can't do the Celtic Knotwork thing?

("Right brain" is supposedly Random, Intuitive, Holistic, Synthesizing, Subjective, and Looks at wholes. I'm not sure I believe it.)

I have two other metaphors for writing a novel. Anon, anon.

Turned in a novel a week ago Monday, turned in a proposal to my agent this last Monday, and I'm trying to get a short story finished by Friday. It's been a bit intense.

sfsassenach

Re: Empty nest

I love Celtic knots [and all things Celtic] and kind of understand that, but chess is beyond me.

I'd love to hear your other theories, when you've the time.

James D Macdonald

Modelwork

This is part of the longer series on Metaphors for Plot.

<hR>

My father, W. Douglas Macdonald, was a chemical engineer and an electrical engineer. Most of his life he worked for building materials companies, including Glidden paint, US Plywood, and Eucatex. He died entirely too youg, 72, of congestive heart failure secondary to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; that is to say, smoking killed him. (Note to everyone: If you smoke, quit right now.) I miss him very much.

That was his professional life; his hobby was modelmaking, specifically ships and model railroads. He won contests in the 1920s for his model railroad cars. Back when I was young, he let me help him with his modelmaking (talk about your love: the help of six-year-olds can be a challenge). That was where I learned modelwork, which I still enjoy.

All the arts are related; modelwork and novel-writing. Both center on making a world in miniature, a false seeming that convinces the viewer/reader of its reality.

Herewith some lessons I took away, and use in my own works:

No matter how good your model is, it won't be perfect. No matter how much praise you get, no matter what awards you win, you'll never be able to look at that model and see anything but its imperfections.

No one counts the rivets on a moving car.

If you suggest detail, the viewer will add his own details.

The rivets on model cars are badly out of scale. To have visible rivets, they'd have to have heads the size of softballs.

Painted plastic, painted wood, and painted metal all look the same.

It isn't a model until you add people. Before that, it's a clever machine, perhaps, or a toy. Characters bring their own reality, and bring the person looking at the model into the story. Your models tell stories; if you have a car that's got mud on it, or rust, or scrapes and dents, it has a history. The viewer won't know what the dent came from, but he'll know that the car has been places, done things, and subconsciously won't think of it as something that just came from a modelmaker's workbench.

<hR>

Another thing: there were always hidden things, that only the modelmaker knew about. These made the model real to him, and if it was real to him, it would be real to the viewers. For example, once we made a model of the
submarine USS George Washington. This was a plastic model with a hinged side that could be opened to show the interior. One of the interior spaces had a door that led to the food storage reefer. My dad built and painted scale model hams, hung them in the walk-in refrigerator area, then continued with the model, sealing that area off where it would never be seen.

Sometimes the best model for a thing is the thing itself: nothing looks so much like a load of coal in a hopper car than crushed coal in a hopper car.

Don't put things square on bases; use diagonal lines. They suggest motion.

A frame makes the model seem more real than it otherwise would appear.

Let the paint dry before you touch it.

If you can't see the world you can't model it.

<hR>

I haven't built model railroads, though I love doing model ships and model houses.

Herewith are some exercises for y'all; not too expensive, and again (I promise!) will help your novel writing. (Or, anyway, it's helped mine.)

First off, get yourself a nice HO scale paper model house. Two I've done are <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486273113/ref=nosim/madhousemanor" target="_new">Cut and Assemble Victorian Cottage</a> and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486290824/ref=nosim/madhousemanor" target="_new">Cut and Assemble Victorian Shingle-Style House</a>. Of the two, the latter has the greater story possibilites.

Build one of the houses. In the building of it, add one interior room. (If you want, you can open doors and windows with your X-acto knife to give other people a chance to see it, or not.) Note: while the instructions don't say it, paint the insides of the chimneys black! If you leave them white, the illusion is broken. If you blacken them, the illusion is strengthened. Anything that
doesn't add to the illusion detracts from it.

Now place the model on a base. <A HREF="http://www.woodlandscenics.com/" target="_new"> Landscape it.</a> (Landscaping can cover a multitude of sins.) Spring, summer, autumn, winter scenes all have different feels.

<A HREF="http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/HO-Scale-Figures-
Preiser/HO_FIG_590_1.html" target=_new">Add people.</a> These tell your story. If you put in a group of folks having a garden party, it's a different story from the model that has a police car and an ambulance pulled up out front of the house, with detectives, dogs, uniformed police, and a stretcher with a sheeted form being wheeled out the front.

Don't skimp on the people. In my model of the shingle-side house, one figure (of several) cost more than the rest of the materials combined. I found it in a hobby shop, and knew that this was the figure I needed. The more realistic the little plastic people, the more real the entire model will appear.

That's it. Learn to see the world. Discover that tree trunks aren't brown; they're grey. See how the same basic, off the rack things, when arranged in various ways, with you choosing the arrangment, make different, unique, artistic stories. Discover that when you mix paint for your Pullman cars using paint chips taken from real Pullman cars, that they look too dark -- you have to lighten the paint to make it look right. Looking right is more important than being right.

The models don't look like much until you have them all put together, landscaped, populated, and framed. Then ... they're magic.

<hr>

Now an exercise for everyone: As you drive along, you'll meet cars coming the opposite direction. Look at the other drivers. You have from the moment they come into view until the car is abreast of you to give them names, and brief histories. In heavy traffic you'll be doing a lot of naming and history-provision. Make sure the names and histories fit their appearances.

Pthom

Re: Modelwork

Don't put things square on bases; use diagonal lines. They suggest motion.
Frank Lloyd Wright used this very technique in virtually all of his most successful works. Although the buildings were often rectilinear, the path one travels through the spaces is diagonal.

Another technique he employed often was to create a rather cramped entry into a space, so that when you arrived in it, you were stunned by the grandeur of volume.

And who said architecture or writing aren't art?

maestrowork

Re: Empty nest

I like the ideas of giving your characters full backgrounds, and not just personalities: experiences, relationships, etc. everything that made the person...

But here come the questions... how do you bring some of these experiences to the forefront (as related to your "current" story) without feeling like you're info dumping or "telling," but at the same time, make the readers aware of what happened. For example, if it's vital for the readers to know that the protag A and protag B had an exchange one year ago that is going to be relevant, how do you bring it up? A cheap way is for one or both characters to bring it up in dialogue, e.g. "Remember what happened last year?" But that feels cheap too, not to mention too much "telling." Sometimes the information is shared by the characters, so they don't necessarily need to "share it" again, but the readers don't know and they need to know. Of course, we can always bring that up in the narrative, but still, you risk "telling" too much.

I think that becomes a necessary and important skills of a storyteller. How to bring out relevant information of the characters without being intrusive.

MacAl Stone

writing time

Arrggh! Just a day or so ago, I would've sworn I was one of those "not a morning person" writers. But last night, I put in three hours of BIC, with precious little to show for it--about a page and a half, in fact.

Then I woke up at a little after four, with the story shouting at me, telling me where it was supposed to go.

Now it's a little after 7, here, and I have to leave off and go to work, but the last couple of hours were intensely productive.

I live alone, so a quiet house and time to write aren't problems for me, like some of you with families and friends:\ --But there was something about beginning in the darkness, when it was neither morning, nor still night, that seemed to make my own suspension of disbelief much stronger.

The link into the world I am writing--usually tenuous until I am well settled and pounding along on the keyboard for a while--seemed clear, and already established, before I even opened the file. If fact, it seemed almost as if I could step off my front porch into one of the pages.

I'm going to have to set my alarm for 4. :x

Anyone else have this experience with it? Or is writing so much just making me lonelier and weirder?

Mac

evanaharris

that's the trick

>>>But here come the questions... how do you bring some of these experiences to the forefront (as related to your "current" story) without feeling like you're info dumping or "telling," but at the same time, make the readers aware of what happened.<<<

see, that's just it, the point is NOT to have all this information about your characters and to tell it all to your readers. the point is to have a character you can walk around.

If it is VITAL to the story, you will have it at your disposal, to include in the story as necessary. the story will ask for it, and you will have it.

It's the exact same reason that it's good to do a ton of research about a particular period of history before writing a novel set in it--so you can walk around in the world, so it's real, so it has things you can pick up and touch and smell.

ChunkyC

Re: writing time

Hey Mac - I once woke up about an hour before normal and hand-wrote the entire outline of what has become a short story now submitted to a major sci-fi magazine. It doesn't happen often, but that blinding flash of inspiration is one of the greatest thrills I have yet to come across in writing.

Kate Nepveu

incluing

maestrowork wrote:
I think that becomes a necessary and important skills of a storyteller. How to bring out relevant information of the characters without being intrusive.
Jo Walton (author of four published novels, Campbell Award-winner) coined the term "incluing" for this, that is, how one clues in the reader--I usually hear this used with reference to world-building, but it works for character backgrounds too.

If you read fantasy, you could do much worse than to pick up either _The King's Peace_ or _Tooth and Claw_ and see how she does it. Other good fantasy examples off the top of my head: Steven Brust's _Agyar_ (diary of someone who's not quite your usual guy); Brust & Emma Bull's _Freedom and Necessity_ (epistolary novel set in 1849, though only maybe fantasy). Both of those are exceptionally good because they're diaries or letters and they only include what the character would *actually* *write* in a diary or letter. (And in fantasy it might be easier to see how incluing works, because there's more of it to be done: the reader needs to know about the world as well as the characters, whereas in mainstream writing the world is assumed.)

Oh! A good sample chunk of _F&N_ is still online: sample at Tor. So, just in the first two letters, we know (among many other things) that James and Richard have known each other since childhood, or at least know of each other's childhoods; that they are cousins through their fathers; that David is a rector; that Richard is romantically involved, but not married to, Kitty; and that they are at least relatively well-off financially. Besides getting quite a flavor of their personalities, of course.

_F&N_ is one of my favorite books in all of the world, I ought to say. But a close study of any of your favorite books would likely be rewarding.

maestrowork

Re: that's the trick

So see if I'm correct... the trick is: We don't have to let the readers know everything there is to know about the characters and their relationships with each other... but rather, let the characters and the relationships bring out the story -- if some of that information comes out in the narrative or dialogue (naturally), all the better.

I have had betas who asked me all kinds of questions about my characters and their relationships, history, etc. "Who is this person?" "Why did he say that to her?" I don't feel like having to explain everything... "He said to her because of their history... this and that... this and that... and that's why he acts this way... " It's tiring and irrelevant.

Kate Nepveu

Re: that's the trick

We don't have to let the readers know everything there is to know about the characters and their relationships with each other... but rather, let the characters and the relationships bring out the story -- if some of that information comes out in the narrative or dialogue (naturally), all the better.
Yes yes yes!

Ahem. That is to say, that's how this reader, at least, vastly prefers it.

ChunkyC

Re: incluing

I have had betas who asked me all kinds of questions about my characters and their relationships, history, etc. "Who is this person?" "Why did he say that to her?" I don't feel like having to explain everything... "He said to her because of their history... this and that... this and that... and that's why he acts this way... " It's tiring and irrelevant.

It'll be a challenge in rewrite to allow enough of the answers to your beta's questions to seep through without info-dumping, as you said before. You also have to cull what is not required to tell the story, from those elements that will enrich the reader's experience.

Karen Ranney

Your character

I have to know each character so well that I could identify him blindfold. I have to know his favorite color, where he went to school, who his favorite people and things are, what his childhood was like. Did he draw pictures on the inside of the closet? Collect rocks? Have a pet frog? Have a dog that ran away?

I may not tell the reader everything I know about this character, but it will be revealed. Who he is will dictate how he acts, which is the essence of characterization. His past will dictate his present, and his plans for the future.

James D Macdonald

Re: Your character

Right on, Karen.

I tell my readers everything they know -- but I don't tell them everything I know. If you know who your heroine's best friend was in fifth grade, and where she went on vacation in the summer between fifth and sixth grade, your character will be consistent in her later actions, in the story that you're telling your readers.

This is another bit of the modelwork question: A viewer can only see three sides of the model house. He assumes, because he knows what houses generally look like, and because you made the angles correctly, that there is a fourth side. This may not be true, you may not have a fourth side on that model house -- but the viewer will supply it.

The viewer also supplies an interior to that house, even though it may quite literally not exist... that's why I suggest that you build at least one interior room in your model house. You will know that it's there, and your knowledge will be transmitted to the people who see your model, through your increased confidence.

Even if you don't want to build a paper model house (though I suggest that you do -- all of the arts are related) you can still play with the Putting A Storebought Thing Into Another Storebought Setting and Creating Something Uniquely Your Own in the Process by using one of those little Collectible Cottages and some model railroad landscaping. Here's where to get workshop instructions for doing that.

Remember when I said, long ago, that you had to follow along and work the problems to see what I mean? This is another one of those where I suggest you really try.

How many of y'all have memorized that speech from Richard II? How many have retyped the first chapter from a favorite novel?

qatz

Jim

Your dad was a genius. Who else but one would make fully formed hams and hang them in the galley of a ship behind shut doors, never to be seen again? I have heard also of others who did this, with different subjects. Geniuses all, in my book. Q

SRHowen

small details of the past

can be worked in-- in a tense situation a character might long for a smoke, but refuse to give in because "five years ago it took him a year to quit" or as James said, it took the life of his father or someone important. Small detail worked in--but in a way that seems natural. A simple sentence after describing someone the character just met--she reminded him of his ex wife.

Ahh--background without info dump, he once smoked, he was once married to a (whatever type person that the character just met.)

Once you learn to work facts in this way, you will do it all the time and it will flow with the text so the reader doesn't even know they are getting past facts but they will come away from the story feeling like they have a complete picture of the character.

Shawn

maestrowork

So, you do somehow sneaked in "background" information in a non-intrusive way? Or do you just leave it (and not tell the readers)? E.g.

He longs for a smoke, but he doesn't dare touch a cigarette.

OR

He longs for a smoke, but he doesn't dare touch a cigarette, not after quitting after five years of struggle.

Either way, the character does something that is true to his character, but one doesn't tell the readers why, and the other does. Which is better?

SRHowen

The second

The first just adds confusion and annoyance--the reader knows you know why he can't touch the cigs, but you are not telling them. Not good.

The second gives the info and you move on. But the reader now puts things into perspective--the pencils your main character chews, and tiny bits of paper he is always brushing off his desk into the trash can after tense phone calls--etc.

Shawn

James D Macdonald

He longs for a smoke, but he doesn't dare touch a cigarette.

OR

He longs for a smoke, but he doesn't dare touch a cigarette, not after quitting after five years of struggle.

Not enough information to tell which is "better." What's the chapter it's in look like? What's your usual style? What else is going on?

Is it even necessary to mention him longing for a smoke? Me, I'd just say He longed for a smoke and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.