Help! I just deleted my work!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any place where it gets automatically saved to?

I'm sure I remember setting up an auto-draft-saving thing, but I don't know where I would find it. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I just did that

I'm too stupid to live. :rant:And so's my computer.

:cry::cry::cry:

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
What program are you using? I know Word 2010 saves versions of the file and you can access that in the 'file' menu (I think... I haven't played with it enough at work to figure it out). If you deleted the documents from the directory, check the recycle bin. If you accidentally did a ctrl+A (select all) and then deleted it all, a ctrl+Z (undo) will work if you haven't saved the document.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thank you - but no, it's not there.

Ok - well - I can't find it. What I did was to close down the doc I was working on, instead of the other one. So - I guess - gone, huh? And if I can just say here that I was just building up the voice FOR THE FIRST TIME .... grrr.

*sob*

Anyway.

At least I know the voice is in here somewhere (points to head).

I hate you, little-closing-the-document-down-button. You'll burn in hell.

:mob:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which version of Word are you using?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

*blush*

To be fair, it's been very good to me in the past...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked for a file with a .wbk extension in the folder? Or done a search for all files with a .wbk extension?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked for a file with a .wbk extension in the folder? Or done a search for all files with a .wbk extension?

No - I haven't! Thats exactly what I was trying to remember! It might be too late now, but I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck!

ETA: Nope. Nuffink.

Never mind. I'm over it now. I can start over again tomorrow, I probably didn't lose anything grippingly wonderful really. The world of literature will survive. It's just that -

:cry:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried closing down Word and bringing it back up to see if it automatically gives you a list of files to choose?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried closing down Word and bringing it back up to see if it automatically gives you a list of files to choose?

That would have been smart - but no, I didn't. And its not there any more.

ETA: That's probably exactly what I should have done, isn't it? Maybe I should remember that... Because, frankly, panicking didn't help as much as I might have thought....

I will breathe. I will recover. I will go and find something smaller than me and ki- No. I will just breathe. And recover...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Did you look in the AutoRecover files? The most recent automatic save should be there.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you - it doesn't seem to be there. I'm not going to break my heart over this - I'll just start that grab again tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your help, people. I don't know quite what I did, actually. It should be in automatic backup world, but if it is, I can't find it.

It's not a big grab - maybe 200 words. I can do it again. And, you know, SAVE it...

irritating, but not lethal.

Thanks.

Alley, thanks for unearthing those instructions. I tried them all - at least I know it isn't lurking in there somewhere, grinning maniacally...

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
3500 words. That's my record for MS Word being unable to recover from my stupidity. In the middle of a CUT and paste from one Word doc to another. Brrrrring!

"Hello?... Oh, yeah, I've got a spreadsheet with that. Here, let me copy and paste the data into an email."
Select, CTRL+C... wait... didn't I...?

Bad words, bad words, bad words.

Double-check your auto-save settings. It sounds like it may already be too late. But you MIGHT be able to find a version of your document. But I suspect the link you've already received led you there.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I just did that

I'm too stupid to live. :rant:And so's my computer.

:cry::cry::cry:

:e2salute: (cue taps)

There were a bunch of other smilies that could have worked for this situation, but I decided to take the melodramatic route. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2salute: (cue taps)

There were a bunch of other smilies that could have worked for this situation, but I decided to take the melodramatic route. :D

I so want that smilie!!! I have a million uses for it!! Where is it? Give it to me!!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for heaven's sake - how have I missed it all these years.... ?

ETA: What's it called, Medi? I can't see it.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
If it's any consolation (#1), this has happened to nearly all of us at one time or another. After a while you get in the habit of frequently hitting control-S. Oh, and emailing your manuscript to yourself in case you have a hard disk crash. It is said that there are two types of people in this world - those who have had a hard disk crash and those who are about to.

If it is any consolation (#2), I often find that when I rewrite something that I've lost this way, the second version can come out better than the first. It is as if the period spent in my memory and not on the page has magically polished it. Made it leaner. More fit for purpose. Zingier.

You may find that it is quicker to rewrite it than to worry about recovering it. And it's a more zen and positive way to look at it. What you don't want to do is worry about that lost fragment. If it's gone, it's gone. Don't look back.

In the immortal words of South Pacific "I'm going to wash that man right out of my hair ..."