Is it OK for a movie producer to see my unpublished book?

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
I appologize for the long set up, but here are the details:

Years ago I was in a hostage situation that ended violently.

Even though this happened quite a few years ago, I got a call a few months ago from a Hollywood producer who intends to make a feature film about the incident. He interviewed me - I signed a release, but had a lawyer go over it and make sure that I kept all rights to my story, even though it allowed him to use material from the interview in the screenplay he was writting.

Anyway, I thought with the possible movie in the works, now would be a good time to get my own book of this story finished. I've writen the book, frankly with some help from him along the way (he's studied the incident extensively and I think he knows more about it than I do).

His screenplay is finished and it looks like it might start filming soon. My book is finished - I've sent queries to agents and gotten back mostly "Sorry, not interested"s, with one agent asking for a proposal.

The producer and I have e-mailed back and forth several times since the first interview, in a recent e-mail, he mentioned that he would be happy to read my book if I wanted him to. He added that he doesn't know much about the literary world (he's been in film for years - I IMDB'd him), but he'd ask around if he could help.

so my questions is: Am I going to run into any problems if I send my book to this guy? He's very likable and seems trustworthy - but I don't want to do anything stupid and later have an agent go "You did WHAT?"

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
My two cents, until the experts come along.

Why would you send it to him, if he knows nothing about the literary world (and may not have any contacts there)? Who else is he going to show it to? Are you expecting some sort of feedback?

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an agent yet for this book, but one agent asked for a proposal and then followed it up by asking for revisions to the proposal. So I e-mailed him and asked if it was an issue. He replied that it wasn't an issue and might even help.

As to why I would send to this guy - during the writing of the book, he and I exchanged frequent e-mails. I answered questions for him that helped with his screenplay and he sent me some useful information that was instrumental in writing the book. He seems genuinely interested both in seeing the book and helping if he can.

So I went ahead and sent it to him. If it's a dumb thing, it's already done. If I live to regret it, I'll let everyone know.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My gut says not to do it, but hey, it also says not to eat onions and that never stops me.

My reason is that the film industry is notorious for lifting story, carefully changing it enough that you can't sue, and ruining your chances for sale by coming out with a product before you can--often a poorly crafted product to boot. Then, when your work comes out, it seems derivative, an imitator riding on the movie's coattails. You own the rights to your story of how the events played out, but he wasn't there, and surely your manuscript contains elements which will help his movie which are not exclusive to your story.

What's he got to offer you in return? It seems that this producer can do little or nothing to aid you in achieving your goal. His connections won't be in publishing. The agents he knows handle screenplays, not books.

But what's done is done. I hope he's on high moral ground and wouldn't dream of using your work in any way, but for the movie business, that would make him a rare fellow.

Maryn, hoping all goes well

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Have you mentioned in the query that a movie based on these real-life events is in production? Because that would make the draw of your book stronger.

And, yes, what everyone else said: if he wants to see your book, he needs to wait until it's published and/or buy an option on it as an unpublished work. This is a business transaction, and you don't need to do him any favors.

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone's concerns. I had them myself or I wouldn't have posted the question.

I guess what prompted me to even consider sending him the book was that he and I have become quite friendly since the initial interview and he (as I said) seemed genuinely interested in helping me.

I'm naive, but I'm also aware that I may be completely wrong about him and it would probably be better to be cautious. But since the agent who currently has my proposal (a pretty reputable agent with a good agency) seemed to think their was little chance for harm, I've jumped off the cliff already. Let's hope there's water below.

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
Have you mentioned in the query that a movie based on these real-life events is in production? Because that would make the draw of your book stronger.

I certainly would've thought it would make the appeal stronger and so I did mention that fact. But my ratio of "No thanks" to nibbles is about 100 to 1 right now.

As far as the producer guy buying an option: Even though I was there, I think he knows more about this case than I do by far. He's actually been very generous with providing me materials. He's already interviewed everyone involved and has blueprints of the building, police reports, etc.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm naive, but I'm also aware that I may be completely wrong about him and it would probably be better to be cautious. But since the agent who currently has my proposal (a pretty reputable agent with a good agency) seemed to think their was little chance for harm, I've jumped off the cliff already. Let's hope there's water below.

Since an agent has already told you it shouldn't be an issue, I say you can stop worrying about legal/publishing issues. Obviously you trust the guy, so hopefully your gut is right. Seeing as he has a screenplay in the works, I'd be surprised if he wants to totally rip off your book. You said he's been in the industry for years--he probably also knows what could get HIM in trouble and can probably make a movie himself. I'm sure most of it boils down to curiosity since you're working with the same topic, and you're an eyewitness.

Just my $.02 based on the info given here (but I can bit a bit naive myself). ;)

-B-

Registered
Reaction score
My reason is that the film industry is notorious for lifting story, carefully changing it enough that you can't sue, and ruining your chances for sale by coming out with a product before you can--often a poorly crafted product to boot. Then, when your work comes out, it seems derivative, an imitator riding on the movie's coattails.

This is very true. I can't prove it for 100% sure, but I strongly suspect this very thing happened to a story of mine. It's one reason I've been antsy about trying to get it published. My circumstance is a quite a bit different as I had posted this story on an old web site I had (Believe me, I now know it was stupid on my part). But either way, I'd be very careful in dealing with anyone or anything connected to Hollywood.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Without know this guy and his credentials or reputation, I can only answer generically.

First of all, almost everyone in this town "seems trustworthy." But the reality is not in your favor. I'm assuming you have no representation, literary or otherwise, correct? And in signing this deal with him, was it with him directly or with a production company or studio? Were you signing over rights specifically to your experience in this situation? What credit are you getting in this film? Have you had any contact with the screenwriter? How far along is production? Is anyone attached? Is there a budget? If this is a small production company, are they attached to a major studio or distribution company?

I ask all of this because I'm not exactly sure what your role is in this production. Bottom line is that if this film gets made and released, there's someone out there who will want to rep the book, especially if your name is in the credit roll.

But not knowing who this guy is, I'd be wary of submitting your writing to him. Who's to say he isn't writing his own book about it?

My $0.02.

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize anyone was still commenting on this thread.

Since the agent who had expressed interest in the book said that it wouldn't hurt anything and might even help, I did sent the book to the movie producer to read. Now, I really don't have any prominent place in his movie. I was just one of the people there, he interviewed me as research for the film and that is as far as it goes.

Now, I completely realize that Hollywood people can be very good and appearing trustworthy and then turn out not to be so. So far, I still feel okay.
He read the book, complimented it and essentially critiqued it. there were a couple of points that I got wrong, based on inaccurate newspaper accounts, which he corrected. He also offered a couple of suggestions on expanding the story.

Shortly after, the agent who had initially expressed interest in the book called me, primarily to ascertain just what my legal rights were and were not. They wanted me to fax them the release form which I signed for my interview. I passed some of their questions to Mr. Producer, who answered them and offered to talk to them if they had any other questions or doubts.

And that's where we're at now. I'm now just playing the waiting game with the agent (familiar story).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I've been following this a bit.

Maryn, glad you reappeared