Confess! Do you actually fantasize about publication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idkwiaowiw

I'm late for life! Shoot.
Registered
Reaction score
hehe. I imagine being on Oprah. I don't know why I would be on the show. On my good days, when writing is going great, I imagine being on the show because she picked my book for her book club. On bad days, I imagine me being on the show because my book has sold the least amount of copies out of any book ever published in the world. So...two extremes.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I have imagined being on Loose Women before... but that's mostly because I fancy a couple of the presenters.

(Loose Women is a lunchtime British chat show hosted by female presenters.)

Reaction score
No, actually he actually fantasises about ladies who are rather-

Hold up. This ain't Office Party.

*shuts up*

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
That too.

*Ahem*

So, yeah. Loose Women would be my chosen TV show. Kinda daft really, as it's often rubbish. I wouldn't be much use on Newsnight though. ;)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, no, not really.

I’ve always assumed that if I finish a work I’m happy with, I’ll be published one day. But that’s about as far as it went. No in depth thoughts or anything like that.

If I do get published, it isn’t like it’s really gonna change anything about me or my life. I’ll have a new job that I like, but otherwise, I’ll still be the same man and the people around me will still feel the same about me. They’ll either love me or not. But I doubt it’ll have anything to do with my being published.

And I’ll be publishing under a nom de plume anyway, so I’m not interested in anything like that.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks I would do Simon Mayo's book show, on bbc radio 5-live, instead of a TV show. Then it would be one up the bum to him for getting so tetchy when I was having a laugh with Josephine Cox on his show.

I'd phoned up to ask her something about the writing game, she liked my name and said she would use it for a character in one of her novels, to which I asked if I was getting royalties? :D Simon Mayo seemed to think I was ungrateful, so me and Josephine turned ion him and had a laugh at his expense bwahahaha. :D

That too.

*Ahem*

So, yeah. Loose Women would be my chosen TV show. Kinda daft really, as it's often rubbish. I wouldn't be much use on Newsnight though. ;)

Reaction score
I have my Booker acceptance speech all prepared.

It goes a little something like this:

"Hahahahahaha! SUCK MY BALLS, BITCHES! I don't owe this to anyone. It was me, all me! NOT YOU - ME! I RULE! BOW DOWN BEFORE THE MIGHT OF SCARLETPEACHES! Oh, and buy my book. Thanks. BAI!"

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
A round of applause for SP because I totally agree with you. :D

I have my Booker acceptance speech all prepared.

It goes a little something like this:

"Hahahahahaha! SUCK MY BALLS, BITCHES! I don't owe this to anyone. It was me, all me! NOT YOU - ME! I RULE! BOW DOWN BEFORE THE MIGHT OF SCARLETPEACHES! Oh, and buy my book. Thanks. BAI!"

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Nice one SP.

My getting published fantasy is centered on seeing my book out in the real world. I would love to see someone on a plane, the beach or at the park reading my book - perhaps a look of stern, concentration on their face. Hopefully they would be engrossed in the story, flipping the pages fast. To me, that would mean more than seeing it on the shelf. Oh, and Oprah terrifies me. That sounds more like a nightmare rather than a fantasy.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I just read your profile Octavia, so I'm pretty sure you'll see that goal in whatever amout of time it takes. One of my favorite pieces of advice is "When you find what is important in life, push everything else aside." I don't think its meant to betaken literally, but I've thrown myself into writing too.

Oh, and I want to be the person you catch reading your book. I love to talk about writing almost as much as writing, which is why I spend a lot of time here.

Now I forget what this thread was...I'll be right back.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah, fantasizing about being published.

YES. Final answer. ~ Pascal says that "we are only truly happy when daydreaming about future happiness.~ I like that.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to do an AW book tour. We can all meet up at SP's place and help her with that award speech. It's too passive.

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
I do fantasize about being published, but right now I'm more concentrated on re-writing Witch Tourniquet.

Here's my order of fantasies: Polish WT to near perfection, querying, landing an agent, then publishing, then striving for NYT Bestseller, then doing everything to become a full-time writer.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the "no" group. It'd be great if it happened, and I'll submit what's worthy once I've polished it, but the end result doesn't matter.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
hehe. I imagine being on Oprah. I don't know why I would be on the show. On my good days, when writing is going great, I imagine being on the show because she picked my book for her book club. On bad days, I imagine me being on the show because my book has sold the least amount of copies out of any book ever published in the world. So...two extremes.

I've fantasized about being picked for Oprah's book club, then graciously declining the offer, thus giving me a chance to tell Oprah that I cannot morally support her hawking of pseudoscience.

Seriously, I've had that fantasy. More than once.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
I fantasize about getting better. So better, in fact, that my stories earn more, stick around longer, become besotted with critical praise, and my words find themselves upon lips and brain of casual conversation and lingering thought.

Mostly, though, my words vanish without a trace.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I fantasise about the signing sessions.

I have been known to practise my signature for the occasion.

Shara

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
You've never submitted anything anywhere for publication, have you?

caw
Yes, actually, I have. The first submission I ever sent out was accepted by a magazine. The first book I queried got me an agent. I don't write because I want to be published. If people read my work and enjoy it, that certainly makes me happy, but I have a day job I like and I have no desire to be a full-time author. I'm realistic about the market and the time I have to devote to the process, as well as my slow rate of production. I set my expectations low and if better happens, fabulous. It not, *shrug*, I can still read them myself.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Hey - when we get published and go on book tour (like Wayne said) we're all going to get in line to get each other's books signed, right? And we'll go - "hey - guess who I am?" and hold up the line, while we try to guess who the crazy bookbuyer is on AW.

I'll go easy on you, I'll have my wings on!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Explains more than perhaps you intended. Are you familiar with the word "disingenuous"?

caw
Are you familiar with the extent of my publication history? No. It is short, at least in part due to the fact that I haven't pursued it all that hard because it's not the reason I write, and also because, contrary to what you're implying, not everything I write is golden.

I did not say or imply in my original post that publication (results) don't or shouldn't matter for anyone else and, in fact, I think it's great for anyone to have that motivation to propel them in their writing. Why does it have to be a requirement for every writer? And why has has my response gotten your britches in a knot? Good luck with your goals, blacbird. I'm happy to engage in conversation on writing with you, but I'm not going to continue this current dialogue, which seems more about whatever imagined asshattery you've read into my posts than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.