Killing Wolverine

Status
Not open for further replies.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Well if they kill off Wolverine and cannot find a way to placate Marvel fans enough in his absence then he will be brought back simply because Marvel most likely does not have the lack of foresight of the Transformers writers and they have the long term goal of keeping the X-Men around forever. Laura/X-23 was mentioned but I highly doubt she could fill Wolverine's shoes; love him or hate him, Wolverine is probably the most recognizable of all the X-Men and accepting a clone as his replacement would be tantamount to accepting a clone of The Hulk, Iron Man or Spider Man. I think they will try it for real, see if they can come up with a way to make X-Men compelling without him, and then bring him back once they panic and realize they are loosing too many readers. They might try to bring in a young, college age blue collar type worker who discovers out of nowhere that he has all of Logan's mutant powers and have some him take on the role of Wolverine and fighting in street clothes as opposed to the costume of Wolverine. Maybe they could pull that off if they still have writers who are skilled and slick enough.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Wolverine's died before.

He came back three frames later, regenerated from a single drop of his own blood.
If you're talking about the X-Men annual with the Horde in it, this isn't quite right: Wolverine didn't "regenerate from a single drop of blood"; rather a drop of his blood fell on a magic crystal, and the crystal, not his regenerative power, returned him to life.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Wolverine? Dead?

Say it ain't so!
Odds of Wolverine dying and staying dead: zero.

I figure Marvel's having to tease fans by saying they'll kill him because they blew their ability to tease them about revealing his origins.
Wolverine is gonna take a dirt nap? Okay. Plant him out back right next to the graves of Superman, Batman, Captain America, The Human Torch and every other superhero Marvel and DC have killed off only to bring back 12 months later.
Says the man who clearly understands the comics industry.
Killing a comic book character has become one of the most transparent and tiresome tropes of the industry. Hey, I heard Archie is getting knocked off too! Sob-sob. He was only in high school for 70 years! He died so young.

Oh well, dig an extra hole for Archie and drop him in it too. :e2yawn:

There's only one thing that can kill a superhero. Low sales. It not only kills 'em dead it keeps 'em dead.
I'm fond of the term "currently dead". No one is unrevivable, especially if there's a successful movie or a popular run of a book based on an adjacent bit of continuity.

Female characters have a greater tendency to stay dead than male ones. This needs no explanation.
As far as controversies go croaking Wolverine is a pretty lightweight one. Why not go balls out and have him come out as gay? Just the reaction of the fanboys alone would be priceless.

Now THAT would be worth plunking down $3.99 for. :ROFL:
It's already happened. It appeared in X-Treme X-Men, so it's imperfectly canonical, but I'm pretty sure someone at Marvel is thinking like you.

He can be blasted down to bare metal, flushed out an airlock, drowned, starved or dehydrated, frozen solid, roasted, dropped from ten miles up, dropped into a volcano, etc...

Pretty much the only harm he's impervious to are aging, diseases, parasites, and physical injuries that don't kill him in an instant.
I've seen an argument that he could be killed by being teleported into an off-planet hard-vacuum environment, but IMO that's just hibernation. Bringing the remains back into a terrestrial environment and letting 'em soak for a while should revive him.

Given Deadpool's canonical relationship with Death, are there any currently dead Marvel characters who couldn't be brought back by hiring Deadpool to retrieve them? Deadpool's obviously descended from Roger Rabbit and Bugs Bunny by way of Ambush Bug and The Heckler, so it's a good bet he can do anything as long as it's funny.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about the X-Men annual with the Horde in it, this isn't quite right: Wolverine didn't "regenerate from a single drop of blood"; rather a drop of his blood fell on a magic crystal, and the crystal, not his regenerative power, returned him to life.

Wasn't it the M'Kraan crystal? (I can't remember, but if it was, that's not magic.)

It was said in the narration that - given enough power - Wolverine could regenerate from "a single drop of blood," or "a single cell." One of the two. He was killed (spine ripped out, IIRC) and a drop of blood fell onto the crystal. ZZZZP - new Wolvie. (Though he shouldn't have maintained the adamantium...)

Status
Not open for further replies.