Agent Contracts are they all =?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions on agent contracts. I know attorneys but they are costly.

SDBmania

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottdavidbrown.com
As in, you are going to sign a contract possibly?

I'll just throw in some poitners.

-Make sure you read the contract completely.
-Your agent shouldn't charge you any fees upfront. They shouldn't get any money until your work is sold to a publisher.
-You should still retain the copyright of the work. Meaning, it's still your property.

I'm still no quire sure if that's what you are asking for.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
agent contract ...

Perfect info that is what I was needing. I am close to signing and wanted to be sure as no sense in getting burned from the start. Thanks!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
( I know attorneys but they are costly. )

Especially if they're not familiar with the publishing industry. Don't bother unless they're an expert in the field.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
agent expenses/termination clause

I noticed that the agent included a expense clause stating "agent expenses will be paid up to $300 or deducted etc" then later it states any agent expense over $300 must be approved by author etc. Is this normal agent expenses? It says for mailing etc..

Nothing about termination that was clear I am going to add my own passage. Any suggestions or ideas for a termination clause? I definitely want this as no sense in this sitting on a desk for years-I would like to live to see it published (laugh)

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Often it says something along the line that either party can terminate with a written (30) 60, or whatever seems reasonable notice. The agent will inform the author as to where the manuscript's been sent. Any manuscript currently under consideration will remain under the current agent as agent of record and the rest will be withdrawn and returned to the author, or some varient of that. The important thing is how much notice and what happens to any maunscripts the agent is sitting on or shopping. You might want to ask Victoria Strauss directly, she's very good at this kind of stuff

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Contract

Instead of concentrating on the contract, concentrate on the agent. A reputable agent has reputable clients, and at least a couple of them should have names you recognize, and names you can Google. A reputable agent will also have a list of sales to good, mainstream publishers.

A good, reputable agent will have a good, fair contract.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Make sure the contract is on a good bond paper, otherwise it's a scam. Also, beware type fonts! Is it Sans Serif? Scam!!!! Run away!!!!

(*shuffles off*)

Status
Not open for further replies.